What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Match 3: Aust v Eng t20 tri-series at MCG Feb 10, 2018

TheParraboy

Staff member
Just want to add this will be the last cricket international fixture we seen on free to air for some time

the remaining t20 games in NZ will be on foxtel, as will the 4 tests v SA in March, and the 5 ODI v poms in the UK in June

blaza88z

Coach
It is strange that mid tournament Channel 9 won't be able to broadcast the remainder of the tournament, I can't remember that ever happening before

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
Withoit a qualified quality queller at 8 England will struggle.

I'm going out early on 2 predictions.

1. Smith will step down from T20s permanently.

2. We'll win the 2020 world cup.

ANTiLAG

First Grade
It is strange that mid tournament Channel 9 won't be able to broadcast the remainder of the tournament, I can't remember that ever happening before

Yeah, but do you recall Australia ever split hosting with another country a tri-series before?

This t20 tri series wasn't in the Future Tours Programme when Ch9 bought the rights to international games played in Australia and doesn't qualify as "major international event" like the Ashes or World Cup does to fall foul of the Government restrictions.

http://images.supersport.com/content/FTP-2015-to-2019-as-at-Nov-2014.pdf

What was anticipated was 5 ODI's and 1 T20 in NZ. But as NZ decided to swap a 3rd test in 2015/16 for a ODI series, that would have meant NZ had hosted Australia for an ODI series 3 years running (not including the World Cup).

So NZC, presumably being its meek self, suggested this T20 tri series, which means NZC gets less host broacasting against an in-demand opposition. And now faces a probability of holding a final in a big near empty rugby stadium for a match played between England and Australia which may unfortunately jeopardise any further tri-series endeavours. Still perhaps 2 additional t20 games in NZ will outrate in India a t20 vs Australia and 5 odi's, plus a t20 vs England; and NZC are playing this smart. But even if t20 rate higher, why not simply have Australia play 6 t20s in NZ and England still play 1?

I am unaware on any subsequent financial arrangements, but at first blush this tri series looks like a total bonus chance to profit for Ch 9 (and CA), even if they only get 3/7 of the series to broadcast. NZC appears to have given a lot; as a 5 odi versus Australia in NZ, the Chappell Hadlee games don't appear to struggle to get ratings globally when broadcast nor sell tickets locally; all for 2 more t20 games, 1 of which NZ is no certainty to play in. Given NZ has no winter away tours this year, I again question what is going on at NZC head quarters.

Last edited:

TheParraboy

Staff member
I would imagine once the World cup (50 over edition) is over in 2019, there will be a host of t20 internationals pop up, well more than the norm anyway, leading up to the 2020 WC

Noticed there is no t20 tri series next summer, but we have 11 ODI and only 4 t20s (7 tests in total).
Prior this we have 6 ODI's 3 each v Bangers (top end) and Zimbots (away) - 4 tests in total

http://www.theroar.com.au/cricket/australia/fixtures/

JJ

Immortal
Poms for me this time

Straya have been good but NZ beat themselves to a degree and when th Show goes off like that you can't lose T20

Don't care for this format but will be interesting series for sure

TheParraboy

Staff member
Game on

fire up

who is pumped????

Feels like eels playing bulldogs

on a side note, fox sports were advertising 2 league games tonight, 2 of the best nrl sides against 2 pommie sides tonight

Now correct me if im wrong but souths and Dragqueens are not 2 of the best nrl sides, they didn't even make the 8 last year !!!!!! blow me over with a feather

screw that, ill be watching the big show in action :sunglasses:

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
Australia win the toss and elect to field. Morgan out for the poms.

Looking forward to the great Alex Hales batting for the last time on Australian soil.

What a fine plodder he has been