What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Match Discussion: Round 15 vs Warriors @ McDonald Jones Stadium

Who will win? Round 15: Newcastle v Warriors

• Newcastle Knights 13+

Votes: 2 66.7%
  • Newcastle Knights 1-12

Votes: 1 33.3%
  • Draw after Golden Point

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Warriors 1-12

• Warriors 13+

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Knight Tales

Juniors
Can see us putting on a score TBH. I have faith the boys are going to come out fired up. They know it is now or never. Spine is max stength now. Really
Looking to see how KP and Clifford combine cos their combo at TC level was lethal. I get it is much higher standard but give it time and it will click.

Jono078

Referee
I just hope KP is all good, he could be a bit tentative with the groin in the back of his mind.

Jono078

Referee
My physio was going off about how groin injuries like KPs are on the conditioning team.
Interesting. I don't know how much is bad luck vs bad recovery/conditioning etc but it feels like we've never been at the forefront in conditioning.

Yosh

Coach
Just on Watson (please I hope I don't jinx him), he has strung a couple of games together, doesn't look like breaking down anytime soon and he has been one of our best players nearly every game.

I think if he keeps fit, he will be a key piece going forward for us. At the Roosters and when he first came here, he wasn't skilled enough with the ball to be a real half nor did he have the grit or sense to be a full-time hooker but with the game shifting in a new faster and slicker direction, I think we have struck gold with the lad.

The Connor Watson role. An impact middle forward who is quick, shifty, defends well, can make something happen when darting out from dummy half and can poke his head through with his carries. He is different from the traditional backrower mids and isn't an enforcer middle like Victor Radley. He is playing the Connor Watson role.

This season so far he has had to carry more of the attacking workload because we had Ponga and a Pearce out and had to rely on Mann. Once we get the lads back and Connor can go back to being himself (just run the ball, sniff for offloads and get into dummy half for a quick run) I think we are going to see an almost rep level player.

Or he will go down injured on the weekend and I would have wasted five minutes....

slotmachine

First Grade
My physio was going off about how groin injuries like KPs are on the conditioning team.

It's funny, the Knights #1 cheerleader Barry Toohey gets defensive when anyone questions what the club is doing in regards to all the injures. Standard response is that most clubs have lots of injuries this year.

Then in the next breath he says we are going so bad because we have more injuries than other clubs. Lol

Knight Tales

Juniors
It's funny, the Knights #1 cheerleader Barry Toohey gets defensive when anyone questions what the club is doing in regards to all the injures. Standard response is that most clubs have lots of injuries this year.

Then in the next breath he says we are going so bad because we have more injuries than other clubs. Lol
Barry has debunked about every false story the Sydney media has come up with involving this club. I think it is bit harsh to call him non critical of the club. He is in a delicate position I agree. He can’t isolate the club cos then the Herald would likely be heavily impacted by that. I would be surprised if his Knights related articles are not the most read on their site and in circulation.
He has a rare relationship with the club and they trust him. He has spent 25 years building it. This is not unheard of
Rothfield- Sharks
Weidler- Roosters and Souths
Read - Broncos
Badel - Broncos and Titans
Hooper - Tigers
They all have inside knowledge of these places and relationships to them. It is how they stay at the top. Getting a club to trust you as a journalist is A very hard gig. It is a very closed shop.

Last edited:

PhilGould

Bench
He's literally on Wests' payroll, they're backing his podcast now. Certain things you can take as gospel but don't expect objective and unbiased journalism. Seems like his sources on potential recruits has dried up since the new coach took over too.

ryana87

Juniors
Baz reporting that Ponga did a fitness test today to see if he'll be sweet for the weekend.... Haven't heard anything yet...... No news is good news right?!?!?

Knight Tales

Juniors
I think a few weeks ago Obi definitely wouldn't have risked Ponga but with the season hanging on the line he may be desperate to get him back urgently
Season on the line and do you or do you not Risk your marquee talent and face losing him for much longer! I do not envy Obi’s position on that one.

This.....is not my experience when reading Barrys stuff

Think youre being pretty unfair on him to be honest

Old dog

Juniors
So let’s say we play Ponga, fit or not, he breaks down during the game, has to be replaced, have we changed the bench, Hoy in 17, or do we shuffle say Johns to Centre and Mann to f/b. Or is it Watson to f/b and the other 3 bench cover the rest.
Give me Ponga with Watson cover

macavity

Referee
Interesting. I don't know how much is bad luck vs bad recovery/conditioning etc but it feels like we've never been at the forefront in conditioning.

his take was lingering groin issues is almost always either bad body mechanics (unlikely with KP you would think) or unbalanced physique (ie a weakness in the lower back or over developed quads) - both of which are on the trainers.

of course tears etc are a different story but they are an impact / torsion injury.

I have had some major back issues which have caused secondary groin, glute and ITB issues and he has been fantastic in getting me moving pain free, so I trust what he says.

Jono078

Referee
Unfortunately this is no huge surprise. Sounds like the Knights want him to spend the next couple of weeks to figure out when he will be fit enough to return aka do not play origin 2.

I think I'd rather Mann at fullback and Shibasaki at centre than Hoy again.

Yosh

Coach
Is To'a still out a while? I'd happy have To'a over Hoy at the back any day of the week.

Latest posts