What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Match Discussion: Round 20 vs Titans @ Cbus Super Stadium

Who will win? Round 20: Titans v Knights

• Draw after Golden Point

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Newcastle Knights 13+

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Knight Vision

First Grade
And, it appears Barnett used a racial slur on Peachey. Absolutely no discipline, unacceptable behaviour and Barnett would be in the leadership group.
If true then that says everything about our leadership group doesnt it. f**king disgraceful.

Get back c*** ......could be misheard to be fair. I hope so.

Yosh

Coach
I don't watch every game every week but from the games I have seen this year, we have the worst attacking structure in the league. Ponga's genius gets us a try here and there but most games even Ponga gets shut down due to our predictable play style.

Summary:

1. We hit the ball one up 95% of the game. Regardless of where we are on the field, player plays the ball, hooker passes to nearest forward, said forward runs straight. Rinse and Repeat. We even take 2 or 3 settlers in the opposition 20m all the time.

2. We have no bodies in motion. We literally have the ball carrier and ball receiver moving and everyone else is waiting behind looking uninterested.

3. We have no support play. We make a semi break or get an arm free and the offload is to someone standing 5 metres behind waiting flat footed. The good teams always have someone running through sniffing the offload or supporting the break. We have nothing.

4. Our attacking plays include:
- short flat ball to Fitzy
- second rower runs back inside and gets the ball from the half. Second rower is no where near the line so the defense is set already and no one is fooled.
- hit up with our centre
- slow ball to Pearce, slower ball out the back to Ponga, shut down by opposition.

That's it. If we have used any other play this year, please let me know.

We are far too predictable and slow when we attack. The ball is slow out of dummy half, Pearce runs sideways and gets the ball slowly to Ponga.

The forwards would make a ton more metres if we threw some cut out balls to our gun centres early in the set OR kicked early in our half to find space behind the defending wingers OR put in some grubbers early in attacking positions to keep the opposition guessing. We only ever hit the ball up one out. The opposition know its coming, set up and smash our middles. Imagine we had the opposition at sixes and sevens, the Saitifi boys would get 200 metres every week.

As bad as Pearce's execution as been, the attacking structure isn't there. There isn't an ounce of flair in the side apart from Ponga's genius.

newyboy

Juniors
I think i said it a couple of years back. We needed the Walker Bros or similar coaching. Unorthodox, left field. I love the way the Titans have been playing, a bit like the Super Legue which is far better to watch than the NRL.

perverse

Referee
And, it appears Barnett used a racial slur on Peachey. Absolutely no discipline, unacceptable behaviour and Barnett would be in the leadership group.
Wow, that's really grim if true. I suppose we'll defend him as a club too "not his go", etc. Just when I was really warming to the guy, too. Shame.
Anyone else still fuming??? Still haven’t been able to calm myself down.....
I don't really get angry about it after so many years, I just get stuck in the same dark pit of disappointment. I've actually built a nice little house down here. I'll make you a cuppa.

Last edited:

Knight Vision

First Grade
20 out from the opposition try line in front of the uprights- dummy half passes right and the first receiver passes back on the inside to Ponga. That's worked a couple of times.

I remember a game - Knights v Warriors I think it was. Green standing on the left of the ruck waving players into position and our backline standing deep......everyone was running onto the ball ........I got a buzz thinking f**k yeh here we come baby.......

Then Green got injured

It was the last time I saw our backline function to a standard where I thought we could give this a right old shake.

No one looks to be directing anyone out there....completely rudderless

Mr_Knightside

Juniors
I don't watch every game every week but from the games I have seen this year, we have the worst attacking structure in the league. Ponga's genius gets us a try here and there but most games even Ponga gets shut down due to our predictable play style.

Summary:

1. We hit the ball one up 95% of the game. Regardless of where we are on the field, player plays the ball, hooker passes to nearest forward, said forward runs straight. Rinse and Repeat. We even take 2 or 3 settlers in the opposition 20m all the time.

2. We have no bodies in motion. We literally have the ball carrier and ball receiver moving and everyone else is waiting behind looking uninterested.

3. We have no support play. We make a semi break or get an arm free and the offload is to someone standing 5 metres behind waiting flat footed. The good teams always have someone running through sniffing the offload or supporting the break. We have nothing.

- second rower runs back inside and gets the ball from the half. Second rower is no where near the line so the defense is set already and no one is fooled.
- hit up with our centre
- slow ball to Pearce, slower ball out the back to Ponga, shut down by opposition.

We are far too predictable and slow when we attack. The ball is slow out of dummy half, Pearce runs sideways and gets the ball slowly to Ponga.

The forwards would make a ton more metres if we threw some cut out balls to our gun centres early in the set OR kicked early in our half to find space behind the defending wingers OR put in some grubbers early in attacking positions to keep the opposition guessing. We only ever hit the ball up one out. The opposition know its coming, set up and smash our middles. Imagine we had the opposition at sixes and sevens, the Saitifi boys would get 200 metres every week.

As bad as Pearce's execution as been, the attacking structure isn't there. There isn't an ounce of flair in the side apart from Ponga's genius.

This pretty much sums up exactly how I feel. Well said.

Despite the terrible efforts of the players, I think at least a large portion of this blame has to fall on the coach. We didn't show anything we haven't shown for most of the season. Think back to the games vs Cowboys, Bulldogs, Warriors etc where we just didn't bother turning up... but what has O'Brien changed to fix it? Can you imagine Bellamy, Bennett, Robinson etc flogging a dead horse the way OB is now?

Old dog

Juniors
Read the Telegraph this morning and our terrible effort hardly rated a mention due to Souths big score, unbelievable result and of course Dean Jones passing away

Knight76

Juniors

Summary:

1. We hit the ball one up 95% of the game.
2. We have no bodies in motion.
3. We have no support play.
- second rower runs back inside
- hit up with our centre

Exactly, people have been saying the same for years.

Then, lacklustre kick chase, weak kick pressure, lazy defence, the same rubbish clearing kicks from Pearce with zero variance, lack of effort in practically all effort areas.

OB said in the presser he was sick of the one out stuff or something, well mate, that was our go before you arrived and has continued since. Not like this is a new development.

Other teams get to their 30 or 40 and are spreading the ball wide and making good metres doing so. Whilst we are one out plodding up the field in the most dire Rugby League I have ever seen.

And we bring players in from other clubs that have "good systems" yet they turn up here and sink in to the mire.

Knight Vision

First Grade
Despite the terrible efforts of the players, I think at least a large portion of this blame has to fall on the coach. We didn't show anything we haven't shown for most of the season. Think back to the games vs Cowboys, Bulldogs, Warriors etc where we just didn't bother turning up... but what has O'Brien changed to fix it? Can you imagine Bellamy, Bennett, Robinson etc flogging a dead horse the way OB is now?
I'll cut him some slack given the weird year that is 2020.

My guess is AOB knows what we all know, and he has some tough calls to make over the off season. Let's see if he has the kahuna's to make them.