What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mary contract extension talks start

to_ddeath

Coach
It's fact.

Missed the 4 on for and against.
Missed minor premiership by a single game.

Please

Get flogged by a bottom 4 team at home on the back of a flogging by last placed team, not long after an inept display against another team outside the 8, in the same season as being defeated twice by a team who we dominated regularly for close to a decade in regular season matches.

Perlease.

Life's Good

Coach
Our club has blinkers on, I’m afraid.
The belting of Brisbane & narrow loss to Souths has somehow masked years of poor performance. All that is happening now is we are squandering the cap to make up for a underperforming coach. Widdop goes next year, we’ll splash out for a couple of ‘name’ players but the root cause of our lack of success remains.
FMD, only at the Dragons.

gitano

Juniors
Get flogged by a bottom 4 team at home on the back of a flogging by last placed team, not long after an inept display against another team outside the 8, in the same season as being defeated twice by a team who we dominated regularly for close to a decade in regular season matches.

Perlease.
We won a lot too.
You can pick and choose stats to suit any arguement. Mary isn't the issue, however desperate you are for that to be the case.

gitano

Juniors
Are you stuck in a yearly mid season loop?
Since 2015, what's the win/loss of our last 12 games? Who presides over that each year?

Not the issue then.....I see.
Irrelevant. Widdop stays fit we probably win it.

gitano

Juniors
I’m not saying we couldn’t have won it, but to say we “probably” win with Widdop is a massive statement!
P.S. Mary is shit!
Saying Mary is shit after guiding a side to two points from the top, and hammering the Broncs in an elimination final is a massive statement. Also a rubbish one.

Last edited:

getsmarty

Immortal
its not a rash descion.. they can see what marys done over the last 5 years.. best news iv herd this year.. he puts his heart and sole into this club the same as many of the supporters do.. most you people blame mary before the players . wich is ridiculas btw.. but you guys will eventually see the light

Someone should put their Sole up somebodies backside...

gitano

Juniors
Not irrelevant as our yearly like clockwork poor finish affected the ladder position which forced us into elimination phase.
We score one more time in the first half with loads of possession, Souths don't win.
Your 'probably' is all you have, & isn't enough to justify an extension. Nowhere near.
Rugby League is all about probables.
Unless you're a journo or forum expert.

The Souffs game was frantic. We were down Sims, Widdop, Vaughn and finished the Bronco's game with 1 available on the bench.
Not to mention if Ah Mau holds the ball or if Mann passes it to 3 unmarked etc.
So many pieces you're neglecting by just blaming Mary.
Still, it's a convenient argument to suit your agenda so fair enough.
I however, like many educated league fans, tend to look a fair bit deeper than that.

Life's Good

Coach

The Souffs game was frantic. We were down Sims, Widdop, Vaughn and finished the Bronco's game with 1 available on the bench.
I however, like many educated league fans, tend to look a fair bit deeper than that.

Stop wasting your time posting about Mary when your real agenda is to have Aitken made captain....

Of Saints, NSW & Australia.

to_ddeath

Coach

You left out Leiluas defending when Souths scored last, if you're going to look at other variables.
Fact is you cannot constantly excuse Mary from not dealing with the situation occurring at hand adequately...did he instruct Hunt to attempt that awful field goal kick with too much time left?
Was there an instruction when Hunt passed to a decoy?
Was there an actual plan at all in place?
Did he look like he planned anything when we whacked Brisbane? Or was he chuckling in the box due to pure dumb luck?
I thought you were an educated fan...why the defensiveness?

hewi

Bench
Personally I think the only point that matters is the late season fade outs. How it could be an option to extend his contract until the last few rounds before all and sundry can see if he is capable of fixing this problem is beyond me. This is not a minor problem we are talking about.

Carlton

Juniors
I could be wrong but I am sure that the current chairman is the only member returning. The rest of that side of the Board are WIN appointees and not Illawarra Club delegates. Now it's time to clean out the St George side of the Board and once that is done, the old boy's club may be finished for good.[/Q
UOTE]

Possm WIN has been there in the background the whole time all thats happened is they are now centre stage. The WIN buyout does nothing.

FlameThrower

Bench
Don’t panic just yet - season has not even started so I really doubt anything more than informal talks may have taken place.
For me a minimum pass mark is a Top4 finish, no late season fades and blooding of the young guns throughout the season.

Rob Dragon

Juniors
When people know and understand they are out of their depth their natural tendencies and instincts are directed towards survival. McGregor will always coach conservatively because that is all he knows how to do. He will only promote youth as a last resort because it might not fit his survival agenda.

McGregor is probably paid around the $400K mark I would have thought? Not bad for some-one unqualified and unsuccessful in a very high profile position. If I was McGregor I would not be walking the plank either; you would have to push me and pay me on the way out. McGregor is not stupid enough to understand that this is his first and last 1st grade coaching gig. After us, he disappears into the ether never to be seen again.

The problem with McGregor rests 100% with the Board. Simple as that. We were all hopeful after the WIN buy-out of new dawn of professional accountability. And what have we got? The same old routine. We will need to bottom out completely for the Board to dump McGregor and I think (unfortunately) this is the year where it falls apart. I have said before that with the JDB "situation" ; our captain wanting out; speculation swirling about Dufty and the yet to be seen success of integrating a wild child (Norman) will see us crash and burn.

Unless we finish well down the ladder (and I am predicting 12th - 16th), McGregor and his supporting cast of clowns will stay put. In the words of Paul Keating in the 1990's..."this is the season we need to have".

Latest posts