What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Match Discussion: Finals Week 1 vs Parramatta @ Browne Park

Who will win? Finals Week 1: Parramatta v Newcastle

• Parramatta Eels 13+

Votes: 4 44.4%
  • Parramatta Eels 1-12

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Draw after Golden Point

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Newcastle Knights 1-12

Votes: 4 44.4%
  • Newcastle Knights 13+

Votes: 1 11.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Old dog

Juniors
Have to agree with above comments, too late to change the system of play just go out and play strong up middle with occasional wider plays with Ponga, Clifford and Pearce chiming in.
We may be a bit restricted in middle with Klemmer and JSaf carrying a injury or not playing but we have no choice but to stick with what we have and how we play.
Next season hopefully we expand our game due to a more injury free team and a bit of extra zip from Gagai.

Still Nutty

Juniors
This corresponding game last season against the Bunnies, we were up 10-0 after 12 minutes and only down 14-20 at half time...but we ended up getting rolled 46-20.

This is the sort of Game Dan, Ponga, Pearce, etc. need to bring a State of Origin siege mentality to this team in defence. Parra average just over 22.5 points a game this season in attack...our biggest job is to reduce that by 6-8 points.

In defence they average letting in just over 18 points a game...if we do the job in defence and score the average points they let in a game in attack, we should finish in front (sounds easy, right 🙂 )

To achieve this and have any chance of winning we need to focus on:

* coming out strong and out enthusing them for at least the first 20 minutes
* having consistent line speed for most of the 80 minutes
* keeping our errors to a season low, and
* maintaining a completion rate upwards of 90%.

If we are disciplined, play out the full 80 minutes and believe we deserve to be there we have a chance.

Tom155

Coach
Always hope however small & unlikely

Think of all the teams above us we have the best chance of an upset against Parra

Our biggest issue is our missed tackles and errors out on both edges

Mann and Best have been the biggest culprits and need to tighten things up or Parra are going to score 1000 trys on us

Burwood

Bench
I'm hoping that Mann's and Best's terrible defence last round can be (partly) explained by the fact that they had two new backrowers inside of them, and maybe they weren't as trusting in them as they needed to be. Fingers crossed Barnett and Frizell can help out a bit more this week.

Old dog

Juniors
I’d have considered Randall at 14 with Watson starting but now won’t happen so back to Sue 13, assuming all fit and Watson to 14.
Seems most on here prefer Watson at 14 but not always the coach, Saf’s starting, King and Klem on bench with Sue at 13 with Watson on later and Jones other bench covers everything.
Based on latest form my worries are Ponga, Mann, Best and Pearce but all are capable of stepping up

Knight Tales

Juniors
I think our best bet is to be as rested up as possible. Reduce the time the players have to focus on the game itself. Light training and trust the process I guarantee our players overthink their game.
it would be grand if Obi said just go out there and play what you see. Hold the middle and go for it. I’ll take a loss on the back of attempts to push the issue in attack, and asking big questions of their defence they never saw coming.

Tom155

Coach

1. Kalyn Ponga
2. Enari Tuala
3. Kurt Mann
4. Bradman Best
5. Hymel Hunt
6. Jake Clifford
7. Mitchell Pearce
8. Jacob Saifiti
9. Jayden Brailey (c)
10. Daniel Saifiti
11. Tyson Frizell
12. Mitch Barnett
13. Connor Watson

Interchange:
14. Sauaso Sue
15. David Klemmer
16. Josh King
17. Brodie Jones

Extended Bench:
18. Phoenix Crossland
19. Jirah Momoisea
20. Simi Sasagi
21. Jack Johns

Yosh

Coach
Feels weird having a full strength side for an important game. We not missing anyone at all right?

Jono078

Referee
Feels weird having a full strength side for an important game. We not missing anyone at all right?
I was also going to say, not many have the luxury of naming their best 17 for week 1 of the finals.

Really you’d only say Edrick Lee is missing from that and MAYBE Fitz as a bench option.

Old dog

Juniors
No Saulo in ext squad so Obi confident that DanS, Klem and Sue ok to go, still don’t understand Sue, Watson selection but it may change game day

Zoidberg

First Grade
I’ve actually not noticed, has Brailey always been captain when he has played or did it go to Ponga for a while even with Brails in the team?

Jono078

Referee
I’ve actually not noticed, has Brailey always been captain when he has played or did it go to Ponga for a while even with Brails in the team?
Good pick-up. AOB said Ponga would have the (C) next to his name since he was named captain.

Don't think I'd look too far into it but perhaps he's trying to alleviate a bit of pressure from Ponga?