What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Match Discussion: Round 21 vs Brisbane @ Sunshine Coast Stadium

Who will win? Round 21: Newcastle v Brisbane

• Newcastle Knights 13+

Votes: 3 100.0%
  • Newcastle Knights 1-12

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Draw after Golden Point

• Brisbane Broncos 1-12

• Brisbane Broncos 13+

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

perverse

Referee
f**kin Pearce... sets up a try (not just with that one pass, but working that area over all game). Absolute arsehole.

Burns

First Grade
Yes, they're on him - but it's up to him to get into positions to receive it as a fullback too. Been plenty of opportunities for him to run support and get an offload tonight.
Good analysis. I think its the one big deficiency in Ponga against your Teddy/Tedesco etc etc. He just sometimes fails to be 'there'.

Alex28

Coach
Hopefully (from next week) the spine gets a few weeks to play together, find their groove, develop their game and get some wins and confidence leading into the finals.

I know it’s been ugly, but given we are down to 15 and it was only a 4 day gap between games, they have gone alright.

Jono078

Referee
Well that's the nicest one of the night. Credit to Tuala taking that, wasn't the best from Best.

perverse

Referee
Now that was beautiful - and Ponga did exactly what we need from him. Backed up the run from DSaf looking for the offload then immediately threw himself at them where they were running backwards. That's the shit right there. Inject it directly in my veins.

Jono078

Referee
We are a 7th to 10th place team. As a forum, we need to lower our expectations and enjoy the odd wins we get.
Each to their own but I find this outlook very bizarre. Under the Brown rebuild we knew we had some shit.

The AOB era we should be expecting much more. Don't think anyone is thinking top 2-4. But we shouldn't be a team that loses to the Tigers twice in 2021.

perverse

Referee
I'd love to see us really sink the knife in here. It would completely change the complexion of the game.

Alex28

Coach
Well that's the problem right there. I believe we have a 5th to 8th place roster, and I expect most coaches in the NRL would agree.
But we aren’t - are we? We don’t have the depth of the teams running 5th or 6th. We always have injuries - we can’t avoid that. Whilst ever we need to play guys like Hoy or Toa on a regular basis, we aren’t keeping up with the top 6.

K-Man

Bench
That's what Ponga is great at, probably the best in the world. I don't think it's his game to be a Tedesco and Turbo popping up everywhere play after play, dominating with persistence and all round strengths. Ponga is a guy who wants the ball in specific situations where he can use his run/pass selection and speed to score and set up tries. But his game all over the rest of the field is not at the elite level, I don't know if it ever will be.

Not a dig by the way, I love Ponga. We'd be nothing without him. But I think we have to accept what he is and what he isn't.

Latest posts