What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Manu Vatuvei eyeing NRL comeback

Rich102

Staff member
Manu Vatuvei is considering a playing comeback, and says he would love to return to the Warriors.

The prolific winger left the club last August for the Super League, after 14 seasons at Mt Smart where he broke all kinds of records.

But his stint at Salford was cut short, when the club terminated his contract in January, after he suffered an achilles tendon injury in pre-season training.

Vatuvei returned to Auckland in July, and is in the final stage of his rehabilitation process.

"The body is good, it's just my achilles," said Vatuvei. "So I'll see how that goes and find out from there, when I start running. After that I will decide if I do a comeback and return to playing, or hang up the boots."

"I'll like to go back to the Warriors, if I ever come back here, back to the NRL but I'll see how things go. There's a lot to get back there."

Vatuvei is a legend of the club, with a remarkable 152 tries in 226 games, but is realistic about his current standing. David Fusitu'a and Ken Maumalo have been two of the best performers this season, and it's hard to see where he might fit in now at Mt Smart.

"I have to earn that jersey to play on that wing," said Vatuvei. "Dave and Ken have been playing outstanding for the Warriors so I would never take that away from anyone else, just because of who I am. I would want to earn the jersey and make sure I deserve it, to represent the boys."

The 32-year-old would consider going to another NRL club, though admits it would be "very weird" to play against the Warriors, and also hasn't ruled out a return to the northern hemisphere.

Vatuvei was also thrilled by today's long awaited confirmation of tests for Tonga against the Kangaroos (October) and Kiwis (June) in New Zealand.

www.nzherald.co.nz/league/news/article.cfm?c_id=79&objectid=12119589

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
Nup. I absolutely love me some Manu but 32-33 is over the hill. His body is poked, he's slowing down, Ken and Fus are the new wave and I'd imagine there's a bit of talent coming in behind them. UK or bust, unless he comes back to do what Ali did for a year in Intrust Cup

Big Marn

Juniors
Achilles injuries are notoriously tricky injuries to get over. Seahawks legend Richard Sherman who now plays cornerback for the 49ers in the NFL , did his achilles during the 2017 season (when he was still with the Seahawks) so alot of people interested to see if he is still the same player this season (begins today) after spending 10 months recovering from it. Hes a similar age to Manu - about 2 years younger.

Shaun Hewitt

First Grade
Got nothing but love for Manu
HOWEVER the way Ken and David are going, he'd find it hard to get in the team.
I'd also hate for him to tarnish his image by going on too long

JJ

Immortal
Hope he can TBH but the Warriors should NOT be interested, time to keep moving forward

Fufu Andronez

First Grade
Create a job for him. Some sort of ambassadorial role for young kids in the community, show them what hard work can accomplish. A few trips to Tonga, sell the Warriors as the NRL club to follow for the growing Tongan RL movement.

If he's got the itch to play let him have a few hit outs for the Vulcans with the young fellas, to pass on some of his knowledge

Meth

Staff member
Got nothing but love for Manu
HOWEVER the way Ken and David are going, he'd find it hard to get in the team.
I'd also hate for him to tarnish his image by going on too long

Yep, exactly. If Vatuvei was able to play a little better than either Ken or David, it'd still be a backward step to put Manu out there. ESL is his payday, if possible. The NRL has moved on.

VillaTheGorilla

Juniors
Well seeing as Kearny loves having a back on the bench, why not have Manu there?
If a centre gets injured, but Fusi there and Manu to wing. If a winger gets hurt it's a straight swap.

If no back gets injured let him run it up hard in the middle for 15 minutes at the end of the game...

Easy! :rofl:

sup42

Juniors
Cant see the Warriors going there after getting rid of almost all the players with the wrong attitude.

MKEB...

Staff member
I love him too bits...but. I see him as part of the bro-culture that I feel that Kearney and others have successfully dismantled.

Leber

Bench
No Leber. NSW Cup is for our up and comers, or first graders who need to find some form or fitness.

Manu's time with us has passed. The legend that he is.
What about Lauitiiti?

I don't see how a legendary first grade winger playing for our reserve comp when we don't have many up and comers on the wing coming through anyway, would be a hinderance.

Blair

Coach
What about Lauitiiti?

I don't see how a legendary first grade winger playing for our reserve comp when we don't have many up and comers on the wing coming through anyway, would be a hinderance.

I don't either, bro. It's just that a spot should always be there for a serious contender for A Grade. Look at Charnze, sure he didn't get a go this year but reserve grade had him ready.

We can even have a young fulla like Kata, who would probably play centre in an A Grade career, getting time in reggies on the wing (if reggies had other good centres). Big Manu just gets in the way of that.

I have an open mind though, if people like you think it's a good idea then it could be.

As mentioned, Manu's a 'Stupid-Sixer'. Their leadership stocks are low in our club. So he's not Ali in that regard.

Dirty Hoe

Juniors
NRL...you mean the Northland Rugby League? He'd be a good fit up there

Haven't been on the Forum for years...good to see some common names still running around. New layout is woeful.

BLN2

Juniors
Seems all our young guns coming through are backs, Manu playing NSW Cup would just block a development player, or someone like CNK/Perham will go. Know what I'd prefer.. JTS can't even get a spot atm

Campion

Juniors
I've heard bad things about Vatuvei's attitude. It's a no from me, even as an 'ambassador'-type role.