What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Match Discussion: Round 10 vs Wests Tigers @ Suncorp Stadium

Who will win? Round 10: Wests Tigers v Newcastle

• Wests Tigers 13+

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Draw after Golden Point

• Newcastle Knights 13+

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Jono078

Referee
'Fingers crossed Kayln and Greeny' for next week according to AOB.
This shocked me, I thought Green broke a rib? Him returning from a broken rib will have him more gun shy than returning from the ACL imo, we could see some ugly kicks and tackle attempts.

perverse

Referee
Now going through our leaders -
- Brailey - good player, hasn't had time in his career or at the club to establish that aura.
- D Saf - often goes missing, rarely inspirational.
- Ponga - is anyone really worried about letting KP down? He'll probably shout you a strawberry milkshake on Monday anyway. Very laid back, doesn't care too much about footy outside of a profession (my impression anyway).
- Barney - plays hard, but is limited in a lot of ways. Does some dumb shit, can get his defence a bit mucked up at times.
- Pearce - party boy, always has been. Can see that he does give a shit about the result - and that it does upset him when we're not doing well. One of the only blokes in our squad that you can rely on to fire up more often than not. Unfortunately his hard skills let him down - especially at this end of his career. His material contributions amount to a pretty ordinary running half that can move the ball around and generally organises our shape better than anyone else at the club - but doesn't do anything at an exceptional level - and does a lot of things pretty poorly.
- Green - flat out past it. Miles past it. Probably resents the fact that he chose to even run around another year. Journeyman.

And that's it. The rest are clueless or kids.

There were 2 sets of 6 at the start of the second half where Klem took 4 big runs and I thought oh here we go, someone is stepping up. Then nothing. Friz tries hard but he just got here.

macavity

Referee
Sterlo called 4 sin bins this weekend and we've had 4 this first game.

Watson, Braiely, To'a and Frizell and a few others were really good. However, we sucked real bad out there tonight. I'm going to make a compilation of every touch Mann had tonight. I've never made anything like this before but I think I need to. That performance from Mann was by far the worst I've seen in a Knights jersey.

Greg Smith. But that’s saying something.

and Tex Hoy is poor man’s Shannon McDonnell.

Loose Cannon

Bench
Sterlo called 4 sin bins this weekend and we've had 4 this first game.

Watson, Braiely, To'a and Frizell and a few others were really good. However, we sucked real bad out there tonight. I'm going to make a compilation of every touch Mann had tonight. I've never made anything like this before but I think I need to. That performance from Mann was by far the worst I've seen in a Knights jersey.

Mann went ultra Carige tonight.

Jono078

Referee
- Brailey - good player, hasn't had time in his career or at the club to establish that aura.
- Ponga - is anyone really worried about letting KP down? He'll probably shout you a strawberry milkshake on Monday anyway. Very laid back, doesn't care too much about footy outside of a profession (my impression anyway).
- Barney - plays hard, but is limited in a lot of ways. Does some dumb shit, can get his defence a bit mucked up at times.
- Pearce - party boy, always has been. Can see that he does give a shit about the result - and that it does upset him when we're not doing well. One of the only blokes in our squad that you can rely on to fire up more often than not. Unfortunately his hard skills let him down - especially at this end of his career. His material contributions amount to a pretty ordinary running half that can move the ball around and generally organises our shape better than anyone else at the club - but doesn't do anything at an exceptional level - and does a lot of things pretty poorly.
- Green - flat out past it. Miles past it. Probably resents the fact that he chose to even run around another year. Journeyman.

There were times tonight I thought Klemmer and Frizell tried to lead the way. Fitzgibbon whether you like him or not seems to have the talking ability of a captain but I don't feel he leads with his actions.

perverse

Referee
There were times tonight I thought Klemmer and Frizell tried to lead the way. Fitzgibbon whether you like him or not seems to have the talking ability of a captain but I don't feel he leads with his actions.
Yeah I actually just made an edit to the post to mention Klem and Friz. Not enough from them in general - but there were some moments where they tried tonight. Fitz, to me, is still just a bleh player overall.

slotmachine

First Grade
There are 18 year olds that would have no memory of the Knights other than being completely mediocre.

I ask Newcastle kids who their favourite player is and its just as likely to be Cleary or a Souths player as anyone from the knights.

An entire generation is being driven away from the knights.

Seage

Juniors

There were 2 sets of 6 at the start of the second half where Klem took 4 big runs and I thought oh here we go, someone is stepping up. Then nothing. Friz tries hard but he just got here.
Can't fault any of that assessment.
Our recruitment also hasnt paid dividends. We were about buying blokes from 'good' systems a few years back, but that yielded us everyone from Rory Kostjasyn, Jesse Ramien and Tim Glasby - all fails. Aiden Guerra was well past it.
Now we get Tuala and Shibasaki. Shit players from shit systems and then a run of the mill young half in Jake Clifford (who admittedly went alright last week). Then blue chip recruits like Ponga, Pearce, Klem and Friz get sucked into our vortex of turgidness.
Not sure what my point is here, just really annoyed at how garbage this club is.

Seage

Juniors
There are 18 year olds that would have no memory of the Knights other than being completely mediocre.

I ask Newcastle kids who their favourite player is and its just as likely to be Cleary or a Souths player as anyone from the knights.

Im always surprised when I see a person under 25 in Knights gear at the game. I don't know what would have caused them to bother supporting.

Sugar FNC

Juniors
Just saw AOB's remarks.
He is right about changing ingrained negativity amongst other problems.
AOB, just get it done.
We as fiercely dedicated Knights fans not only want this but demand it.
I bleed Knights blood, why don't they?
Johnsy, Bedsy, Sarg. Get into them.

perverse

Referee

It's not just 18 year olds - there's men in their 20's that can't.

You want to know what's sad? I think I posted a similar sentiment here nearly a decade ago. They're not being driven away - they're gone now. We're 1 or 2 generations deep into that at this point. We've got a fullback who put Johnathon Thurston as the halfback in his best team of all time recently. Was a sobering read when I read it. I get why, he played with him and whatnot... but it's a mind blowing thought that the Newcastle Knights fullback would put Johnathon Thurston ahead of the GOAT in his best team of all time.

Then it hit me. He never saw him play - and didn't give a shit about football or was far too young to remember when he was still on the field. Then I felt old and went to yell at some kids to get off my lawn.

Seage

Juniors
Just saw AOB's remarks.
AOB, just get it done.
Things like Instagram are more important to young players these days.

Loose Cannon

Bench
Just saw AOB's remarks.
AOB, just get it done.

You will do just fine here with us. Welcome aboard.

Seage

Juniors
Clint Zammit better start earning his money cos he has done SFA since he arrived.
We've got in a recruitment Alex McKinnon - a bloke with no pedigree in recruiting but now 'watches' a lot of footy - and Clint Zammit, a bloke who presided over a declining and bottom 4 roster the last few years at the Cowboys. What could he possibly have put on show to indicate he was at the top of his craft. Doesn't fill you with much hope.

Allstar Knights

Juniors
We possibly need a new coach too, but it hurts knowing how much of an overhaul our roster actually needs again.

We have the most overrated forward pack in the NRL which continue to be dominated by poor teams

Allstar Knights

Juniors
We've got in a recruitment Alex McKinnon - a bloke with no pedigree in recruiting but now 'watches' a lot of footy - and Clint Zammit, a bloke who presided over a declining and bottom 4 roster the last few years at the Cowboys. What could he possibly have put on show to indicate he was at the top of his craft. Doesn't fill you with much hope.
Zammit is a good scout for talent to be fair. He found guys like Ponga, Taumololo, Brandon Smith, Kikau and Segeyaro, etc, for the cows. They didn't do a good job keeping many of their stars though

Knight Tales

Juniors
Mooney was excellent for us. Kept going and going till he landed a big fish. He is getting stick over the Reynolds saga at Sharks but I bet he lands them a quality half.

Burwood

Bench
O'Brien claims that they were "manhandled", but I must have been watching a different game? For some of their opening tries, Tigers players waltzed through gaping holes left right in the middle of the field by the likes of Mann and Klemmer- they didn't smash their way through a tired defence.

And this is going to cop a lot of flack, but I'm not sold on Brailey- it might be a different story after he starts playing with a full-strength spine, but I'm not seeing him do anything each week that nearly every other hooker in the comp isn't already doing.

Latest posts