What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Match Discussion: Round 21 vs Brisbane @ Sunshine Coast Stadium

Who will win? Round 21: Newcastle v Brisbane

• Newcastle Knights 13+

Votes: 3 100.0%
  • Newcastle Knights 1-12

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Draw after Golden Point

• Brisbane Broncos 1-12

• Brisbane Broncos 13+

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

aqua_duck

Coach
And there's the advantage of just a quick e w rly shift, if we were in that position there would've been a settler then we would run shape then pass it to Fitzy to run the crash line

perverse

Referee
This has been an odd game. Neither team has put in an 80 minute performance, but both teams have had things to like about their performances too. Kudos to Brisbane, I think Kevie is actually slowly turning them around.

perverse

Referee
Ugh such a mixed game.

Things I've liked:
- The forwards, as usual.
- Our composure in the first half. We could have got frustrated and lost our shit at that point, but we didn't.
- No injuries to key men. Never a given for us.
- Tuala.

Things I've not liked:
- Spine hasn't fired. No real cohesion here at all. Individual work from our halves got us there - but as a unit they were like strangers for the most part.
- The rest of the backs aside from Tuala. Either no impact or in the case of our right side - nearly losing us the game.

Again, I think Brisbane deserve a bit of a clap too. On the back of a really shitty year, it looks like they might be turning a corner. They showed up tonight, and as much as they clearly lack polish and class - their effort was there for the whole game. Their contact, especially in the first half, was pretty brutal. I hope we take them more seriously in a few weeks.

Slacked off a bit there.
Broncos were always going to be tough. They had nothing to lose and many playing for their futures.
Lots to work on but considering the quick turn around I'll give that a pass.

aqua_duck

Coach
That victory almost felt like a loss such was the performance. Broncos were terrible, if they dished that up against storm, south's or Turbo it would've been a 50 point drubbing but we barely got the points. The problem is against any of those top 6 teams I just don't see any way we can compete with them. Are attacking structure is so impotent that we could have Latrell, prime GI, Addo Carr and prime Uate in the outside backs and it would not really make much of a difference because they just wouldn't get any good clean ball.

Zoidberg

First Grade
Another game where we never looked comfortable even when we get a decent lead, and we let them back into it in the final 15mins.
Broncos basically kept us in the game giving us a load of possession with errors (sometimes forced) at their end, but also were in our face in defence all night.
A few things against us didn’t help. 4 day turnaround, no Brailey, and losing Hunt, and I think all those things showed.

Yosh

Coach
If the spine isn't clicking, we just need to get Watson right into the action. Get him to touch the ball two to three times a set. Give the halves and Ponga some time to find their groove.

How good are our forwards? I can't see us losing to any pack bar perhaps the Storm, who use their forwards better than ours.

Definitely missed Brailey. That split second out from the ruck slowed our attack significantly.

I hope Hunt is okay!

Jono078

Referee
That victory almost felt like a loss such was the performance. Broncos were terrible, if they dished that up against storm, south's or Turbo it would've been a 50 point drubbing but we barely got the points. The problem is against any of those top 6 teams I just don't see any way we can compete with them. Are attacking structure is so impotent that we could have Latrell, prime GI, Addo Carr and prime Uate in the outside backs and it would not really make much of a difference because they just wouldn't get any good clean ball.
I reckon there's four 90m long-range tries in that though... I'll take it!

But seriously, that's right. We don't appear to have anything to offer any serious threat to the top teams.

I still hope we make the finals because everyone wants a chance that time of of the year. But it'll be a good lesson when all cards are on the table and where we stack up.

Alex28

Coach
Things I've not liked:
- Spine hasn't fired. No real cohesion here at all. Individual work from our halves got us there - but as a unit they were like strangers for the most part.
It’s because they are. Ponga/Clifford/Pearce/Brailey have had one game together?

perverse

Referee
I think you're being a bit rough, but mostly true. We don't compete with the rest of the top 8 with that performance.

perverse

Referee
It’s because they are. Ponga/Clifford/Pearce/Brailey have had one game together?
For sure, definitely contributes. They all combined well against the Cowboys, though. Having said that, the Cowboys had nowhere near the intent in their game that Brisbane had tonight, either.

slotmachine

First Grade
Yeah it's funny because I think Pearce and Clifford were out two best players, but the direction was totally lacking.
I hope with Brailey back and 10 days for pearce to train with team we will be heaps better against the sharks

perverse

Referee
You guys have an A+ centre in Bradman Best.....yet you don't use him. Why is that the case?
Because our spine has played 2 games together in the past 2 years. There's also a reasonably sized question mark over the coaching.

Latest posts