What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mannah stakes claim for step-up to Blues

Hurriflatch

Referee
http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...-claim-for-stepup-to-blues-20100605-xlrx.html

Mannah stakes claim for step-up to Blues

ADRIAN PROSZENKO AND DANIEL LANE

June 6, 2010

NSW coach Craig Bellamy has no doubt Parramatta prop Tim Mannah will play Origin - the only question is when.
Mannah produced a man-of-the-match display from the bench against Bellamy's Storm on Friday night to further press his claims for Blues selection. ''I thought he played really well. I've been impressed with him for a while,'' Bellamy told The Sun-Herald.
''He's only a young guy and throwing him on that sort of stage too early can sometimes be detrimental, but he's certainly a very good player. I'm sure at some stage he'll be a representative player.''
Advertisement: Story continues below
It is understood Mannah and Manly counterpart Jason King have been mentioned as possible replacements for Josh Perry, who is in danger of losing his spot for Origin II.

Mannah's form also impressed Eels coach Daniel Anderson, who labelled the prop as ''probably our most consistent player this season''.

''He continues to impress,'' Anderson said. ''His teammates enjoy his contribution, as I do as a coach. He's developing a bit of a personality as well. He feels like he's really entrenched in the team and now he's starting to play in a very relaxed and natural manner.''

Anderson said Mannah was ready to take the step up to interstate level and hoped he was in the frame for selection.

Mannah made 209 metres from his 22 hit-ups against the Storm in the most brutal match of the season to date. Afterwards, Eels co-captain Nathan Hindmarsh was convinced Mannah was ready to handle anything the Maroons forward pack could throw at him.

''He should be seriously looked at,'' Hindmarsh said. ''He's been playing great and to be winning man-of-the-match awards off the bench, he's got to be doing something right.''

Mannah, a high-profile Christian, laughed when asked if the aggression displayed in Friday night's match - and Origin - contradicted his religious beliefs. ''When I'm on the field I respect my opponents,'' he said. ''It is an aggressive sport - it's a collision sport - so I'm not a softie in that regard.''
He presumed Friday's aggro-fuelled match against a Melbourne team that contained Queensland Origin players including Billy Slater, Cameron Smith, Cooper Cronk and Greg Inglis was a yardstick for what he might expect should he be selected for NSW.

''Melbourne has so many Queensland players it gave an idea of what Origin could be, though I know Origin football would be a different ball game. I'm just like every other player in the NRL - I want to play Origin.''

Hindmarsh said Mannah was the type of player NSW needed. ''He's played enough first grade, he was very good for City and he's been out best player all year - and he's coming off the bench,'' Hindmarsh said.

Parramatta's Timana Tahu, who also plays centre for NSW, agreed Mannah had proved he was ready for the step up with his strong performance for City Origin last month.

''I have no doubt if he was selected for Origin he wouldn't let the state down.''

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
he's better than some of the marshmallows that played in SOO 1

Pazza

First Grade
too young, needs to play another finals series and another off season working on his frame.

the SOO arena is the ultimate testing ground for props, guys like weyman have a tough time playing. dont wanna send in young timmy under cooked!

Hellsy

Immortal
I've said it before and I'll say it again.
He would play with heart and would let NO-ONE down with his efforts.

As Twizzle said... better than some of the marshmallows that played Game 1

Haynzy

First Grade
Hindy and Tahu know what it takes to play origin..... That's good enough for me.

I vote pick him.

HevyDevy

Coach
I'd be happy enough to give him another 12 months, but gee he is playing well. I can't think of another NSW prop playing any better right now.

Eels Dude

Coach
I'd chuck him straight in young or not. Let's face it NSW have no-one better. He's gonna be a long term stayer in the Blues jersey so they may as well give him the added experience now so he can rise to the challenge even better in future years.

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach
I feel that if he waits 12 more months and continues to put the effort he is now, he will be guarenteed a Blues jersey for years and will become a leader of the team.

Fee

Juniors
He's way better than White and Perry, give hima bench spot he is a true play from the heart player , as Hellsy said, he wouldnt let anyone down. Love Timmy Mannah.:D

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
as the great man once said

"If you're good enough, you're old enough"

Daneel

Bench
No way should Mannah get picked for origin. He has to much heart to be playing for nsw, and as a qlder i much prefer the likes of perry carting the ball up for the blues.

In all seriousness though i thought before the first origin he should have been a smokey, since then his form has gone up another gear, he is a must selection for nsw and will play orgin for 10 or more years once given the chance

oldmancraigy

Coach
We're going to lose anyway if any of Perry, White, King or Kite make up the front row rotation.

So why not put him in - worst case is we lose, but he's had experience at that level and is ready to go next season.

You never know, he might even play well! Oh wait, that was Poore last season, and because he was our best prop in Origin 3 he got sacked for this season - despite solid club form (bar 2 ordinary games to start the year).

NSW selectors :crazy:

Parra Steve

Juniors
His last 2 performances against quailty sides have left no doubt in my mind that he is ready for Origin. He's so hard to bring down in the tackle. Id go as far to say he's harder to bring down than fui.

Latest posts