What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Marty Taupau's contract sent to wrong agent

Charlie124

First Grade
Sorry, can someone edit the thread title, it was meant to say "contract details" and it was some journalist, not another agent.

Vic Mackey

Referee
this is one of the funniest things ive ever heard

ive love to know who sent the email, guessing its taupaus manager. how professional

Meaning?

Surely you aren't thinking the Tigers know nothing about it and would not allow the release?

I don't know, do you? Wouldn't be the first time. If he is acting without the Tigers knowledge he should be sat out. Anyway, it was a throwaway sarcastic comment on my part.

In any case, I don't begrudge him chasing the money. I've left jobs for more cash a couple of times. I don't get why fans can't grasp why that shouldn't extend to professional athletes who have 10-15 years to maximise their earnings. The Tigers, or Manly for that matter, won't look after him when he's had his day and he is living off his earnings, just like the rest of us.

Card Shark

Immortal
Besides the obvious f**k up with this, what on earth happens at the Wests Tigers that they generally have crap players & have to still release their better players to get under the salary cap.

They will have a few more years of pain it seems, pretty sad for their supporters.

JJ

Immortal
I don't know, do you? Wouldn't be the first time. If he is acting without the Tigers knowledge he should be sat out. Anyway, it was a throwaway sarcastic comment on my part.

In any case, I don't begrudge him chasing the money. I've left jobs for more cash a couple of times. I don't get why fans can't grasp why that shouldn't extend to professional athletes who have 10-15 years to maximise their earnings. The Tigers, or Manly for that matter, won't look after him when he's had his day and he is living off his earnings, just like the rest of us.

Stories suggest the Tigers signed release is part of the package emailed accidentally to the journalist http://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=11537499

All hilarious really...

That aside - tremendous signing for Manly, and WTF are the Tigers doing??

Charlie124

First Grade
In positive news, the Tigers 2016 roster looks to be going from strength to strength..... Oh wait, the other thing.

Besides the obvious f**k up with this, what on earth happens at the Wests Tigers that they generally have crap players & have to still release their better players to get under the salary cap.

They will have a few more years of pain it seems, pretty sad for their supporters.

The front office is slowly getting their shit in order. The place used to leak like a sieve and that's starting to change. It sounds like they're getting the cap in order to make a tilt at the market in 2017.

Next year will be more of the same but I'm cautiously optimistic that 2017 may see our fortunes finally change.

Stories suggest the Tigers signed release is part of the package emailed accidentally to the journalist http://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=11537499

All hilarious really...

That aside - tremendous signing for Manly, and WTF are the Tigers doing??

Ah OK, must have skimmed over that part.

Even as a Tigers fan I think it's pretty hilarious. This game is never short of an amateur hour, be it administration, players or player management.

JJ

Immortal
Ah OK, must have skimmed over that part.

Even as a Tigers fan I think it's pretty hilarious. This game is never short of an amateur hour, be it administration, players or player management.

Must be disappointing to lose him though? He's still young, and a beast capable, I think, of playing bigger minutes and still having a big impact

Vic Mackey

Referee
The front office is slowly getting their shit in order. The place used to leak like a sieve and that's starting to change. It sounds like they're getting the cap in order to make a tilt at the market in 2017.

Next year will be more of the same but I'm cautiously optimistic that 2017 may see our fortunes finally change.

the thing is we arent releasing quality players for the fun of it.

the tigers at the moment are a shambles that we can thank sheens, humphreys and mayer for. they signed players on massive back ended contracts and kids for what they thought they would be worth in 3-4 years. guys like brooks, moses, sironen, nofoaluma, sue etc are on state of origin player money before theyd played more than 20 games in first grade.

we're in for some pain at the moment but the club has shown they are righting the wrongs of the previous admin. as said by 2017 this should all be cleared up and we will enter the player market with a heap of room in the salary cap.

Vic Mackey

Referee
Must be disappointing to lose him though? He's still young, and a beast capable, I think, of playing bigger minutes and still having a big impact

i dont think so. if you go to the games youll notice that when marty comes off after 20 mins he is generally hunched over on the sideline looking like he is going to hurl for 5 minutes. he is purely an impact player. a damn good one at that but i dont think he will ever be an effective 60 minute forward.

Absolutely. He will be a loss. That being said, if the club are not prepared to pay the money thrown around in the media I am OK with that though, as that is how we ended up in our salary cap mess to start off with and he is not a big minute player. I'm not going to flip on him like most Tigers fans will, he's looking after himself which is what he has to do, because no one else will do it for him.

JJ

Immortal
Was Tapau on big $$ though for next year - thought he was signed prior to establishing himself in the way he is now? I'd be gutted losing a 25 y/o gun forward to a four year contract

Last edited: