What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Match Discussion: Finals Week 1 vs Parramatta @ Browne Park

Who will win? Finals Week 1: Parramatta v Newcastle

• Parramatta Eels 13+

Votes: 4 44.4%
  • Parramatta Eels 1-12

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Draw after Golden Point

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Newcastle Knights 1-12

Votes: 4 44.4%
  • Newcastle Knights 13+

Votes: 1 11.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

League Unlimited News

Administrator
Staff member

NRL 2021 - Finals Week 1
Parramatta Eels v Newcastle Knights
Browne Park, Rockhampton (TICKETS)
Sunday 12 September 2021

NRL kickoff 4:05pm

PARRAMATTA-2021.png

1. Clinton Gutherson 2. Haze Dunster 3. Viliami Penisini 4. Waqa Blake 5. Blake Ferguson 6. Dylan Brown 7. Mitchell Moses 8. Reagan Campbell-Gillard 9. Ray Stone 10. Junior Paulo 11. Shaun Lane 12. Marata Niukore 13. Nathan Brown
Interchange: 14. Will Smith 15. Bryce Cartwright 16. Isaiah Papali'i 17. Makahesi Makatoa 18. Ryan Matterson 19. Oregon Kaufusi 20. Tom Opacic 21. Jakob Arthur

NEWCASTLE-2021.png

1. Kalyn Ponga 2. Enari Tuala 3. Kurt Mann 4. Bradman Best 5. Hymel Hunt 6. Jake Clifford 7. Mitchell Pearce 8. Jacob Saifiti 9. Jayden Brailey 10. Daniel Saifiti 11. Tyson Frizell 12. Mitchell Barnett 13. Connor Watson
Interchange: 14. Sauaso Sue 15. David Klemmer 16. Josh King 17. Brodie Jones 18. Phoenix Crossland 19. Jirah Momoisea 20. Simi Sasagi 21. Jack Johns

BvW7aru.png

Referees: Ashley Klein
Sideline Officials: Phil Henderson, Jon Stone
Video Referees: Grant Atkins​

Last edited:

mozza91

Coach
Look at us being finals regulars. Hopefully all our forwards are good to go and can do a job on theirs.
Ponga has to step up here. Needs to make better decisions and put his body on the line in defence.

We’ve been good at winning the tough games of late. There’s no reason we can’t do it here.

David Klemmer will have a light training week but there is a high expectation he will play in Sunday's sudden-death final against the Eels despite battling a painful rib injury.

And to further boost the Knights hopes of upsetting Parramatta at Rockhampton, coach Adam O'Brien expects both Origin prop Daniel Saifiti and veteran forward Jesse Sue to prove their fitness and take their place in the 17-man squad.

Zoidberg

First Grade
I don’t know if I can handle this anymore. I’m getting butterflies just thinking about the game now.
I think I’d be an emotional wreck if we ever win a GF again.

Yosh

Coach
I don’t know if I can handle this anymore. I’m getting butterflies just thinking about the game now.
I think I’d be an emotional wreck if we ever win a GF again.

Lucky for you, it's probably a couple of year off at best...

Old dog

Juniors
First thing to do to increase our win chance is make Pearce Captain, second thing is delegate penalty line finder kicks to Clifford, third thing is get Ponga to concentrate on organising his defence and making himself available to attack, fourth, fifth and sixth comes after this win

Mr_Knightside

Juniors
Ponga steps up we win. He is the legitimate X factor in this competition now that Latrell is out. If he wants to be taken seriously he has to aim up. This is his big moment.
Agreed. Ponga needs to get his hands on the ball just about every set and more than once per set in good ball situations.

Burwood

Bench
For me, it’s his defense that is the biggest worry. It’s concerning how many times a try is scored and Ponga is a few steps out of the picture, or throwing his arms out hoping for an intercept or knockdown.

And I know Boyd popularised the tactic years ago, but is there any benefit to Ponga defending in the line all the time? Isn’t it the fullbacks job to organise the defense and make sure the numbers are right? All the opposition do in our 20m is run at him, which tires him out and removes him from properly defending the next play.

As it stands, we’re paying a million dollars for a player who is lucky to even be in the top 5 for his position.

Frederick

Staff member
It's amazing that, giving his incredible form and stats over 15 games, we are the only team to have made him look like a mortal.
One off game in an otherwise brilliant season is excusable

I'm still waiting for us to have an on game

Knight Tales

Juniors
Hahahahaha no

This is Tom Turbos league
That's an obvious conclusion. The fact we are yet to play well, as you have said yourself, is where I am approaching this from. If KP decides he is running the show on field then anything can happen. If he doesn't we are going to be hung out to dry. A maverick approach from KP is long overdue. Conservative won't mean anything by fulltime. We can't win that way. We all know that.