What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Maori v Indigenous match - squads

Matua

Bench
So, I didn't even realise the sides had been selected.

Peta Hiku (Warriors); Dane Gagai (Rabbitohs), Esan Marsters (Wests Tigers), Dean Whare (Panthers), Jordan Kahu (Broncos); Kalyn Ponga (Knights), Jahrome Hughes (Storm); Jesse Bromwich (Storm), Brandon Smith (Storm), James Tamou (Panthers), Kevin Proctor (Titans), Tohu Harris (Warriors), Adam Blair (Warriors). Interchange:Danny Levi (Knights), Brad Takairangi (Eels), James Fisher-Harris (Panthers), Gerard Beale (Warriors), Corey Harawira-Naera (Bulldogs), Joseph Tapine (Raiders), Kenny Bromwich (Cowboys)

Can't say I'm that happy with the team. I'd have liked to have seen Ponga at fullback and Benji/Nikorima/Te Marie Martin in the halves. In saying all that I'm unsure of availability of players. DWZ is injured.

Indigenous team:
Bevan French (Eels); Blake Ferguson (Eels), James Roberts (Broncos), Latrell Mitchell (Roosters), Josh Addo-Carr (Storm); Cody Walker (Rabbitohs), Tyrone Roberts (Titans); Andrew Fifita (Sharks), Nathan Peats (Titans), Josh Kerr (Dragons), David Fifita (Broncos), Adam Elliott (Bulldogs), Tyrone Peachey (Titans). Interchange: Will Chambers (Storm), Leilani Latu (Titans), Chris Smith (Bulldogs), Alex Johnston (Rabbitohs), Jesse Ramien (Knights), Tyrell Fuimaono (Panthers), Kotoni Staggs (Broncos)

Mitchell turned down the WCC to captain the Indigenous team.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Kinda cool how Dane Gagai switch allegiances to the Maori team this year so he could honour his Maori mother this time around.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
It’s bollocks. But I guess if nation swapping is allowed for international RL why not this match also.

Why is it bollocks? He is Indigenous on one side and he’s Maori on the other, therefore he part of both cultures and is eligible for both, he doesn’t have to choose between the two. It’s not like national allegiance, he can be both at once though obviously he can’t play for two teams at once so he needs to make a choice each year, however there is nothing “disloyal” about changing sides in different years in his case.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
I wouldn’t expect a pommy Trump fanboy to have the first clue about indigenous culture. Jog along champ, haven’t you got more whining about Elizabeth Warren’s ancestry to do in 4C?

Walter sobchak

First Grade
I wouldn’t expect a pommy Trump fanboy to have the first clue about indigenous culture. Jog along champ, haven’t you got more whining about Elizabeth Warren’s ancestry to do in 4C?
Well at least these guys have true indigenous heritage unlike pinocchiohontas.

Last edited:

Walter sobchak

First Grade
Why is it bollocks? He is Indigenous on one side and he’s Maori on the other, therefore he part of both cultures and is eligible for both, he doesn’t have to choose between the two. It’s not like national allegiance, he can be both at once though obviously he can’t play for two teams at once so he needs to make a choice each year, however there is nothing “disloyal” about changing sides in different years in his case.
Maybe he could play for the maori’s In the 1st half and the indigenous side in the 2nd half.

Walter sobchak

First Grade
Why is it bollocks? It's not a national team, it's essentially a festival match and he's eligible for both teams.

Edit: Spacemonkey beat me to it.
If it helps the kiwi national side steal a few Aussie born Maori’s like ponga then I’ll change my mind.

Matua

Bench
I thought they did? Or is that just for tier2 nations like Tonga?
I assume just tier 2.

Although odd that Taumalolo has been selected for Qld already - I guess since they made the changes to eligibility for Origin he's no longer eligible.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
I assume just tier 2.

Although odd that Taumalolo has been selected for Qld already - I guess since they made the changes to eligibility for Origin he's no longer eligible.

As far as I know he hasn’t, Qld tried but the NRL have knocked it back because he has represented NZ in the past. St least that was the story in yesterday’s paper.

So, I didn't even realise the sides had been selected.

Can't say I'm that happy with the team. I'd have liked to have seen Ponga at fullback and Benji/Nikorima/Te Marie Martin in the halves. In saying all that I'm unsure of availability of players. DWZ is injured.

Indigenous team:

Mitchell turned down the WCC to captain the Indigenous team.

Did you vote?

Latest posts