What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Marshall re-signs

innsaneink

Referee
Benji sticks with Tigers
By Dean Ritchie
August 27, 2004

JUST 19, Benji Marshall spoke beyond his years yesterday by declaring that loyalty pushed him into signing a new deal with the Wests Tigers.

Marshall's contract was upgraded for 2005 and extended until the end of 2006 - a significant announcement for the joint venture club ahead of Sunday's critical game against North Queensland.

Despite being out with a shoulder injury, Marshall, 19, remains a prodigious talent certain to be at the highest level in football for a decade.

"I didn't want to make a decision while I was injured and depressed but I just came to the conclusion I was happy at the Wests Tigers," Marshall said.

"They have done a lot for me. The club brought me down from school [on the Gold Coast] and have looked after me.

"I wanted to show a bit of loyalty back to them."

Marshall was excited at his club's future.

"The club is on the rise," Marshall said.

"A lot of our players like Scott Prince and Brett Hodgson are contracted until the end of 2006 like me.

"I think the club is going places provided we can all stick together.

"I enjoy playing next to Scott Prince. He has taught me a lot and I want to play five-eighth next to him.

"And [coach] Tim Sheens has also been great. He has kept my feet on the ground.

"Every time I speak to Tim I feel as though I am learning something about rugby league."

Sheens said his club was relieved to have secured Marshall's future.

"Extending Benji's contract gives us the opportunity to further develop his talent," Sheens said.

"It will also enable us to work with him to ensure he reaches his potential."

Tigers chief executive Steve Noyce said the club was committed to youth.

"Securing young talent is a priority for the club if we wish to remain competitive in the future," Noyce said.

"Benji is exciting. Wests Tigers players and fans - everyone at the club - is excited about his future.

"I know the other players enjoy playing alongside Benji."

A big crowd is expected at Campbelltown Stadium for Sunday's match against the Cowboys.

A loss would severely dent both clubs' top-eight aspirations.

"It will be tough but I was just in our team meeting and the boys are really switched on," Marshall said.

http://foxsports.news.com.au/story/0,8659,...0-23214,00.html

Gus22

Juniors
Great to hear that he made his decision based on loyalty & mateship, because if it ever comes down to bucks, we will never be able to match it with the Rorters & others in the NRL, let alone the ESL.

As Benji is quoted as saying the club is going places - as long as they keep the team together. Extending Benji's contract is the first step in the reight direction - hopefully others will follow.

bonstonker

Juniors
his loyalty will really be tested for the 2007 season.
i think the warriors will make a huge play for him and probably offer him the combined salary of wiki and price when they finish their stint at the end of 2006 .
provided benji stays injury free .

innsaneink

Referee
bonstonker said:
his loyalty will really be tested for the 2007 season.
i think the warriors will make a huge play for him and probably offer him the combined salary of wiki and price when they finish their stint at the end of 2006 .
provided benji stays injury free .

We'll be top 4 regulars then. [-(