What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mary Replacement Emerges

TruSaint

Referee
So in the absence of signing a quality NRL coach in the next month we should declare our hand early give the job to JD and get on with it.

I can live with JD as coach on a performance based contract. Not 3 years as we gave Price and Mary. With your last sentence, i agree 100%.

Demetrious coaching record isn't "not bad".

It's outstanding.

Sign him for 2017 only. If that doesn't work out, we can look for an experienced coach for 2018.

We can't keep taking heavy risks with rookie coaches who might work out. An established coach is risk enough and we need to rebuild right now.

Straight Shooter

Old Timer

Coach
I can live with JD as coach on a performance based contract. Not 3 years as we gave Price and Mary. With your last sentence, i agree 100%.
Yes True you are correct short term contract with really good incentives based on achievable but demanding KPI's.
If he succeeds we then reconsider the option and if he is rewarded for his achievement I am sure he would want to stay on.
My fear is we dick around on the presumption we are going to hook a big fish, catch nothing, JD takes up a better option and we get you know who.
Perfect cover for the incompetents that gave us Mary to retain him.

St Georgio

Juniors
My tip boys and gals cleary to be Coaching the Dragons in 2017, bring it on, f**k to rookie coaches, JD might be OK BUT..nuff is a nuff!

TruSaint

Referee
Yes True you are correct short term contract with really good incentives based on achievable but demanding KPI's.
If he succeeds we then reconsider the option and if he is rewarded for his achievement I am sure he would want to stay on.
My fear is we dick around on the presumption we are going to hook a big fish, catch nothing, JD takes up a better option and we get you know who.

agree.. my fear as well.

Old Timer

Coach
For all the Brian Smithites below is his record in the last 10 years
Games / Wins / Draws / Losses / Winning Percentage
2007–09 Newcastle Knights 48 21 0 27 44
2010–12 Sydney Roosters 76 35 1 40 46
2015–16 Wakefield Trinity Wildcats 15 4 0 11 27
Hardly what I would call outstanding.
However if you put him in an admin roll only with a view to clean out the dead wood and work with the coach on retention and junior pathway then he would be an asset.
62 year old coaches will not cut it in todays game IMO.

St Georgio

Juniors
For all the Brian Smithites below is his record in the last 10 years
Games / Wins / Draws / Losses / Winning Percentage
2007–09 Newcastle Knights 48 21 0 27 44
2010–12 Sydney Roosters 76 35 1 40 46
2015–16 Wakefield Trinity Wildcats 15 4 0 11 27
Hardly what I would call outstanding.
However if you put him in an admin roll only with a view to clean out the dead wood and work with the coach on retention and junior pathway then he would be an asset.
62 year old coaches will not cut it in todays game IMO.
I can assure you, BSmith would be 100x better than Paul McGregor, I really hate any Red V player or Coach to go bad, I really wanted Mary to succeed. Ricky Stuart is looking great now at the Raiders, Newcastle is a true basket case even Bennett our hero could not save them, Roosters Made the GF with Brian Smith, f**k OT you have some deep seeded issues!
Ivan or Smith will do me fine as coaches for St George!

Last edited:

TomRedVRiver

Bench
It's Cleary, It has to be Cleary. He's the only one worth talking about and he's the one we need. Don't wait for this "season review" bullshit in November, make it happen now before he goes elsewhere.
Just sign the damn contract Ivan, give us all some hope.

thestevo888

Juniors
It's Cleary, It has to be Cleary. He's the only one worth talking about and he's the one we need. Don't wait for this "season review" bullshit in November, make it happen now before he goes elsewhere.
Just sign the damn contract Ivan, give us all some hope.
Triple K reporting he's in discussions with us now, job's his if he wants it...

Old Timer

Coach
I can assure you, BSmith would be 100x better than Paul McGregor, I really hate any Red V player or Coach to go bad, I really wanted Mary to succeed. Ricky Stuart is looking great now at the Raiders, Newcastle is a true basket case even Bennett our hero could not save them, Roosters Made the GF with Brian Smith, f**k OT you have some deep seeded issues!
The question is not whether he is better than Mc Gregor because that is a given the real question is
"Is he the right guy or the guy you take because you didn't get the right guy"?
We have had all sorts of depth signings of players and I think a 62 year old coach with an ordinary record over the last 10 years is a similar thing.
Great administrator and as I said would be a great asset in that role but his recent track record is not good enough for a coach in the NRL IMO.
You are correct the Roosters made the GF and we flogged them and then his winning record there finished at 46%.
If you think that is the type of guy we need then I can't agree with you.
JD for 1 year as previously proposed would be more beneficial IMO as he already has a heads up and good relationship with most of the squad.
If it was Cleary coming then I would push JD out of the road myself.

St Georgio

Juniors
Hmmm Old Bennett is going OK Back at the Broncos, Smithy at the Dragons would do the same, Cleary for me !
1. Ivan Cleary
2. Brian or Tony Smith
3. JD!

BestHookerRein

Juniors
JD on an incentive base contract. It will get renewed if we only concede tries off kicks, barge over tries, and if our season completion rate is over 75%

Old Timer

Coach
Hmmm Old Bennett is going OK Back at the Broncos, Smithy at the Dragons would do the same, Cleary for me !
1. Ivan Cleary
2. Brian or Tony Smith
3. JD!
Interesting you say Smithy at the Dragons would be as good as Bennet at the Bronco's and in the next sentence say "Cleary for me"
A little hard to follow your logic there.
As I said Cleary for me too but my scenario is all about if you don't get him.
Re your comment on Old Bennett well the facts are he went shit at the Knights and had to go back to where the good cattle were grazing and he could get even more good players by fudging the cap with TPA's.
Bennett has proven with an ordinary roster he is also ordinary.
I have posted Smiths recent achievements and stand by my assessment.
If you said we could have Bennett back tomorrow I would also say that him at our club with our roster would also be a wrong choice.

Brian Smith and Tony Smith never going to happen.

Tony has already declinded offers to come back to Australia and Brian seriously no thanks.

St Georgio

Juniors
Very simple as 1 + 1, Ivan Cleary will be our coach, Smith would always do well at the Dragons whether is B or T, JD is really a another role of the dice!

dragonssamy61

First Grade

Great idea
But only if no cleary

“If you brush over things that went wrong this year and act like they didn’t happen the club will be in the same position next year but I think at the end of the season when the dust settles a lot of people will get their opportunity to speak and there’ll be a lot of improvement next year.”

A lot of people indeed...Players and support staff will get to have their uncensored say .. And will not be spoken down to by the imposter again.

Sometimes when things are falling apart .. They may actually be falling into place...

There WILL be improvement next year in at least one area.

Ding dong the witch is dead.

p.s Could there also be a little clue re Leilua from BC.

Ihttp://www.illawarramercury.com.au/story/4143325/dragons-don-mad-monday-garb/?cs=2382

Latest posts