What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Maria Sharapova

Wizardman

First Grade
After reading through the facts surrounding the Sharapova story yesterday, I have little sympathy for her and feel she deserves some sort of ban.
This drug had been detected in a lot of athletes (1 in 50 tests in all sports according to reports) last year when the drug wasn’t on the banned list. That is quite high for a drug which is only available in Eastern European countries and is meant to be for people with heart issues.
In September last year, it was announced that this... drug would be on the banned list the following year. All doctors and patients would have been informed of this.
Keeping in mind that the manufacturers themselves stated that the drug is a short term medication that is meant to be used over a four to six week cycle for heart problems, her excuses about diabetes being in the family seem very weak. Diabetes and this medication are not linked in any way.
For her to be using this medication for ten years tells me that she has certainly been involved in legal doping as I believe she took that medication for enhanced performance and not for a health reason. Her taking this medication last year was unethical but not illegal.
I believe Sharapova was extremely negligent and didn’t deliberately try to break the rules. But, I do feel she deserves a penalty. Her team should have known better.

drago brelli

Bench
Wizard, you have summed up the situation perfectly. Anything for an edge, even her louder screams during tight points, the 'Serene one' does the same. There's a lot of athletes taking 'stuff'. They just haven't been caught yet. As people have noted, Sharapova never 'screams' during the warm up.

Danish

Referee
Sharapova should have just locked herself in her panic room when the testers came and refused to take the test, then claim later she thought they were intruders ringing her doorbell.

Worked for another tennis player

mackdadday

Juniors
Never liked Sharapova. Her completely unnecessarily loud grunting and screaming is the ultimate in bad sportsmanship.

drago brelli

Bench
She should have claimed a 'heart episode', it worked for the girl friend of the son of a certain legal high flyer in Sydney.