What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Match Discussion: Round 1 vs Sydney @ Sydney Cricket Ground

Who will win? Round 1: Sydney v Newcastle

• Sydney Roosters 13+

Votes: 6 75.0%
  • Sydney Roosters 1-12

Votes: 1 12.5%
  • Draw after Golden Point

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Newcastle Knights 1-12

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Newcastle Knights 13+

Votes: 1 12.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Jono078

Referee
Just watching the game again today. Some thoughts.
I want to respond to some of these points Yosh;

- We looked a little 'scared' at the start of the game. We are so used to losing to the Roosters, I think we lacked a little belief early in the game but by the end of the game we were clearly must more confident.
I actually thought our mindset was great from the get go - like we looked like we were prepared to have a crack and were confident in ourselves from beginning to end.

- We clearly looked the fitter team. Looked stronger than the Roosters as well.
Is this where Knowles has already rubbed off on a us? We were relentless for the 80 (yeah last 5 was maybe a bit iffy) and it's been a long time since we've seen a complete performance like that.

- I'm still not sold on Fitzy but Mann might just have his best ever season for us. Compared to Watson, his physicality in defense means we don't give away too much by having a smaller man in the middle.
I remember there was quite the debate last year about re-signing Mann over Watson and there were only a few of us who said it may not be the worst decision. Obviously it's still super early days but Mann might just prove more valuable to us than Watson ever did.

- Clifford looks so much more comfortable being the main half and playing no the right. I think Pearce was always hindered but a lack of composure. That leaked onto the whole team but now Pearce is gone, we look more composed all across the park in both attack and defense.
Yep I think our kicking was one of our biggest weaknesses in round 1 and I think there'll easily be improvement there. That's the only area where I feel we lacked composure.

In saying all that. May even re-watch the game myself this week! Was too good not too!

- Gagai's defense is so much better than I remember it being.
He just looks like he's arrived at his peak. Knows his skills and abilities and is confident in them now. Might be the best season we've had from a centre in a long time.

Yosh

Coach
Probably overkill but one more point.

There was a set that started with Mann's hit on JWH to force the turn over.

We get down field and off a quick play the ball by Barney - > Randall out to the right pass to Clifford - > who sweeps back to the left - > pass to Clune, who straightens - > short ball back on the inside to Ponga, Ponga makes a half break - > offload to Mann who was supporting - > Mann immediately spreads the ball wide to the left - > Fitzy catch and pass - > Best simmy and step and breaks a Rooster player's sternum - > Godley flick pass to Tuala - > Tuala untouched try.

I have never seen such slick play from the Knights. It wasn't a piece of genius from one player but every player doing their part and adding to the team. Also, the best teams take advantage of opposition mistakes and we did exactly that.

When was the last time every spine player got a touch on ball in one play? Should be the try of the round.

Zoidberg

First Grade
Having strike centres on both sides is such a big plus. Not only have we not had that in ages but I’d say not very many teams at all have had that for a long time.

Sir Galahad

Juniors
Just watching the game again today. Some thoughts.

- We looked a little 'scared' at the start of the game. We are so used to losing to the Roosters, I think we lacked a little belief early in the game but by the end of the game we were clearly must more confident.
- The Tedesco no try was definitely a no try. Why is the media always on our back? We weren't lucky, that's just the rules.
- If we have 10+ successful offloads a game, we're going to make the top 6 this year. We are so much more threatening throwing the ball around.
- We clearly looked the fitter team. Looked stronger than the Roosters as well.
- Randall's service looks worse on second viewing. Brailey will add a new dimension when he gets back.
- I think Connor is still a Knight's fan. He had a terrible game.
- I'm still not sold on Fitzy but Mann might just have his best ever season for us. Compared to Watson, his physicality in defense means we don't give away too much by having a smaller man in the middle.
- Clifford looks so much more comfortable being the main half and playing no the right. I think Pearce was always hindered but a lack of composure. That leaked onto the whole team but now Pearce is gone, we look more composed all across the park in both attack and defense.
- Kicking game needs work. Had some good kicks but more than half our kicks were duds.
- The game could have swung in the Rooster's favor when JWH came on but Barney neutralized that threat. Barney off the bench might be a strategy we should stick with.
- Gagai's defense is so much better than I remember it being.

A bunch more I wanna say but looks like I've said too much already...
The media wankfest over the Rorters is nauseating. The no try would'nt have rated a mention if it was us.

Watson had 1 good season with us, the rest of his previous contract he hardly played. All up he was a poor investment.

Barny was a beast off the bench, it would be great if he was on the bench because it's the only place in the team we can find for him - when that happens we are headed towards the promised land.

Jono078

Referee
Holy shit.. Does anyone watch 100% Footy?

Gallen said he didn't see much of our game BUT Kalyn was our best player and involved in absolutely everything.

I hope he isn't a bloody Dally M judge either!

P.S. I'm still pissed off the ref didn't call a knock-on against Keary on our opening kick-off! We got dudded hard there.

I watched a bit of the replay of the match and agree Barney was actually really good off the bench. I think Frizell went really unnoticed by a lot here but he did plenty of quality things without making the linebreaks.

Sir Galahad

Juniors
P.S. I'm still pissed off the ref didn't call a knock-on against Keary on our opening kick-off! We got dudded hard there.
I remember thinking if that was us it would have been called a knock on.

I watched a bit of the replay of the match and agree Barney was actually really good off the bench.
Beast

I think Frizell went really unnoticed by a lot here but he did plenty of quality things without making the linebreaks.
1 of our best almost every game. Runs with venom.

Silent Knight

First Grade
Holy shit.. Does anyone watch 100% Footy?

Gallen said he didn't see much of our game BUT Kalyn was our best player and involved in absolutely everything.

I hope he isn't a bloody Dally M judge either!

I watched a bit of the replay of the match and agree Barney was actually really good off the bench. I think Frizell went really unnoticed by a lot here but he did plenty of quality things without making the linebreaks.

I don't watch that sh*t and Gallen has always had sh*t for brains. I thought we'd be free of the f*cker after he retired but no we need to plaster his ugly mug all over the TV every week.

Why anyone would want to listen to the opinion of two of the biggest blowhards in the game is beyond me.