What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Match Discussion: Round 24 vs Penrith @ Moreton Daily Stadium

Who will win? Round 24: Penrith v Wests Tigers

• Penrith Panthers 13+

Votes: 23 82.1%
  • Penrith Panthers 1-12

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Draw after Golden Point

• Wests Tigers 1-12

• Wests Tigers 13+

Votes: 5 17.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

stryker

First Grade
Despite your protestations Phantom, that was a first grade football side that we put out yesterday who prepared all week to take on Penrith together.
In the first half they proved that they can keep scoring to a minimum if the correct attitude is applied. The boys scrambled really well and showed desperation in the collision and on the line with Noffa leading the way against To’o and Burton. The score should have been 6-6 at half time and that would have been reward for an excellent effort. Unfortunately the boys clocked off 5 minutes before halftime and let an easy try in. The point was made though and for 35 minutes, this “third tier team” held the 2nd placed team with almost a full strength roster and in “white hot form” to 1 try. They can turn it on when they feel like it.
For the 5mins before halftime and 3/4 of the second half they didn’t apply themselves in the same fashion and found themselves down by another 4 tries. It’s true they fought back to an extent but as has been the case on a dozen losses this year, it was too little, too late.
The damage done when the effort levels drop is too hard to combat with the late comeback. 7 times this year we have scored 4+ tries and lost.
Point being, I disagree with posters claiming that things are looking good for next year. My positives this year are the arrivals of Stef and Laurie and the offloading of dead wood contracts for next year. The negatives are too numerous to list. If we can snare some talent during the off season…we may get close to the finals. At this point in time though, we’re bound for bottom 2.

Tigerm

First Grade
I agree but he still shouldn't have done it. Madden was also really good. He might be a first grader.
To be fair to Seyfarth, they train for this scenario, it didn't work, but he did exactly what he was supposed to do.

Yes, it will be interesting how they put the team together next year, with Madden and Hastings making there cases and AD out for a while?

stryker

First Grade
100% - plain as day you could see him peel away - problem was Liddle thought he had the ball but.
It was such a dumb, high risk play.
When you have a big hombre like TPJ storming onto the ball you tackle him first and then try and get tricky with a steal.
When they first made contact with him he was 15m out …the tackle had to be made.

Despite your protestations Phantom, that was a first grade football side that we put out yesterday who prepared all week to take on Penrith together.
In the first half they proved that they can keep scoring to a minimum if the correct attitude is applied. The boys scrambled really well and showed desperation in the collision and on the line with Noffa leading the way against To’o and Burton. The score should have been 6-6 at half time and that would have been reward for an excellent effort. Unfortunately the boys clocked off 5 minutes before halftime and let an easy try in. The point was made though and for 35 minutes, this “third tier team” held the 2nd placed team with almost a full strength roster and in “white hot form” to 1 try. They can turn it on when they feel like it.
For the 5mins before halftime and 3/4 of the second half they didn’t apply themselves in the same fashion and found themselves down by another 4 tries. It’s true they fought back to an extent but as has been the case on a dozen losses this year, it was too little, too late.
The damage done when the effort levels drop is too hard to combat with the late comeback. 7 times this year we have scored 4+ tries and lost.
Point being, I disagree with posters claiming that things are looking good for next year. My positives this year are the arrivals of Stef and Laurie and the offloading of dead wood contracts for next year. The negatives are too numerous to list. If we can snare some talent during the off season…we may get close to the finals. At this point in time though, we’re bound for bottom 2.
Mr @stryker, don’t think for a moment we are heading into 2022 with the same squad as this year plus a couple from esl.

Each year we turnover an average of 27% of the squad and there is no reason to believe that this year will be any different.

Harto isn’t getting too far ahead of himself like past regimes.

And people forget, the turnover of Marquee is far greater these days. Breaking into origin etc has never been easier. The mix is important.

I will concede though, we need some good players and Madge or not, 100% better coaching outcomes.

I like my ex-marquee as a tiny bias.

I am glad you are coming around to accepting the merit in the last game, however odious some of the play was. Many unenforced errors regrettably.

And it’s a good time for you to reconsider your slight against Doogie. He is the real deal, fantastic player and is part of our future.

stryker

First Grade
I would welcome him back as a centre, dependant of course on how much speed he has lost as he didn’t start with much to spare.
He is not a 5/8.

Latest posts