What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Marquee Signings

Bring back choc

Juniors
Not sure about that, but one thing's for sure - we will never know.....

Ok then.. Have an educated guess!!!
I mean FFS people. When will this forum stop the hand holding bias BS!
I love the club as much as anyone but if people think you don't need marquee strike players to win a comp they are dillusional. If you ask 10 of leagues best minds I would put decent coin that they would all say that if we didn't have Boyd at the back in 2010 we would not have won the comp. he was brilliant. Setting up try after try he will the pivotal player in our attack.

It's the same reason most experts said we couldnt win in 2011 without smith and costigan. And guess what.. We didn't win.

We went wit local talent for 30 years and it got us sweet FA. Finally the penny drops and we win a comp by bringing in quality recruits. Now people want to go back to giving the poor juniors all the opportunities and signing cheap hacks. Give me a break. Let's see where that gets us.

Another 30 years to think about things perhaps???

I would welcome the signing of cooper cronk. He's a gun. He can win you a comp.

gypsy

Bench
The Stewart brothers and Tariq Sims are examples of poor juniors.
You really have no idea.

hardbaby

Coach
I see the merits in both arguments. Developing your juniors is always the best way to go. It's certainly the cheapest. However, there are a few positions where I think you need the best that money can buy. Fullback, five eight, half, hooker. If you haven't developed them, but them. And we are one player short. Simple as that...

Godz Illa

Coach
It's futile to argue with Bbc guys. Every point he attempts is so over-simplified and off the mark, and despite the fact they've been rebutted elsewhere a thousand times he keeps on trying them. The only sane response is this:

jackie-chan-wtf.png

Fingerbang

Bench
I say Bring Back Greenburg is a better name for him.....or he really was born a Bulldogs fan in a Dragons fans body.

The Nick

Bench
I just want to know who all these so called "experts" are that BBC keeps referencing to back up his lame arguments???

Cronk will be THE MOST sought after player on the market this year, meaning whoever signs him will definitely have to pay more than he's worth to get him.

From memory we didn't have to go into any massive bidding wars to get Boyd, Smith or Costigan. It's not our club's go.

Reason being we are the envy of the league with our quality local products, and we reward them accordingly.

If BBC wants us to change track and sell off the farm to get one so called marquee, (so we can see what happens), well sorry, it just ain't gonna happen at Saints.

If these guys don't want to play for the Red V at a fair price, then let 'em go elsewhere, I say.

It's what makes this club great.

j0nesy

Bench
I hope we never change, I love watching the blokes that I grew up with carving it up. Its all about a balanced squad and value for money. We have NEVER been a buying club, we dont need to be, and Boyd was NOT a marquee signing at the time. Brisbane didnt want him.

Would we have won the GF without Hornby, Young, Nightingale?