What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Match Discussion: Round 1 vs Sydney @ Sydney Cricket Ground

Who will win? Round 1: Sydney v Newcastle

• Sydney Roosters 13+

Votes: 6 75.0%
  • Sydney Roosters 1-12

Votes: 1 12.5%
  • Draw after Golden Point

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Newcastle Knights 1-12

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Newcastle Knights 13+

Votes: 1 12.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

League Unlimited News

Administrator
Staff member

NRL 2022 - Round 1
Sydney Roosters v Newcastle Knights
Sydney Cricket Ground, Moore Park (TICKETS)
Saturday 12 March 2022

NRLW kickoff 12:50pm -- NRL kickoff 3:00pm

SYD2022TEAM.png

To be announced

NEW2022TEAM.png

To be announced

A-REF-Y-2022TEAM.png

Referee: Gerard Sutton
Sideline Officials: Jon Stone, Phil Henderson
Video Referee: Alan Shortall

- Lower Grades: NSW Cup & Jersey Flegg U21 -
Newcastle v Syd Roosters / Norths at Cessnock, Sunday
Flegg 12:30pm / Cup 2pm​

Last edited:

PhilGould

Bench
Better playing them week 1 than later when they're really in form, I guess. Maybe. That's what I'll tell myself at least.

mozza91

Coach
Tough game. Top class opponent at a crowd where the away team rarely wins.
I can’t see us winning by anymore than 40.

Us by 40

Sir Galahad

Juniors
Roosters clinic. closer for some part than the 18-4 score line would suggest but the Rorters will never get our of second gear.

Knight Tales

Juniors
This and Penrith in the first month. Away games. If we can push them both for the 80 that is good enough for me. It is our response to being kept in our half that will be the point of difference this season. The backs being willing to get amongst it from dummy half with runs that aren’t cross field target practice for middle forwards.

Jono078

Referee
Few key returning players for the Roosters who may be underdone, at least that’s what I can hope for!

for now I’m saying Roosters 26-16.

Volcom6685

Juniors
This and Penrith in the first month. Away games. If we can push them both for the 80 that is good enough for me. It is our response to being kept in our half that will be the point of difference this season. The backs being willing to get amongst it from dummy half with runs that aren’t cross field target practice for middle forwards.
The Rule change for penalties will help us massively

Jono078

Referee
Dan Saifiti is out.

Fitz and Mann starting over Barnett..

Best good to go - hopefully.

1. Kalyn Ponga (C)
2. Dom Young
3. Dane Gagai
4. Bradman Best
5. Enari Tuala
6. Jake Clifford
7. Adam Clune
8. David Klemmer
9. Chris Randall
10. Jacob Saifiti
11. Tyson Frizell
12. Lachlan Fitzgibbon
13. Kurt Mann

Interchange:
14. Phoenix Crossland
15. Mitchell Barnett
16. Leo Thompson
17. Jirah Momoisea

Extended Bench:
18. Tex Hoy
19. Pasami Saulo
20. Simi Sasagi
21. Brayden Musgrove
22. Mathew Croker
23. Dylan Lucas

Bit earlier this year.. Looks like D. Saf isn't playing 😞

TEAM LIST

1. Kalyn Ponga (C)
2. Dom Young
3. Dane Gagai
4. Bradman Best
5. Enari Tuala
6. Jake Clifford
7. Adam Clune
8. David Klemmer
9. Chris Randall
10. Jacob Saifiti
11. Tyson Frizell
12. Lachlan Fitzgibbon
13. Kurt Mann

Interchange:

14. Phoenix Crossland
15. Mitchell Barnett
16. Leo Thompson
17. Jirah Momoisea

Extended Bench:

18. Tex Hoy
19. Pasami Saulo
20. Simi Sasagi
21. Brayden Musgrove
22. Mathew Croker
23. Dylan Lucas
24. Jaron Purcell

PhilGould

Bench
Daniel Saifiti is a notable omission with the forward suffering a small fracture in his left tibia.

The Knights medical staff have been nursing the State of Origin forward since he sustained the injury in the first trial against the Bulldogs.

Saifiti will be monitored and depending on his response to treatment, will hope to be available within the first four weeks of the competition.

perverse

Referee
I really hate to be negative before a ball is kicked in anger... but that is a shit looking team. Like, any outsider looking at that list could be forgiven for thinking that's a list competing for the spoon. Half of the spine is reserve graders, centres go OK but the wingers are either unproven or just ordinary/offer nothing particularly exciting. Back row with Fitzgibbon and Mann... Barnett the only recognised NRL player on the bench...

Our coaching staff better have done quite a number in the off season, is all I can say. So many rookies, unknowns and squad-fillers in there. A lot needs to go right. Looking at that list, I can't help but feel that a LOT of recruitment went poorly in the past 12 months.

Jono078

Referee
I really hate to be negative before a ball is kicked in anger... but that is a shit looking team. Like, any outsider looking at that list could be forgiven for thinking that's a list competing for the spoon. Half of the spine is reserve graders, centres go OK but the wingers are either unproven or just ordinary/offer nothing particularly exciting. Back row with Fitzgibbon and Mann... Barnett the only recognised NRL player on the bench...

Our coaching staff better have done quite a number in the off season, is all I can say. So many rookies, unknowns and squad-fillers in there. A lot needs to go right. Looking at that list, I can't help but feel that a LOT of recruitment went poorly in the past 12 months.
Took the words out of my mouth. When you look at it on paper it doesn't look good. But unknown quantities doesn't mean bad either. I'm excited for Leo Thompson even if he's not a name, yet.

Old dog

Juniors
Bit concerned with middle fwds on bench unless the plan is to use Barnett. Extended bench looks weak filled with not so goods and inexperienced