What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Match Discussion: Round 16 vs North Qld @ McDonald Jones Stadium

Who will win? Round 16: Newcastle v North Qld

• Newcastle Knights 13+

Votes: 2 50.0%
  • Newcastle Knights 1-12

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • Draw after Golden Point

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • North Queensland Cowboys 1-12

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • North Queensland Cowboys 13+

Votes: 1 25.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Loose Cannon

Bench
Not many teams can boast having a versatile livewire like him. He may get shifted around a bit, and play a lot off the bench... but it needs to be stressed to him that it doesn't matter where he's played, his importance to the team is huge. I wouldn't mind paying him a lot more than your average benchie.
I’ve said from the time he arrived here, he is pure energy. Clifford‘s efforts also reminiscent tonight. Hopefully that mindset continues to rub off on the whole squad.

Watson needs to be our highest priority signing target.

NK Arsenal

Juniors
Besides KP making me cream...

Thought Klemmer was great off the bench. Would be happy for that to be permanent as long as he can still belt out 50-60 minutes

Watson also very good off the bench.

Clifford seemed like he took some pressure off Pearce

Wonderful defensive effort

Overall great team performance

Old dog

Juniors
Very good result, many very good efforts, defence was great but Cowboys were ordinary if all remain fit/healthy then we will make the 8 but only just 1-6 look set

Apey

Staff member
We really needed this scoreline for our F/A too.

Great win, great night.

Onwards and upwards!

Not to be a debbie downer but it will probably get reversed and then some in two weeks time 😅

Great win, great team effort all round. Got our PongDom on tonight.

Clifford motm for sure.

Yosh

Coach
Great game. Great win. Great feeling. Some thoughts:

- Clifford is a machine. Great kicking game but also brings great kick chase and defensive effort to the side. Looks like he is almost the perfect partner for Pearce. Made our biggest weakness (fifth tackle options and attacking kick threat) into one of our biggest weapons. His defense, enthusiasm and effort has also been superb since the minute he got here.

- Ponga really is THAT good. Whenever he is out for a couple of weeks, I forget how good he is. I forget how good one player can actually be. Only took 3 minutes to remind me and everyone else how good he is. I want him to stick around forever.

- Saifitis starting and Klemmer off the bench is something we should stick with for the rest of the season. How fired up is Klemmer when he comes off the bench? In his first defensive set, he hunted down their kicker with a real mean look on his face. It was damn intimidating. Good to see. Made some massive carriers throughout the game as well.

- Fitz needs a couple of really big games soon or Jones is going to take his spot. Jones makes a lot less errors and is a much stronger defender. I hope we resigned him on near minimum contract money only.

- Tuala is getting better and better each game. I think left centre suits him much better than playing on the right. Didn't do anything wrong and had some strong carries. Is he resigned?

- Very happy with our wingers. Dom Young is raw but is bursting with potential. Strong, quick and great in the air. Seems to have some awareness about his game as well. Set up Ponga for his two tries tonight. Ponga returned the favor with class though. Hunt has been severely missed all season. Solid carries out of our half, safe under the bomb and his defensive reads are first class. The Cowboys spine couldn't find a way to outsmart Hunt's defensive nous.

- Mann was pretty decent. Mann for $300k a season or Gagai for $600k, I'd take Mann in a heartbeat.

- Watson: sign the man up. Looks like he is over his injury worries. Offers that something different. A light weight Brandon Smith. Offers excellent impact off the bench, can play the link role, can back up well on line breaks, strong carries for a small man and does not miss a tackle. Add to the fact that he covers hooker, lock, centre, half and fullback, he is integral to how we play.

- Probably missed out on a ton of stuff I wanted to say but so happy with the win. I would say that the competition is clearly divided with the top teams definitely a league above the lower teams. However, I think at full strength, we might be that one side who is between the top and bottom teams. We should definitely be in the finals this year. If we make it, we will give a lot of the top teams a run for their money. Let's keep everyone fit, get Frizzell back and give the Storm a real good game.

GidleyTwinz

Juniors
Great game. Great win. Great feeling. Some thoughts:

- Clifford is a machine. Great kicking game but also brings great kick chase and defensive effort to the side. Looks like he is almost the perfect partner for Pearce. Made our biggest weakness (fifth tackle options and attacking kick threat) into one of our biggest weapons. His defense, enthusiasm and effort has also been superb since the minute he got here.

- Ponga really is THAT good. Whenever he is out for a couple of weeks, I forget how good he is. I forget how good one player can actually be. Only took 3 minutes to remind me and everyone else how good he is. I want him to stick around forever.

- Saifitis starting and Klemmer off the bench is something we should stick with for the rest of the season. How fired up is Klemmer when he comes off the bench? In his first defensive set, he hunted down their kicker with a real mean look on his face. It was damn intimidating. Good to see. Made some massive carriers throughout the game as well.

- Fitz needs a couple of really big games soon or Jones is going to take his spot. Jones makes a lot less errors and is a much stronger defender. I hope we resigned him on near minimum contract money only.

- Tuala is getting better and better each game. I think left centre suits him much better than playing on the right. Didn't do anything wrong and had some strong carries. Is he resigned?

- Very happy with our wingers. Dom Young is raw but is bursting with potential. Strong, quick and great in the air. Seems to have some awareness about his game as well. Set up Ponga for his two tries tonight. Ponga returned the favor with class though. Hunt has been severely missed all season. Solid carries out of our half, safe under the bomb and his defensive reads are first class. The Cowboys spine couldn't find a way to outsmart Hunt's defensive nous.

- Mann was pretty decent. Mann for $300k a season or Gagai for $600k, I'd take Mann in a heartbeat.

- Watson: sign the man up. Looks like he is over his injury worries. Offers that something different. A light weight Brandon Smith. Offers excellent impact off the bench, can play the link role, can back up well on line breaks, strong carries for a small man and does not miss a tackle. Add to the fact that he covers hooker, lock, centre, half and fullback, he is integral to how we play.

- Probably missed out on a ton of stuff I wanted to say but so happy with the win. I would say that the competition is clearly divided with the top teams definitely a league above the lower teams. However, I think at full strength, we might be that one side who is between the top and bottom teams. We should definitely be in the finals this year. If we make it, we will give a lot of the top teams a run for their money. Let's keep everyone fit, get Frizzell back and give the Storm a real good game.
Agree with most of this, but can't understand the Fitz/Jones comment.

Really feel like this is mostly about expectations. Fitz resigned at future-origin level money, and hasn't lived up to it. Jones was an afterthought, and has been better than that.

But if you step away from money, Fitz is a better defender, a more dangerous line runner, does just as much of the 1%ers (watch a kick pressure or a kick chase, don't just remember the two big efforts from Jones earlier in the year) and is an overall much better athlete. It isn't coincidence when he came back from injury, he walked back into the starting side, whereas Jones can't get more than 20 minutes when the team is fully fit.

Someone please explain to me where the love for Jones comes from, I can't understand it. Other than he's a local junior who made a couple of impactful plays when he first came into grade. Love the effort, but he's very limited.

Last edited:

Jono078

Referee
Just on this. I've definitely been drinking the Jones Kool-Aid this year but he is not the longterm answer to replace Fitz.

@GidleyTwinz I was going to post the above but forgot, so you beat me to it, but I agree.

Latest posts