What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Match Discussion: Round 22 vs Cronulla @ Venue TBC

Who will win? Round 22: Cronulla v Newcastle

• Cronulla-Sutherland Sharks 13+

Votes: 1 20.0%
  • Cronulla-Sutherland Sharks 1-12

Votes: 2 40.0%
  • Draw after Golden Point

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Newcastle Knights 1-12

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Newcastle Knights 13+

Votes: 2 40.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Mr_Knightside

Juniors
That was a super stressful game to watch but we managed to get over the line somehow.

Our attack still looks clunky as hell but at least we’re playing some really tough footy at the moment. We’re not scared to get into the trenches and grind out a win.

One thing that frustrated me was we actually had plenty of support plays in this game but we just refused to throw a pass. There were multiple occasions when a forward would run to the line and KP or Watson was running off their shoulder and a well timed pass would have seen one of these guys make a clean break. There was one in particular when Brailey took a scoot from DH and a hole opened up for KP on his inside and had he thrown the pass then KP would have been into the backfield untouched but he held onto it. If we get a couple of those plays right I feel like we would have carved them up tbh.

I’m sort of undecided whether Barnett had a good game or not. He was being used out the back in attack for some reason kind of like where KP usually plays but he kept getting rushed in defence and made some errors early on. But he then came up with some massive plays late in the game, that try saver on the line was crucial as well as the steak which completely changed the momentum. He also got off the line and came up with some big hits. I think those plays put him in the positive lol.

As has been mentioned Tuala seems to be doing his best work on the left wing. His finishing is underrated but I’m really impressed with his positioning in attack. He’s getting his depth right so he’s there to run onto the pass with momentum. I wouldn’t be against giving him another contract for the right price. Tuala and Hunt aren’t the flashiest wingers but they’ve been really safe and they score tries when given a little bit of room. Our backline depth actually starts to look good again if Lee gets his foot right and if we give him another deal.

Zoidberg

First Grade
It really was like watching a horror movie, my stomach was in knots most of the game.
Some positives,
-we held them to only 2 tries, and 1 was gifted from a Mann error. That’s the best we’ve done in defence for a month, and they had opportunities.
-We actually spread the ball a bit when we were being held in our own 20m zone to make a bit of yardage.
- there was a few hoodoo’s we overcame, mining jerseys, player’s milestone game (Connor’s 100th), beating another side twice in a season.

It really was like watching a horror movie, my stomach was in knots most of the game.
Some positives,
-we held them to only 2 tries, and 1 was gifted from a Mann error. That’s the best we’ve done in defence for a month, and they had opportunities.
-We actually spread the ball a bit when we were being held in our own 20m zone to make a bit of yardage.
- there was a few hoodoo’s we overcame, mining jerseys, player’s milestone game (Connor’s 100th), beating another side twice in a season.
Also, the dreaded 3 wins in a row hoodoo

Loose Cannon

Bench
Brailey took a scoot from Fake and a hole.......
Not game related, but this autocorrect happened to me yesterday too.

Anyone have any clue why "DH" corrects to "Fake". Took me three edits to fix.

Anyway, re Tuala; very happy with him on the left. He and Best are forming a very good combo, with only one occasion late where Best made a good run and Tuala was slow to follow. Overall, I'd be very happy to give Tuala another season provided he only plays left.

I guess that means Gagai needs to learn Right side defence, but so be it.

Ponga, Tuala (L), Best (L), Gagai (R), Hunt (R), Clifford, Pearce, Watson hopefully (13/14).

Knight Tales

Juniors
The thing i feel we can all agree on is that even though we played very average footy, we defended like our lives depended on it, and it held. That is where I think Obi has wanted us from round 1. He’d be stoked with the defence with the exception of the Ramien try.

aqua_duck

Coach
That was a super stressful game to watch but we managed to get over the line somehow.

Our attack still looks clunky as hell but at least we’re playing some really tough footy at the moment. We’re not scared to get into the trenches and grind out a win.

One thing that frustrated me was we actually had plenty of support plays in this game but we just refused to throw a pass. There were multiple occasions when a forward would run to the line and KP or Watson was running off their shoulder and a well timed pass would have seen one of these guys make a clean break. There was one in particular when Brailey took a scoot from Fake and a hole opened up for KP on his inside and had he thrown the pass then KP would have been into the backfield untouched but he held onto it. If we get a couple of those plays right I feel like we would have carved them up tbh.

I’m sort of undecided whether Barnett had a good game or not. He was being used out the back in attack for some reason kind of like where KP usually plays but he kept getting rushed in defence and made some errors early on. But he then came up with some massive plays late in the game, that try saver on the line was crucial as well as the steak which completely changed the momentum. He also got off the line and came up with some big hits. I think those plays put him in the positive lol.

As has been mentioned Tuala seems to be doing his best work on the left wing. His finishing is underrated but I’m really impressed with his positioning in attack. He’s getting his depth right so he’s there to run onto the pass with momentum. I wouldn’t be against giving him another contract for the right price. Tuala and Hunt aren’t the flashiest wingers but they’ve been really safe and they score tries when given a little bit of room. Our backline depth actually starts to look good again if Lee gets his foot right and if we give him another deal.
I mentioned in a previous post we definitely have not adjusted to the new rules, it took us 22 rounds just to have the audacity to shift the ball in our own half early in the set to make extra yardage, it will probably take us another 22 rounds before we learn how to engage the line and ball play out the back. The 1st half attack was abysmal, halves running sideways which limited the space the outside guys had to work with.
Even if we make the 8 we really need to completely revamp our attack next season but you're not going to get very far if you have such a hard time scoring points under Vlandys ball

Mr_Knightside

Juniors
Not game related, but this autocorrect happened to me yesterday too.

Anyone have any clue why "Fake" corrects to "Fake". Took me three edits to fix.

Anyway, re Tuala; very happy with him on the left. He and Best are forming a very good combo, with only one occasion late where Best made a good run and Tuala was slow to follow. Overall, I'd be very happy to give Tuala another season provided he only plays left.

I guess that means Gagai needs to learn Right side defence, but so be it.

Ponga, Tuala (L), Best (L), Gagai (R), Hunt (R), Clifford, Pearce, Watson hopefully (13/14).
“Fake” was meant to be DH as in dummy half.

Loose Cannon

Bench
D for Dummy, H for Half.

These initials must be offensive to some minority, possibly the stupid (not a minority), or the Hobbits.

mozza91

Coach
So NRL is looking hard at any incident which may have caused the Fifita injury 🙄
What a load of shit. If nobody was charged during the game or by the match review committee they have no right to do it after the fact because of the severity of the injury.

Yosh

Coach
For the last twenty minutes of the game, Barney looked like a rep player. Instead of doing stupid hit up after hit up, he used his energy to go hard in defense and do unexpected plays. It was glorious. Wonder if he can make it closer to 80 minutes of that sort of quality. Really enjoyed it.

After really looking hard at Klemmer’s role the past 2-3 months. I think there is definitely a role for a player like Klemmer in the modern game. I think it's off the bench after the stings gone out of the game a little. The game opens up a little and can get hectic. However, Klemmer offers a claiming, consistant presence. However, don't think he is worth close to $1m a year for that role.

Latest posts