What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

maori tour to canada

ozbash

Referee
steve, if you get to see any games in the forthcoming tour, keep an eye out for (stormin) norm berryman. usually wears his hair in a ponytail and is/was an excitement machine.
he made the AB,s but i heard a rumour that his ingestion of illicit substances didnt go down to well with the management. :roll:

only a rumour of course.....

he used to play for the canterbury crusaders a couple of seasons back, before heading off overseas.

have you seen the maori squad ?

I'm going to try to go to the game near my home, near Toronto. I don't know much about the Maori. Christian Cullen played for them earlier in the year, but I don't imagine he'd come on this tour, would he?

ozbash

Referee
cully is off to ireland for 3 years after the nz npc season is over steve.
he has played 1 game for the maori -i think.

canada has done the dirty on the maori team mate,,, they have stopped 3 of our players from touring, flutey for an assault charge (hasnt even been to court yet !! ), matua parkinson for a drink driving conviction and one other (cant remember his name) for an assault conviction.lucky we arnt sending our girls netball team.... :lol:

seen as very very bad form in this part of the world,,the canadian govt are not on our xmas card list anymore.

i hope you get to see that game,, they are a very talented team and maori rugby is unique, like a cross between the barbarians and 7 aside..well worth watching.

ozbash said:
canada has done the dirty on the maori team mate,,, they have stopped 3 of our players from touring, flutey for an assault charge (hasnt even been to court yet !! ), matua parkinson for a drink driving conviction and one other (cant remember his name) for an assault conviction.lucky we arnt sending our girls netball team.... :lol:

seen as very very bad form in this part of the world,,the canadian govt are not on our xmas card list anymore.

i hope you get to see that game,, they are a very talented team and maori rugby is unique, like a cross between the barbarians and 7 aside..well worth watching.

Is that true, about our government not letting players come because of legal troubles? I wonder if Kobe Bryant will be able to play in Toronto against the Raptors this year.

I imagine the Maori will win despite the missing players - I do hope to get to the game, I think it's early August, I'd better get checking on how to get tickets. Not that it will be sold out.

JoeD

First Grade
CS, here Are a few paragraphs from an article from The NZ Herald which you might be interested in.

For aspiring sportsmen and women, there was a clear message in Canada's decision to refuse entry to three members of the Maori rugby team. Players with the likes of an assault conviction can forget about competing there. Those thinking of driving home after a night out drinking should think again because they are setting themselves up for the same fate. Even those charged with assault but not convicted cannot play on Canadian soil. The obvious conclusion is that rugby players must keep a scrupulously clean sheet. In its way, it is a worthy message. Certainly it has been a salutary lesson for our team. But it becomes one lacking credibility if it is not applied fairly, justly and consistently.

American ice-hockey teams that regularly cross into Canada to play matches must contain players with convictions for drink-driving or other offences that in Canada could be heard by a jury. It is generally recognised that around a third of New Zealand males have a conviction before they turn 24. The situation in the US must be similar. The difference in Canadian eyes: ice-hockey is a national obsession, while rugby has a low profile.

This selectivity can hardly help the promotion of minor sports. Canadian rugby has been seeking greater exposure, especially on the sevens circuit. The Maori episode effectively rules it out as one of the game's preferred destinations. Teams simply will not want to risk losing key players to misdemeanours that attract no sanction in other rugby-playing countries.

Full article:http://www.nzherald.co.nz/storydisplay.cfm?thesection=news&thesubsection=&storyID=3514440

Thanks, JoeD. The fact I hadn't heard of any of this here probably shows the low profile of rugby here. It does seem hypocritical - I'm sure there are NHL, NBA, and baseball players on US clubs who come into Canada to play, with similar criminal records. I know the baseball player Jose Canseco played for the Toronto Blue Jays a few years ago, and he had a conviction for domestic abuse, or assault. There were some protests from women's groups, but no question of him being allowed to play. Same with a Toronto Raptor named Alvin Robertson in the team's first season. 2 NBA players were charged with assault in an incident outside a Toronto strip club this past season - they will have to return for a trial sometime. But I'm sure they'll be allowed to play in Toronto when their teams visit next year. (One is all-star and 2000 Olympic team member Gary Payton, recently signed by the Lakers, I forget who the other one is.)

I wonder if Rugby Canada made any protest about this - I'm not sure it would have happened to a higher profile sport. Man United and some other high profile soccer teams are currently playing a series of games in the US. They're not playing in Canada, but if they were I don't know if the same thing would have happened to any of their players.

The more I think about this, the more it doesn't seem right.

It is generally recognised that around a third of New Zealand males have a conviction before they turn 24. Wow - that seems very high to me.

ozbash

Referee
we are a caring race steve,, we like to keep our policemen employed and the magistrates busy,, anyway........from the good guys at nzoom.com

The New Zealand Maori scored an impressive 65-27 win over Canada in the opening match of their three-game rugby tour on Sunday, but the World Cup-bound hosts took some positives from the contest.

Despite the efforts of Canada, the power and pace of the Maori backs told the story as its centres Norm Berryman and Rico Gear opened up holes time and again in Canada's backline.

Gear claimed one try for himself as Berryman and he laid on two apiece for wings Joe Maddocks, and Shayne Austin. Back rowers Troy Flavell and Ron Cribb also scored tries, with replacement halfback Brendon Haami scoring two in the space of 10 minutes when he came on in the second half.

Five eighth Willie Walker kicked a penalty and three conversions and second-half replacement Glen Jackson claimed two conversions.

Canada's all-time try scorer, Winston Stanley, got the 22nd of his career. Other Canadian tries were scored by Nik Witkowski, Bob Ross and Tkachuk. Ross was also successful with a penalty kick.

"We definitely made some huge improvements today and can take many positives from our performance," said Canada's captain Ryan Banks, comparing his side's effort to their woeful performance in last month's Churchill Cup.

"There was a lot more heart and effort from the team today. We put he ball over the line and that is what we have to do if we expect to win games."

In fact, Canada opened the scoring with the game just over a minute old when Montreal centre Nik Witkowski scored after a "bit hit" on Troy Flavell by a number of Canadian tacklers popped the ball loose, and after a quick interchange, Witkowski made the line.

"It is pleasing that we put 27-points on the board against such quality opposition," said Canadian coach David Clark. "They are big men with plenty of pace and once they got close to our line we were very vulnerable, however, we made it difficult for them.

"That is something we will have to look at before we face them next week in Toronto."

"I think it was a great display and the crowd enjoyed it," said Maori coach Matt Te Pou. "Canada had a lot of commitment, and I think to have a match with 100 points in it is good for rugby in Canada."

The Maoris play the Rugby Canada Super League Eastern All-Stars in Ottawa on Wednesday and Canada once again next Saturday in Toronto.

ozbash

Referee
game 2

The touring New Zealand Maori scored eight tries in blowing away a Canadian All Stars team 52-11 in Ottawa today.

After an unsettled first 20 minutes when the Maori led just 7-5, they picked up their rhythm gradually to move ahead 21-5 at halftime before scoring five tries in the second half.

"It's extremely hot, we had to cut off our warm-up session to just 10 minutes and get back into the shed," Maori coach Matt Te Pou told NZPA after the match.

"Sweat just poured from the guys and making handling hard. It was like a match on a wet day...that contributed to a rather scrappy first half.

"I think we bombed about four tries in that first half, but I suppose you can't really complain about 50 points in the end."

It was the second time in as many matches the touring side has rattled up more than 50 points on tour.

They beat the Canadian test side 65-27 last Sunday in their opening game and a return match between the two sides will be played in Kingston, Ontario, on Sunday (NZ time).

Tries by both the backs and forwards reflected the Maori team's all-round game today.

North Harbour's former All Blacks No 8 Ron Cribb was a standout with ball in hand. He smashed through the defence on several occasions to start the attacking momentum in the second half.

He scored one of the five tries by the Maori team in the second half.

Wayne Ormond set up winger Justin's Wilson's first try following a lineout close to the All Stars' line.

Scott Linklater was next to cross the try line after the Maori team decided to drive from a lineout.

Bryce Robins scored the third try, and Glen Jackson converted all three tries for their 21-5 lead at halftime.

"Once we settled down in the second half we played the way we wanted to because our guys were getting over the advantage line quite often," Te Pou said.

Warren Smith, Cribb, Rico Gear and Joe Maddock scored the second half tries before fullback Christian Cullen finished the game off in style with a nice over-head chip and catch to score the team's eighth try.

NZ Maori 52 (Justin Wilson, Scott Linklater, Bryce Robins, Warren Smith, Rico Gear, Ron Cribb, Joe Maddock, Christian Cullen tries; Glen Jackson 6 con), Canada All Stars 11. Halftime: 21-5.

I'm going to go to the game Saturday in Toronto. I'm excited by some of the names in the Maori side - I've seen Gear, Cribbs, Cullen and probably some others on TV in S12 and All Black games.

I think the "All Star" team they played in game 2 was all amateur players who haven't played in the UK/France, though some have played for Canada before. The national team who will play in game 3 do have some professionals who play overseas. But still, we don't have the depth of the best rugby nations. Some posters I read on the Rugby Canada site's forum even question whether our #12 world ranking is too high.

Anyway, I will report back after the match Saturday.

JoeD said:
CS, here Are a few paragraphs from an article from The NZ Herald which you might be interested in.

For aspiring sportsmen and women, there was a clear message in Canada's decision to refuse entry to three members of the Maori rugby team. Players with the likes of an assault conviction can forget about competing there. Those thinking of driving home after a night out drinking should think again because they are setting themselves up for the same fate. Even those charged with assault but not convicted cannot play on Canadian soil. The obvious conclusion is that rugby players must keep a scrupulously clean sheet. In its way, it is a worthy message. Certainly it has been a salutary lesson for our team. But it becomes one lacking credibility if it is not applied fairly, justly and consistently.

American ice-hockey teams that regularly cross into Canada to play matches must contain players with convictions for drink-driving or other offences that in Canada could be heard by a jury. It is generally recognised that around a third of New Zealand males have a conviction before they turn 24. The situation in the US must be similar. The difference in Canadian eyes: ice-hockey is a national obsession, while rugby has a low profile.

This selectivity can hardly help the promotion of minor sports. Canadian rugby has been seeking greater exposure, especially on the sevens circuit. The Maori episode effectively rules it out as one of the game's preferred destinations. Teams simply will not want to risk losing key players to misdemeanours that attract no sanction in other rugby-playing countries.

Full article:http://www.nzherald.co.nz/storydisplay.cfm?thesection=news&thesubsection=&storyID=3514440

Here is a page from RugbyCanada's website forum, where Canadian posters agreed it was wrong to bar the Maori players:

http://206.191.48.235/forum/viewtopic.php?t=53

AliN

Live Update Team
steve, see if you can get to meet some of the maori boys,, they are very approachable and after the game with the all stars they hung around for ages,,,

might come in handy

kia ora bro--g,day/greeting
g,day cuz--greeting

signed-ozbash

I went to the game in Toronto today. 30-9 for the Maori. Here is a report from the Rugby Canada website:

http://www.rugbycanada.ca/index.php?lang=en&page_id=10&news_id=134

It was pouring rain leading up to the match, and it rained lightly for the first 15 minutes before clearing up. Real NZ weather. I stood on the sideline and the Maori came right past me as they ran onto the field. Some very big lads, especially Ron Cribb, Carl Heyman, and captain Paul Tito. The backs were a bit smaller than I expected - not tall, but very muscular and fit-looking.

The Maori were very impressive, especially their pace and passing ability when they got out wide. Canada held their own in defense and set pieces, but we aren't as good with the ball - we didn't put phases together, and didn't do well with opportunities to run.

I didn't buy a program until halftime, because it was raining at the start and it would have just gotten wet. But even with the program I had trouble identifying players during the game, except for Cullen and Cribb who I recognized from TV. I realized after that Rico Gear and Troy Flavell had played, and I liked Willie Walker's game. I stayed around after the game, at Ozbash's suggestion, and was able to put player names to faces better using the pictures in the program. The players stayed on the sidelines after the game and signed autographs for kids and others. They were very approachable, as Ozbash said. I spoke to a few and shook hands and said "good game" to them, but didn't have any long conversations with players.

I did talk to an official of the tour, wearing a black Maori blazer. He said the tour had gone well and they were returning home the next day. I asked him if some of the players here had a chance to get into the All Blacks for the WC, and he said it was possible, and that they still had a chance to shine in the NPC comp. I also eavesdropped as a Canadian media guy interviewed the Maori coach. He said he liked the atmosphere where the players could mingle with the crowd after the game. He said in Super 12 teams just leave the field and go to the dressing room and the fans don't see them. He also said something about possibly working with the Tongan team in the WC, but I didn't hear it all.

I'd say the Maori were very good representatives of their country, and I'm sure they have helped the game in Canada. There were 4000 fans at the match, and I saw a lot of young Canadian players there. There were also a girls team with USA Rugby track suits on - I think they played the Canadian girls in a preliminary match. These would have been under 17, I think. There was also a boys game involving an American team. I didn't come early to watch the preliminary games because of the rain.

I almost forgot, I was right on the sideline for the Haka. It was different from the All Blacks haka. The words were in the program along with an explanation of its origin. It seemed longer and better "choreographed" than the AB's - I mean the players were more in unison. It was great to see - the crowd loved it.

Given that Canada is ranked around 12 in the world, I wonder where the Maori would rank if they could play as a national side. Or a NZ A side, which could be a bit stronger I suppose. They'd have to be at least 8th in the world, I would think.

I had a good time, and it was good to see world-class players up close. If anyone wants to know more, please ask.

ozbash

Referee
great stuff steve.. i,m glad you enjoyed your day.

see jonah makes his return this weekend for wellington in the NPC.

Latest posts