What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Match Discussion: Round 15 vs Warriors @ McDonald Jones Stadium

Who will win? Round 15: Newcastle v Warriors

• Newcastle Knights 13+

Votes: 2 66.7%
  • Newcastle Knights 1-12

Votes: 1 33.3%
  • Draw after Golden Point

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Warriors 1-12

• Warriors 13+

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

perverse

Referee
One of the worst games you'll ever see. I feel like any other side beats us today.
If it was a dry track, I'd agree... but the conditions really hampered any chance of that game playing out differently.

Obviously we do have to improve, though. We still need some spark with the ball. The Jones/Young edge is a concern in defence, although we really benefitted from having their bodies able to take early hitups. Hunts return was valuable too.

PhilGould

Bench
Still concerning how lost we look in attacking positions without Ponga, but at least Clifford's kicking game gives us another huge weapon. He played the conditions perfectly.

Saifiti's should be the starting props moving forward.

If it was a dry track, I'd agree... but the conditions really hampered any chance of that game playing out differently.

Obviously we do have to improve, though. We still need some spark with the ball. The Jones/Young edge is a concern in defence, although we really benefitted from having their bodies able to take early hitups. Hunts return was valuable too.
Fair play but that attack is beyond woeful. Any semblance of attacking competence would've seen us put a big score on imo. They were as bad as us regardless of conditions. Just putrid with ball in hand.

Jono078

Referee
Just in regards to the attack and conditions aside..

I thought we started well and looked promising.. Gotta remember we're missing some strike out side and obviously Ponga. I still wish there was some better play in the middle which would open up the edges.

We kind of went away from spreading the ball, not sure if this is confidence or knowing its one of those games where an error could be crucial and we didn't have the confidence in ourselves to play more expansive.

Jury is out but we have the rest of the season to identify what the problem may be, whether it was our talent or if the coach needs to re-think what he coaches.

perverse

Referee
We kind of went away from spreading the ball, not sure if this is confidence or knowing its one of those games where an error could be crucial and we didn't have the confidence in ourselves to play more expansive.
That all went out the window as soon as Fitz dropped it on Manns pass very early. I get why, with the rain, but ultimately what do you do? When we spread it, we drop it. Would be nice to have Friz back and another backrower that isn't largely a waste of space.

Yosh

Coach
We looked composed and in control all game. Gave them one run away try and that was it. They didn't look like scoring all game. Defense was spot on again.

That paragraph above doesn't sound like a Knights team. Plenty of positives to take forward.

Clifford's all round kicking game is spot on. Bombs are the best in the league and he got us repeat set after repeat set today as well. Great recruiting.

Of course Brodie was going to get us the winning try. Was it ever in doubt? I would like to see us get Young into some space. He looms quick and would be hard to stop once he gets going.

Brailey is definitely our captain. He reminds me of a Knights player of old. He is all ticker with a splash of talent. That try saver on Walsh and the charge down. My man of the match.

Mr_Knightside

Juniors
We looked composed and in control all game. Gave them one run away try and that was it. They didn't look like scoring all game. Defense was spot on again.

That paragraph above doesn't sound like a Knights team. Plenty of positives to take forward.

Clifford's all round kicking game is spot on. Bombs are the best in the league and he got us repeat set after repeat set today as well. Great recruiting.

Of course Brodie was going to get us the winning try. Was it ever in doubt? I would like to see us get Young into some space. He looms quick and would be hard to stop once he gets going.

Brailey is definitely our captain. He reminds me of a Knights player of old. He is all ticker with a splash of talent. That try saver on Walsh and the charge down. My man of the match.

Brailey reminds me of the modern day Buderus. He’s always there to make that 1% play, he is just full of little efforts throughout the game that other players aren’t willing to do. I really hope he toss in to play 200 games for this club.

GidleyTwinz

Juniors
Just rewatched our 2006 game against the Raiders. It's amazing how much the sport has changed. To say there would have been 10 bins based on modern PVL ball is conservative.

It's actually quite nice to watch pre-Bellamy ball, where dominant runs just naturally result in quick plat-the-balls. Much less wrestle.

Also refreshing to see infringements in your own 20 result in penalties instead of this silly 6-again stuff.

aqua_duck

Coach
I'm not sure if anyone watched the storm game tonight but their attack is absolutely ridiculous, the way they move the ball around is effortless. From what I understand AOB was in charge or attack when he was at the storm, he was responsible for that arm wrestle, grinding style that the storm used to utilise, they rebuilt their attack last year and now look unstoppable regardless of how many players are out. We play the exact opposite to them

Jono078

Referee
I noticed how much they carry the ball to the line to draw defenders and pass to players running into holes.

sounds simple and they make it look effortless. Commit and pass.

aqua_duck

Coach
I noticed how much they carry the ball to the line to draw defenders and pass to players running into holes.

sounds simple and they make it look effortless. Commit and pass.
It's simple things like players in motion, players standing deep enough, you compare their shape to us where all 13 players are all bunched up the first 2 or 3 tackles of any given set for us which allows the defence tee off on the ball carrier.

aqua_duck

Coach
A critism last week was that we didn't go through them. Watson mentioned that was the aim.
In my opinion we still haven't adapted to the new rules and quicker game. Before last year the long held belief was you had to go through teams because defensive lines were usually quite set but with the speed of the game and PTBs I think you can have alot of success shifting the ball early and the worst it keeps the defence in 2 minds.
When teams play the knights they know it will be at least 3 or 4 one out hit ups, and at most one pretty clunky attempt at something resembling a set move.

perverse

Referee
In my opinion we still haven't adapted to the new rules and quicker game. Before last year the long held belief was you had to go through teams because defensive lines were usually quite set but with the speed of the game and PTBs I think you can have alot of success shifting the ball early and the worst it keeps the defence in 2 minds.
When teams play the knights they know it will be at least 3 or 4 one out hit ups, and at most one pretty clunky attempt at something resembling a set move.
It's a huge problem for us. I don't know why we can't move the ball, early or otherwise. The one time I recall us trying in the game, Fitz dropped a clean pass cold. There's a lack of concentration there, but also this kind of thing should become second nature if you train it week in, week out. At this point you have to conclude that we are just poorly coached in attack. Really poorly. It's frustrating to watch.