What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Match Discussion: Round 20 vs Canberra @ Suncorp Stadium

Who will win? Round 20: Newcastle v Canberra

• Newcastle Knights 13+

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • Newcastle Knights 1-12

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Draw after Golden Point

• Canberra Raiders 1-12

• Canberra Raiders 13+

Votes: 1 50.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

perverse

Referee
Good contact from Crossland there. He has been a bit better today. Still largely a non-factor in the game, but at least the moments he has had have been alright.

perverse

Referee
I have questions about where he fits long term, but he is an excellent defender
Depth half for mine. He might end up a late bloomer as a first grade half, but he's not there yet by a long shot, and he's no good anywhere else. Let him develop in reserve grade and fill in for injuries. He's hardly banging the door down for a first grade spot.

We shouldn't fall into the trap of trying to find a spot for any kid that shows any tiny glimpse of maybe being a first grader. If he's destined for first grade, he'll earn it and demand it from the lower grades.

Knight Tales

Juniors
Score flattered Raiders. That said it is that sort of fade which is why we are not a top four side. Hopefully AOB says that was more his concern over emphasising the win. Bellamy would. Robbo would. Cleary same. Sometimes flattering a win is not the way to motivate.

Jono078

Referee
One of our better performances in recent times, especially without Pearce.

Big disappointment for mine is conceding those last two tries.

I think everyone played their roles good. Could argue our halves were the weak points of today but I'm not too worried about that, knowing they are capable of better.

Well done to the club on today. I'll say when I displeased with AOB but today he deserves praise.

We cannot go backwards now though. Today is the standard to expect and to build upon.

Jono078

Referee
I have questions about where he fits long term, but he is an excellent defender
Back-up half but I also see him being back-up to Brailey, if we don't keep Randall around.

It might just be his best position, I thought he had signs a couple of years ago that he could handle it and ability to do some clever things from there.

Good contact from Crossland there. He has been a bit better today. Still largely a non-factor in the game, but at least the moments he has had have been alright.
Non existent in attack but he's been rock solid in defence

Hooker is his position I think

Yosh

Coach
Good to see today

- Ponga with some deft touches
- We scored off a scrum play
- Klemmer with some offloads and passes before the line. He needs to work on this if he wants to stay relevant in the modern game
- Best is a huge threat and we are finally using him properly instead of using him as a battering ram.
- Tuala should stay out there on the wing
- Both Saifitis were great as usual
- Clifford's goal kicking was good. The ones he missed were unlucky as well
- Crossland linking up really well with Frizz. I loved the coming back under play they kept doing.
- Hunt was great per usual. Mann didn't do anything terrible which was great also
- We tried to spread the ball a little more in attack which was good to see
- We attempted some strips, which we never do, and it definitely put pressure on the Raiders ball carriers

Not so good
- We need to utilize Watson more effectively. He should always be sniffing around that ruck, not getting ready for the next attacking play.
- Game management was terrible. We basically let them have their tries. Raiders got us trapped in our 20m for ages and all we did was take it one up again. Why not kick on the 3rd or 4th tackle when the Raiders aren't ready for it? Clifford has a huge boot. I would love to see him kick it from inside the 20m and kick it dead even.

perverse

Referee
Non existent in attack but he's been rock solid in defence

Hooker is his position I think
Well, he sucked when he played hooker is all too. We already tried that. I mean, objectively speaking what did he do today? Made some good tackles and one or two good kicks... that was it. He does a very convincing invisible man impersonation, but because he can make a few tackles everyone seems to want to find a spot to squeeze him into the team. He's nowhere near a full strength NRL team at this stage. I think if he keeps developing in reserve grade, he will give us good service as a backup half and who knows down the track, maybe he can reach the lofty heights of a late blooming Chad Townsend or something.

With no teams banging the door down to sign him, and him not banging the door down to be included in first grade, I don't see any reason to try and work him into the team in a position that isn't the halves. He's fine as depth.

Latest posts