Match Discussion: Round 10 vs Panthers @ McDonald Jones Stadium

Discussion in 'Newcastle Knights' started by LeagueUnlimited News, May 6, 2018.

?

Who will win? Round 10: Knights v Panthers

Poll closed May 11, 2018.
  1. Newcastle Knights 13+

22.2%
  2. Newcastle Knights 1-12

55.6%
  3. Draw after Golden Point

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Penrith Panthers 1-12

11.1%
  5. Penrith Panthers 13+

11.1%
  1. Noname36

Noname36 First Grade

I agree - although I thought the refereeing was horrendous it certainly wasn’t the reason we lost.

We need to learn to make smarter choices to overcome any poor referring. That poor pass with the line break was hardly new for us - we have a couple each game. Whenever we make a break we always end up losing the ball because we’re not patient enough to take the tackle when the pass isn’t on. It’s things like that which remind us that we’re still a very young and developing side and I hope it improves.

OldPanther likes this.
  2. OldPanther

OldPanther First Grade

I think you'll be right. Will make the 8 if you get Pearce back early enough. Ponga is playing as your 1,6,7 and not doing to badly. Just need that controlling half.

3. Choppy182

Choppy182 Juniors

I think in this game our ruck speed was far too slow, we just get wrestled too easily. I don't know about King. The few games he played last year he was a liability, and his return game certainly didn't fill me with confidence. If he's the young blood coming through our prop talent is very thin, hence the recent recruitment boom toward all off contract forwards at the moment.

In saying that, I think Penrith got a LOT of leniancy in regards to being "onside". We had no time with the ball as a result of that. I'm super happy with our ability to look dangerous when we have good field position, Ponga is just so dynamic! Defiantly need some bigger forwards, we have backline that would have a field day with more time.

4. Mr_Knightside

Mr_Knightside Juniors

As has been pointed out already our engine room is losing us games at the moment. We just aren't controlling the tempo of the game and teams like Penrith, Souths, Dragons, Storm and Roosters have all just rolled through the middle against us without really looking troubled. We've won some games on the back of brilliance from Ponga/Pearce but it's just not enough against teams full of rep quality forwards.

I get that people are frustrated with Dan and Jacob, I am too. But they've had just about the roughest transition into first grade that you could expect a young forward to have, they were basically expected to carry the pack for the last couple of years and even this year our front row stocks are still bare. Most front rowers their age would still be in reserve grade fighting for a call up.

At this stage our only NRL standard prop is Herman. The Saifitis need time in reserves to develop and fight their way back into the team, Lillyman is looking past it and King is still unproven at this level, I'm not even sure who else is pushing from below that tbh.

Ideally if we get Glasby, Wallace and Ah Mau (or maybe Boyd if we can't get one of the others) which is a solid possibility then I would like to see see the Saifitis spend 2019 in reserve grade and build up some confidence with some seasoned (and in form) front rowers ahead of them. Give them no choice but to fight their way into first grade.

Unfortunately there's not a lot we can do until then because they're currently part of our best prop rotation.

5. PhilGould

PhilGould Juniors

The poor form of the Saifiti's, Daniel in particular, is being massively over exaggerated IMO.

Glendale and NoSchitSherlock like this.
  6. Glendale

Glendale Juniors

Yep. At the end of the day, him and Herman are our only two forwards who are averaging 100m.

Old dog likes this.
  7. perverse

perverse Referee

Quantity of work is one thing, but Dan needs to work on his quality and consistency. His play the ball takes an eternity and his aggression comes and goes (being generous). More than anything I'd say the frustrating bit is that he's still the same player that he's been since he hit grade. I think it's reasonable to expect him to have improved by now, especially given the toolset at his disposal.

I really think the Saifitis need to be trimmer. They don't look NRL fit. Looking at other props in their size department, they could definitely afford to loose 5 or 10kg and put it back on as muscle.

8. Yosh

Yosh First Grade

They have super skinny legs by the looks of it... Maybe more leg work and we'll see an increase in their output?

9. perverse

perverse Referee

Wouldn't hurt. They have the frames to be far more intimidating than they are. They just strike me as the kind of blokes who have got this far largely just coasting. If they had the mentality of a Jamie Buhrer, a Herman Ese'ese or a Luke Yates, they would unstoppable.

Unfortunately Brown is still in a position where he kinda has to keep picking at least one of them every week. I think Brown has signaled with his selections this year that he's as unhappy with them as anyone, but still has limited options. If Dan was playing to anything near his potential, he wouldn't be gifting a starting spot to Josh King at the moment, that's for sure.

10. Burwood

Burwood Bench

https://www.theherald.com.au/story/...-the-dirt-on-his-own-form-this-season/?cs=306

It's good to see Saifiti making the right sounds- he just needs to work on a couple of key areas and hopefully he'll surpass his 2017 form before too long.

Dave_, Pedge1971, Yosh and 1 other person like this.
  11. Spot On

Spot On Coach

Dan has come out and said the opposite PG. Said he and Brown had a sit down and talked about why his development is well behind where it should be.

He knows he's been pretty poor this year so far.

12. perverse

perverse Referee

Well there you go, sometimes I am actually on the money. lol. Good to know Brown is on him about it.

13. Still Nutty

Still Nutty Juniors

Ok - that gives me some belief that there is still a capacity for him to lift his ceiling...but talking the talk is one thing, we need him to start walking the talk.

I won't expect a major turn around in 1 week but if he can show progressive improvement on what he has been dishing up, I'll be happy to see him given opportunities to continue in first grade.

Again ,it seems Brownie is doing all the right things with trying to get the best out of the squad - the fact that he chooses to do it largely behind closed doors and not make it a public spectacle illustrates why he is also really respected by the playing group for his man management, etc.

14. Pedge1971

Pedge1971 First Grade

Yep. Also good to know the kid knows he can do better.