What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Match Discussion: Round 1 vs Parramatta @ McDonald Jones Stadium

Who will win? Round 1: Newcastle v Parramatta

• Newcastle Knights 13+

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Newcastle Knights 1-12

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • Draw after Golden Point

• Parramatta Eels 1-12

• Parramatta Eels 13+

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

League Unlimited News

Administrator
Staff member

NRLW 2021 - Round 1
Newcastle Knights v Parramatta Eels
McDonald Jones Stadium, New Lambton
Sunday 27 February 2022

NEW2022TEAM.png

1. Romy Teitzel 2. Katelyn Vaha'akolo 3. Jayme Fressard 4. Bobbi Law 5. Katie Green 6. Autumn-Rain Stephens-Daly 7. Tahlulah Tillett 8. Caitlan Johnston 9. Krystal Rota 10. Annetta Nuuausala 11. Rangimarie Edwards-Bruce 12. Georgia Page 13. Charntay Poko
Interchange: 14. Emma Manzelmann 15. Charlotte Scanlan 16. Phoebe Desmond 17. Kirra Dibb 18. Maitua Feterika 19. Kyra Simon 20. Ngatokotoru Arakua 21. Chantelle Graham 22. Kararaina Wira-Kohu

PAR2022TEAM.png

1. Botille Vette-Welsh 2. Taina Naividi 3. Tiana Penitani 4. Jocephy Daniels 5. Rikeya Horne 6. Sereana Naitokatoka 7. Maddie Studdon 8. Kennedy Cherrington 9. Nita Maynard 10. Tommaya Kelly-Sines 11. Ellie Johnston 12. Jade Etherden 13. Simaima Taufa
Interchange: 14. Seli Mailangi 15. Filomina Hanisi 16. Therese Aiton 17. Abbi Church 18. Christine Pauli 19. Fatafehi Hanisi 20. Tess Staines 21. Emily Curtain 22. Mareva Swann

REF-YELLOW-1000px_1.jpg

Referee: Kasey Badger
Sideline Officials: To be advised
Video Referee: To be advised​

Yosh

Coach
Sorry for random question but how are we rated in the comp? From what I've read, we got a pretty solid roster right? We expected to go far?

Still Nutty

Juniors
Sorry for random question but how are we rated in the comp? From what I've read, we got a pretty solid roster right? We expected to go far?
I think we have an excellent side for our inaugural NRLW season with a high number of representative players from Australia and New Zealand in the squad. We also had 9 players competing in the recent Indigenous vs. Maori All Stars game the other week.

In addition we have a really strong Tarsha Gale Cup side with some great up and comers including Jesse Southwell, who was the first player signed by the Knights, even though she isn't 18 yet or eligible to play NRLW. (bit of footage from the recent Tarsha Gale below, in which she scored 2 and set one up just before 1/2 time with skills that Joey would be proud of (Knights game starts at 1 minute 48 seconds.)

So, yes we are definitely strongly in the mix for this inaugural season and I am looking forward to going to the ground with my daughter on Sunday to support them and watch team play;)👍

Yosh

Coach
I think we have an excellent side for our inaugural NRLW season with a high number of representative players from Australia and New Zealand in the squad. We also had 9 players competing in the recent Indigenous vs. Maori All Stars game the other week.

In addition we have a really strong Tarsha Gale Cup side with some great up and comers including Jesse Southwell, who was the first player signed by the Knights, even though she isn't 18 yet or eligible to play NRLW. (bit of footage from the recent Tarsha Gale below, in which she scored 2 and set one up just before 1/2 time with skills that Joey would be proud of (Knights game starts at 1 minute 48 seconds.)

So, yes we are definitely strongly in the mix for this inaugural season and I am looking forward to going to the ground with my daughter on Sunday to support them and watch team play;)👍
Thank you for that wonderful reply.

Yosh

Coach
Question: If a player's hair touches a line, is that considered out in the WNRL?

Silent Knight

First Grade
Looks like the Eels women’s team carries on like pork chops almost as much as the Eels men’s team. Celebrating an obvious rake and then it turns into a Knights feed 😆

A very arrogant club that hasn’t achieved much since 1986.

Still Nutty

Juniors
Haven't really had time to comment on this but I did enjoy the game and the atmosphere at the ground. A few observations and comments:

* Not on this thread but from others I've seen....For those bagging the quality/standard of the footy being played - this is the FIRST ROUND of the INNAUGURAL NRLW competition for the Knights...these players aren't coming from a base of being professional players, having not had the long term development path in skills, attack and defensive structures, coaching, etc. that young men get from the age of 10 or so - the standard and growth will evolve BECAUSE this competition is being established...This year's AFLW competition is a vastly different competition in terms of quality, speed and entertainment from the inaugural season in 2017 and will continue to improve next year, when ALL 18 ALF clubs have a team competing for the title next year. The NRLW will achieve consistent improvement year on year but year 1 isn't going to be instant fireworks, slick plays and high quality competition across the board...it is the start of the journey

* Loved the contribution of Phoebe Desmond in the game - local girl who hits and runs like a runaway freight train 👏👏👏

* I was a bit disappointed with the skipper Romy Teitzel on the day....she tried to lead the side but ended up overplaying her hand and committed the cardinal sin of dying with the ball from first receiver 4 or 5 times on the last tackle, many times in good attacking positions...she will learn from this, no doubt

* Caitlan Johnson had a really solid game on the field and Kirra Dibb definitely added spark to the side when she was on the paddock

* match fitness will come but we need to build consistent line speed as the season goes on to compete with the top sides....our intensity fell away at various stages of the game but Parra were relentless with their defensive pressure and line speed and set a standard we need to aspire to and achieve over the year

* in truth, Parra were a much better drilled side but what I liked about the Knights was the effort and commitment - skills, reading the game, executing plays will come with time but they hung tough on several occasions to make the game a grandstand finish and were well in a position to win the game through sheer grit and a never say die attitude

Great first ever performance by the NRLW Knights team and looking forward to their progress and development over this inaugural season...well done team!

Last edited:

Still Nutty

Juniors
Question: If a player's hair touches a line, is that considered out in the WNRL?
Would assume the same question could be asked re NRL players like Okunbor from the Doggies in the NRL...my take would be that the hair doesn't technically constitute part of the body and wouldn't count if it crossed the touch line.