What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Manu released. Back at the Warriors

Meth

Staff member
I want him to do well, but I don't really understand what he offers the club. We seem to have a pretty good culture going on at the moment and I would see Manu as being a potential threat, not an asset to this.

Pop in for one session and tell the young guys about how easy it is to screw up your career if you hang out with deadbeats and then leave Penrose immediately.

betcats

Referee
That is pretty wild. I know people make mistakes and all that but fmd he was importing Meth its not exactly a small or victimless mistake to make.

Reactions: JJ

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
I think it shows a great culture, shows all players that the club will always support you. As a player Manu was a cult figure and great player for the club, bums on seats player.. Went down a dark path. The Warriors club won't hang you out to dry.

Did his time.

Meth

Staff member
Do us a favour everyone, don’t comment til you’ve actually listened to the clip. I won’t.

Had read an article beforehand. Listened to the clip and there was nothing there to change my mind. An ongoing association in a mentoring role? No thanks

Meth

Staff member
Look, I loved Manu Vatuvei. I re-watched some highlights of him yesterday. But he disgraced himself post-career. Also, even towards the tail end of his time with us, he was culturally problematic.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Had read an article beforehand. Listened to the clip and there was nothing there to change my mind. An ongoing association in a mentoring role? No thanks
Yeah well I’m not really aiming that comment at you, more people who’d feel inclined to voice opinions without knowing any detail beyond the original post.

now that I’ve checked it out:

I don’t really have a problem with this. He’s not being paid by the club, so you can’t say he’s being rewarded, and given he’s been paroled early he has presumably completed his prison rehab to the satisfaction of the prison authorities. I think he is in a pretty effective position to provide a cautionary example about how a post-football career can go wrong, and those sort of examples are just as important as the positive ones. I also think the involvement is good for Manu himself and will help give him direct post-prison, and in keeping with the club’s commitment to try to look after former players post-football when it’s needed.

What he did made him scum of the earth

But he did his time and probably wants to rebuild his life.
He lost 3 years of his life, lost his reputation, lost his marriage, lost custody of his Daughters and pretty sure he lost his house.

Im okay with his 2nd chance starting back at the club.
I mean he wont be walking around with point bags and a pipe asking Te Marie and Charnze if they want a hit

Blair

Coach
...I mean he wont be walking around with point bags and a pipe asking Te Marie and Charnze if they want a hit
Actually, maybe Manu could help with Pompey's lack of pace?

Seriously though, I work face-to-face with the general public. When someone gets out of jail it's not like they just magically and conveniently disappear. To the contrary they're back in town and getting around just like everyone else.

If a former employer - like with Manu and the Warriors - think they can step in and make that transition from prison back to society a bit easier for all then it's got to be a good thing.

Rich102

Staff member
Sorry. Not for me.
Importing and selling hard drugs.
Shows a serious lack of judgment.
He should be nowhere near the club.

Fufu Andronez

First Grade
I'm alright with it too, just a bit surprised you can get out so early on such serious charges, but that's more a gripe with the courts.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
Listen to all the Narcos.

Did he randomly kill Muslims with heavy weapons, rape someone, murder someone, did he touch young children.

Your idea of bad crime and mine are very different.

Helping supply people with mental health issues is the worst to you.

You are not alone, just have no idea. Keep making career criminals.

Fufu Andronez

First Grade
Listen to all the Narcos.

Did he randomly kill Muslims with heavy weapons, rape someone, murder someone, did he touch young children.

Your idea of bad crime and mine are very different.

Helping supply people with mental health issues is the worst to you.

You are not alone, just have no idea. Keep making career criminals.
I've missed you around here

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Remember Matagi? We should at least give Vatuvei a 2nd go. Jesus I'm glad the club can see the right thing.
Was about to mention him. And then there was Lodge of course. And while he obviously didn’t come back to the Warriors after offending, Russell Packer had a few more years of first grade after his jail time. All worse offenders IMO.