What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Match Discussion: Round 25 vs Brisbane @ Suncorp Stadium

Who will win? Round 25: Brisbane v Newcastle

• Brisbane Broncos 13+

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Brisbane Broncos 1-12

• Draw after Golden Point

• Newcastle Knights 1-12

• Newcastle Knights 13+

Votes: 1 100.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Johns Magic

Referee
As trendy as it is to shit on the coaches playing finals two years running after an 18 year gap counts for something.

Zero confidence they can fix the attack though, and I mean for next year, not next week.

I don’t think we’ve had a roster this good or a draw this favourable in that time. And we’ve had a good run with winning tight ones.

We’ve had the dream draw this year and purely on for-and-against have come 12th. That’s more reflective of how this season has felt to me.

perverse

Referee
Is it safe to say that Ponga is in the worst form of his career at the moment? Tragic in defence, can't seem to figure out how to break the line, passes all over the place, can't seem to get his head into most games at all. Doesn't look like he knows where to be, and when he's there doesn't know what to do.

Jono078

Referee
It’s
Is it safe to say that Ponga is in the worst form of his career at the moment? Tragic in defence, can't seem to figure out how to break the line, passes all over the place, can't seem to get his head into most games at all. Doesn't look like he knows where to be, and when he's there doesn't know what to do.
It’s weird. I’d say since the captaincy it looks like the result means more to him but it hasn’t always been reflected in some efforts and yeah general play is well down.

if he’s carrying an injury like some have suggested then it was even more dumb to have him play today.

perverse

Referee
Also, is it controversial to say that we were a much better attacking outfit under Brown than O'Brien? Is that a stretch? Felt like our biggest issue under Brown was that you didn't know if we'd show up on any given day - but at least when we showed up - we could score points.

Jono078

Referee
Also, is it controversial to say that we were a much better attacking outfit under Brown than O'Brien? Is that a stretch?
Marginally if anything. I remember blowing up plenty of times under Brown ball. We’ve led the league in most 1 pass hitups this year, it would’ve been double under Brown. He relied on individual magic much more.

Alex28

Coach
Why play our spine and tell the media all week that we're focusing everything on getting our attack right, then? Do you think that worked well?
Probably stop reading so much media. How did you think the attack was going to go behind zero defence?

perverse

Referee
Probably stop reading so much media. How did you think the attack was going to go behind zero defence?
Less about listening to the media, and more about listening to what the coach is saying about the team and their focus for the week. It's not like the media beat it up. I'm just talking direct quotes from the coach.

This isn't a "player x caught in the dunnies with a sheila" - it's O'Brien telling me that they're working on our attack and delivering whatever that was today. It's backed up by the fact that we bothered to name our spine this week.

If what you're saying has any validity, you rest Pearce, Ponga and possibly even Clifford. That's my point. It was woeful coaching. Now those 3 walk into the finals having made absolute clowns out of themselves for 40 minutes.

Jono078

Referee
I don’t understand your posts in this thread at all.

you said the team that ran out today was to see who made the bench next week? Then why play Pearce and Ponga?

what exactly were you expecting from this game without calling everyone here wrist skitters and f**king mopey.

you’ve gone on record saying the team is placed where it should be on the ladder and that should be the expectation.

have some ambition and set high goals for your team. I’m not alive to watch them be middle of the park the rest of my life.

We played some very boring footy under Bennett and even worse with Brown but this is definitely the worst we've ever looked, especially given the calibre of players we have compared to those days. That was the most unconvincing 5 match winning streak in the history of Rugby League.

I would love to see what Brian Smith could do with this roster.

Jono078

Referee
What's the best case scenario next week.
We control the ball and field position, Kurt Mann is abducted by aliens mid-week and we scrape home 16-14 or something
I should add since certain members think I’ve given up on the team, I haven’t. I just would’ve had a far different approach to putting what I believe is the best position for this team to be as successful as I can for next week.

Eels have been at the thick end of the season for a couple years now. They look hardened and ready to have a real solid crack.

hopefillu our boys are rejuvenated and fix some of the issues.

while we we have Ponga out there we are a hope of getting some points.

early prediction though I’d say Eels win by 10.

ryana87

Juniors
Call me crazy, but I actually took a bit of confidence out of AOBs presser

His demeanor was that this match was nothing more than a pre season trial to give some young fellas a go and a win or loss had no bearing.

He sounded very confident about our chances next week.

Either that, or his next job should be a real estate agent or 2nd hand car salesman

perverse

Referee
Call me crazy, but I actually took a bit of confidence out of AOBs presser

His demeanor was that this match was nothing more than a pre season trial to give some young fellas a go and a win or loss had no bearing.

He sounded very confident about our chances next week.

Either that, or his next job should be a real estate agent or 2nd hand car salesman
He's been great at knowing what to say all year, to be honest. It's not until it comes to actions that he seems to fall short.

Latest posts