What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Match Discussion: Round 1 vs Canterbury @ McDonald Jones Stadium

Who will win? Round 1: Newcastle v Canterbury

• Draw after Golden Point

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

League Unlimited News

Administrator
Staff member

NRL 2021 - Round 1
Newcastle Knights v Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs
McDonald Jones Stadium, New Lambton (TICKETS)
Friday 12 March 2021

NSW Cup 3:45pm -- NRL kickoff 6pm

NEWCASTLE-2021.png

1. Tex Hoy 2. Starford To'a 3. Enari Tuala 4. Bradman Best 5. Gehamat Shibasaki 6. Kurt Mann 7. Mitchell Pearce 8. David Klemmer 9. Jayden Brailey 10. Daniel Saifiti 11. Tyson Frizell 12. Mitchell Barnett 13. Connor Watson
Interchange: 14. Sauaso Sue 15. Jacob Saifiti 16. Josh King 17. Brodie Jones 18. Hymel Hunt 19. Pasami Saulo 20. Jack Johns 21. Simi Sasagi

CANTERBURY-2021.png

1. Corey Allan 2. Nick Meaney 3. Will Hopoate 4. Nick Cotric 5. Dallin Watene-Zelezniak 6. Jake Averillo 7. Kyle Flanagan 8. Ofahiki Ogden 9. Sione Katoa 10. Jack Hetherington 11. Adam Elliott 12. Corey Waddell 13. Josh Jackson
Interchange: 14. Bradley Deitz 15. Renouf Atoni 16. Raymond Faitala-Mariner 17. Dylan Napa 19. Tuipulotu Katoa 20. Chris Smith 21. Brandon Wakeham 22. Ava Seumanufagai

fevf2bE.jpg

Referees: Ben Cummins
Sideline Officials: Ziggy Przeklasa-Adamski, Kasey Badger
Video Referees: Alan Shortall

Knights and Bulldogs (Mounties) NSW Cup feeders play at the same venue, 3:45pm Friday.​

Last edited by a moderator:

Knight76

Juniors
This game is going to be tougher than it should be. We struggle against the dogs, i cant see us starting in form this year, going to have to build up to play well, and no ponga, no green, and Pearce.

Yosh

Coach
Random but Bellemy started his Storm career with 3 back to back first round knock outs at the finals. I think I'll be okay with our team finishing 5-8th this year again. Am I the only one?

If we turn up like we have against the Dogs in any game of the last few seasons we'll be annihilated. They've flogged this side a number of times trotting out barely reserve grade line-ups but will field a stronger team this year. Real danger game and a test of character.

Jono078

Referee
Let's gooooo! Cannot wait for this.

Cautiously optimistic - basically the motto about the Knights with each start of a new season.

Knights 26-16.

Burwood

Bench
I don't think we'll see a very high scoring game- Bulldogs lack firepower, and we will be clunky at best until our full-strength spine gets some time together. Think we'll have them covered defensively though and I can't see them putting more than 12 points on us.

Jono078

Referee
I don't think we'll see a very high scoring game- Bulldogs lack firepower, and we will be clunky at best until our full-strength spine gets some time together. Think we'll have them covered defensively though and I can't see them putting more than 12 points on us.
To say they wont score points due to lack of fire power is also saying our defense will not leak easy points ;)

#cautiouslyoptimistic

Old dog

Juniors
Have a few questions on what appears to be agreed best side round 1.
Seems that left wing will be Toa but doesn’t he play right mostly, if Best is left centre is Tuala right centre even though better on left.
Maybe, 1 Hoy, 2 Tuala, 3 Best, 4 Hunt, 5 Toa.
Don’t think we can play Mann and Watson in top 13, need one on bench giving us better cover for injuries etc

Burwood

Bench
Have a few questions on what appears to be agreed best side round 1.
Seems that left wing will be Toa but doesn’t he play right mostly, if Best is left centre is Tuala right centre even though better on left.
Maybe, 1 Hoy, 2 Tuala, 3 Best, 4 Hunt, 5 Toa.
Don’t think we can play Mann and Watson in top 13, need one on bench giving us better cover for injuries etc

If Mann and Watson are in the top 13, they are our injury cover. Two backrowers and two props on the bench will have us covered.

We'll account for the Bulldogs. Last year we lost 2 hookers playing them so I don't consider that loss very meaningful.

Rd 1 at home, big crowd, strong squad.

Knight76

Juniors
We'll account for the Bulldogs. Last year we lost 2 hookers playing them so I don't consider that loss very meaningful.

Rd 1 at home, big crowd, strong squad.

Whats the rules on crowd this season? Full capacity or social distancing still?

Edit> I think I recall the club shop ladies when I was in there talking about having to be a distance away from others, so probs still reduced capacity yeah?

Frederick

Staff member
Whats the rules on crowd this season? Full capacity or social distancing still?

Edit> I think I recall the club shop ladies when I was in there talking about having to be a distance away from others, so probs still reduced capacity yeah?
I think it's capped at 75%

Silent Knight

First Grade
I hope we have a huge crowd there that will absolutely give it to the Dogs. If the Dogs walk into a genuinely hostile environment that will help us secure the win.

Of course the atmosphere has changed a lot since the late 90s and early 00s when I used to sit on those wooden benches behind the goalposts and literally everyone was giving the visiting team an absolute bath. There were also the reports that the visitors change room was a hellhole with wet floors.

PhilGould

Bench
1. Tex Hoy
2. Starford To'a
3. Enari Tuala
4. Bradman Best
5. Gehamat Shibasaki
6. Kurt Mann
7. Mitchell Pearce
8. David Klemmer
9. Jayden Brailey (C)
10. Daniel Saifiti (C)
11. Tyson Frizell
12. Mitch Barnett
13. Connor Watson

14. Sauaso Sue
15. Jacob Saifiti
16. Josh King
17. Brodie Jones

18. Hymel Hunt
19. Pasami Saulo
20. Jack Johns
21. Simi Sagagi

Shibasaki over Hymel the only big surprise

Why no Hunt? Mann at 6 despite proving time and again that he can't distribute the ball? Watson and Mann in the starting line-up together?

Smh...