What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mark Harris Claimed by Cancer (edited)

The following is from the Wide World of Sports website -

Former Roosters superstar Mark Harris fighting battle against cancer
By The Mole 2 hours ago

Mark Harris - one of rugby league's genuine superstars of the 1970s - is fighting a brave battle against cancer.

Harris was diagnosed with throat cancer last year and has since developed several other tumours.

The 72-year-old former Roosters great is currently in a Sydney hospital, where he is receiving a steady stream of visits from former team-mates.

"He is not in a great way but he is staying positive and is a fighter," former Easts team-mate Kevin Junee told Wide World of Sports.

"I went to see him yesterday and he is determined to get through it."

Harris played his early football in Papua New Guinea in the late 1960s before, legend has it, he wandered into Easts Leagues Club in 1970 asking for a game.

Within 12 months he was in the Australian team and in 1974, scored the try that won the Roosters the grand final against Canterbury, ending a 29-year premiership drought.

Big, strong and fast, he was the prototype of the modern day centre and at one stage, tried his hand at American football.

He was signed by Philadelphia but traded to Montreal in Canada before he played a game.

He played for the Montreal Alouettes but was used only as a kicker despite his dynamic attacking skills - so returned to his beloved Roosters after one season.

"I begged the coach to let me run the ball," a bemused Harris once told me.

"I said to him, 'I've played for Australia - I can play' … but he just laughed and said, 'I don't care' … so I went back home."

Hopes and prayers to Mark and his family.

That's quite upsetting to read. He was before my time, but is one of my father's favourite players of that 1970's era. No, it does not sound good, but Tommy Raudonikis seems to be fighting on, so let's hope for the very best. Cancer is a terrible thing. My prayers and thoughts go out to the Harris family as well as Mark's extended Easts 'family'.

Headless Chook

Juniors
As a 10 year old kid back in the mid 70’s I remember thinking he looked so old for a footy player. I was in awe of just how fast and big he actually was for a centre, although all players looked liked giants to me back then. One of our greats.

I wish him all the best and hope he gets through it. Cancer is a bastard.

H.H

Juniors
That's quite upsetting to read. He was before my time, but is one of my father's favourite players of that 1970's era. No, it does not sound good, but Tommy Raudonikis seems to be fighting on, so let's hope for the very best. Cancer is a terrible thing. My prayers and thoughts go out to the Harris family as well as Mark's extended Easts 'family'.
Yeah exactly the same here. Told my parents yesterday and they were very sad to hear this. My dad has told me many a story about Mark from the 70's glory days.

A great Rooster and I hope he pulls through and that the club is doing what they can for him.

Probably right to extend the sentiments expressed for Mark to all sufferers.

So I will do so here.

You are not facing anything alone.

Good people are spending their lives and hard earned to help in any way.

I don’t want to say much about my private life on a public site, but I see the success of the research and treatment every day.

And if a boofhead like me can see and appreciate it, mark and sufferers, ffs, you’re a real chance.

Well said TSP. Let's wish him and others that we know of every bit of luck and good fortune that they will get over this horrible scourge on society.

I only just read about it. Very sad to hear. 72 years is still young, and cancer is no way to go.

Following is the report from the Wide World of Sports website -

Rugby league legend Mark Harris passes away

By The Mole
13 hours ago

Mark Harris - one of rugby league's superstar players of the 1970s - died today after a long battle with cancer.

Wide World of Sports revealed earlier this week that Harris was diagnosed with throat cancer last year and the disease then spread to several of his organs.

Harris was 72.

"He fought a brave battle with a lot of dignity," former Easts team-mate Kevin Junee told Wide World of Sports.

"He didn't want any fuss or fanfare made about him and died quietly at 5pm surrounded by family."

Harris was discovered by the Roosters playing in Papua New Guinea in 1970 and within 12 months he was in the Australian Test team.

In 1974, he scored the try that won the Roosters the grand final against Canterbury, ending a 29-year premiership drought.

Big, strong and fast, he was the prototype of the modern day centre and at one stage, tried his hand at American football.

He was signed by Philadelphia but traded to Montreal in Canada before he played a game.

He played for the Montreal Alouettes but was used only as a kicker despite his dynamic attacking skills - so returned to his beloved Roosters after one season.

The gentle giant will be missed. Vale Mark Harris. My condolences to his family and friends :(

horrie hastings

First Grade
Mate that's shocking news. :(

Condolences to his family and Easts fans from the 70s.

I remember one year , think it might have been in the early 2000s when the Roosters had a parade of past footballers at the SFS, I remember tearing up when I saw Mark Harris as I hadn't seen anything of him before that for a very long time. Have so many fond memories of him and his time at the Roosters.

Latest posts