What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Match Discussion: Round 24 vs Gold Coast @ Sunshine Coast Stadium

Who will win? Round 24: Newcastle v Gold Coast

• Newcastle Knights 13+

Votes: 1 20.0%
  • Newcastle Knights 1-12

• Draw after Golden Point

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Gold Coast Titans 1-12

• Gold Coast Titans 13+

Votes: 2 40.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Allstar Knights

Juniors
Next week we have to move Watson back to the bench. Not sure anyone noticed, but early we were conceding far too many metres through the middle and a lot of that was because they were running straight at Watson and he couldn't contain them.. Bring him on when the sting is out of the match.

Good win though. Our depleted pack was mostly dominated by the Titans pack but we were very resilient and desperate in our scramble defence. Frizell motm followed by Pearce.

Attack was improved in areas today but a huge issue still no doubt.

Last edited:

ryana87

Juniors
Would love to see Hodgson play 14 next week and give ponga a spell *if* we are in front with 20 to go or something

Would also like to see anyone but Mann named at centre...... Surely toa wouldn't be any worse?

Yosh

Coach
Ponga's touches were golden tonight. Pity they were just as rare as gold...

Pearce hopefully keeps up the good form and leads with his actions. It was so good to see a Knights 7 take the game by the scruff of the neck and win it for us.

Mr_Knightside

Juniors
I called it earlier in the week. We played tough and managed to grind out a win. Our attack looked a bit more like we were willing to move the ball but still some of the same old problems with runners getting in each other’s way and taking the wrong options. All that being said it’s great to have our finals spot locked in with a week to go which means we can prepare for the finals without any pressure. AOB might even rest a couple of guys, although I hope not given we need to find some form in attack.

We’re on possibly the ugliest 5 match winning streak in NRL history but I’ll take it!

Jono078

Referee
Check the stats and he is playing outside Mann
I wasn't talking about his involvement as such, more his kick returns.

His second half seemed to be better tonight with how strong he was carrying the ball. I just feel like he has been slower and not bending the line as well as he used to on his kick returns or any carries out of our end.

Still like him just feel he hasn't been as impactful in those areas as he usually is.

Yosh

Coach
I thought Friz was really strong tonight as well. As well as Barny. Jacob has been quiet the past two weeks and Watson didn't provide that much impact. Sue was his usual self. Really like what King has offered again.

Mann is by far our weakest link. Team is only as good as its worst player. He sure is injury proof though!

Old dog

Juniors
We are in the semi’s and can cruise the next game if want to.
Ponga was better, Tuala and Hunt seemed to lack effect but possibly because Best and Mann were ordinary. Clifford and Pearce did well, expect them to keep getting better, Frizell and Brailey were best of pack, JSaf was better than last week, Sue put in strong, Frizell was again good, Barnett was very involved, might need to back of a bit. Watson should not start at 13. Bench was ok, King best, then Jones he does a lot unnoticed, Randall and Momoisea did ok but unless injuries etc won’t plat in semi

Apey

Staff member
Can't wait until everyone forgets about this match when Pearce gets tackled on the 4th a few times next week.
I definitely won't forget his only good game of the year ;)

We're still shit but credit to us we have somehow been on the right end of the scoreboard the last few weeks. Pearce had his best game for a while. Best and Mann were both terrible. Ponga had some good moments but most of his ball-playing was atrocious. What is going on with that.

aqua_duck

Coach
The positive of Watto leaving is Barney moving to the middle and hopefully not killing all the plays wide.
Fitzy will take over that role and kill the plays even more. Don't blame Barney when it's been instilled into them to hit that lead running edge 150% of the time weather it be Barney of Fitz

perverse

Referee
I kinda hate to be a poster that lays the boot into a single player ad nauseum, but I just don't think we can afford to keep carrying Kurt Mann in football games. His consistent brutal errors put so much more pressure on us than is necessary, and he provides so very little in return. I don't know how the coaching staff don't see that he's a grade A turnip. I honestly don't even blame him much anymore, he is what he is (utterly hopeless) and clearly can't change that. It's on the coach that keeps picking him at this point.

Last edited:

Alex28

Coach
I kinda hate to be a poster that lays the boot into a single player ad nauseum, but I just don't think we can afford to keep carrying Kurt Mann in football games. His consistent brutal errors put so much more pressure on us than is necessary, and he provides so very little in return. I don't know how the coaching staff don't see that he's a grade A turnip. I honestly don't even blame him much anymore, he is what he is (utterly hopeless) and clearly can't change that. It's on the coach that keeps picking him at this point.
That’s all well and good, but who goes into centre in his place? Shib?

He’s there because he’s all we have. Next year he won’t be there. Just have to make do for now.

Mr_Knightside

Juniors
I’m surprised that people would rather Toa or Young over Mann at this stage. For all his faults I think Mann has got more going for him than those two at the moment. Toa can’t catch contested kicks and Young made some seriously fundamental errors and I think Mann offers better metres that either of them so I’d stick with him for the time being.

Zoidberg

First Grade
The thing with Mann is we have obviously been working hard on our defence and quite a few times his mistakes or poor tackle attempt have lead directly to a try.
If he can cut out those important errors and learn to pass to Hunt, I don’t mind him staying in the centre.

Latest posts