What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Match Discussion: Round 3 vs Wests Tigers @ McDonald Jones Stadium

Who will win? Round 3: Newcastle v Wests Tigers

• Wests Tigers 1-12

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Wests Tigers 13+

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

mozza91

Coach
Has Shibs ever been a winger before ? By all means say he’s not suited to the high ball, but I don’t think it’s fair to have a go at his efforts.

The players tried. Hoy definitely tried and did some good things that we’ve been asking of him.

Disappointing of course but I can live with this one more than others in the past.
I’m trying to use this line of thinking but just can’t. We lost to the f**king Tigers again. So gross.

Johns Magic

Referee
Yeah it just makes me more accepting of the fact we aren’t a great side. But I think I knew that already.

Silent Knight

First Grade
I’m trying to use this line of thinking but just can’t. We lost to the f**king Tigers again. So gross.

That’s what hurts the most, it’s the Luke Brooks led f*cking Tigers ffs. If we play to our best we put on a cricket score like we did last year.

As I suspected, Dom Young is just not ready for FG yet. Way too soon for him to debut

Shiba, well what more can be said. Awful display

Oh and all this shitting on Hoy stuff is a bit overreactive. We score far less if we have anyone else but Ponga at FB today and his high ball mistake was on his winger, not him

Kids improving

Zoidberg

First Grade
If I had a time machine, I think I would go back to the late 90’s/early 2000’s.
Remember when we were a good team and games we should win, we won. With style.

Silent Knight

First Grade
If I had a time machine, I think I would go back to the late 90’s/early 2000’s.
Remember when we were a good team and games we should win, we won. With style.

That’s when I was living in Newcastle and going to every home game. Joey, Bedsy, BK and Simmo would put on a master class every time.

And that’s why it hurts to see how far the team has regressed since those times. Luke Brooks wouldn’t have even been a first grader during that era.

smugruam

Juniors
We have right now the worst backline in the comp. Granted 4 or 5 of them are out injured but as soon as I saw that backline at 2pm I knew we were in massive trouble.

Pearce 300 games in, only recognised general play kicker got tackled how many times on play 5? 4 maybe 5 times? That is appalling game management.

We turned up like we have so often in last 10 years as massive favorites and went through the motions.

Less said about Shibasaki the better I can’t forsee any situation where he plays first grade for us on anyone again.

Silent Knight

First Grade
Oh and all this shitting on Hoy stuff is a bit overreactive. We score far less if we have anyone else but Ponga at FB today and his high ball mistake was on his winger, not him

Kids improving

First grade fullbacks don't drop bombs.

First grade fullbacks don't let attacking kicks bounce, repeatedly.

First grade fullbacks don't jog back when they're inside their own 10 metre zone.

First grade fullbacks actually show some ability to make a cover tackle when a middle forward breaks the defensive line. Usually around the legs.

First grade fullbacks will generally link up with the outside backs when they get a bit of space instead of just knocking the ball on, with Joey Johns blaming the wind for that first grade fullback dropping the ball.

So please, enlighten me on what exactly it is that makes Tex Hoy a first grade fullback?

And before anyone goes down the line of "I'm picking on the poor widdle local kid", Shibs was our worst on ground and I've already stated before he should pack his bags.

Spot On

Coach
Looks like the trial form is alive and well... and Tara Reid isn't aging so badly hey Druss!

Lol.

Give O'Brien some credit... he got Frizell to pass the ball in R1 (lead to a try assist) and Watson has linked up with a runner 3 times in 3 games for a couple of try assists. That is something he has been totally incapable of doing up to this season.

Brailey has had a huge impact on this side and is our point of attack and organiser. Now we need him to assume the kicking duties and avoid being caught on the fourth tackle each set.

A bad result today but we are capable of beating the Dragons you would think (hope).

First grade fullbacks don't drop bombs.

First grade fullbacks don't let attacking kicks bounce, repeatedly.

First grade fullbacks don't jog back when they're inside their own 10 metre zone.

First grade fullbacks actually show some ability to make a cover tackle when a middle forward breaks the defensive line. Usually around the legs.

First grade fullbacks will generally link up with the outside backs when they get a bit of space instead of just knocking the ball on, with Joey Johns blaming the wind for that first grade fullback dropping the ball.

So please, enlighten me on what exactly it is that makes Tex Hoy a first grade fullback?

And before anyone goes down the line of "I'm picking on the poor widdle local kid", Shibs was our worst on ground and I've already stated before he should pack his bags.
A. Plenty of 1st grade fullbacks do all of those things, good and bad, most with far more experience than Tex and in far better sides. He's a young kid with a step learning curve

B. He's our best fullback behind Ponga who's currently unavailable. Putting anyone else back there means we are in a far worse position.

Calling for his head at this stage in these circumstances is typical Knights fan base overreaction

Looks like the trial form is alive and well... and Tara Reid isn't aging so badly hey Druss!

Lol.

Give O'Brien some credit... he got Frizell to pass the ball in R1 (lead to a try assist) and Watson has linked up with a runner 3 times in 3 games for a couple of try assists. That is something he has been totally incapable of doing up to this season.

Brailey has had a huge impact on this side and is our point of attack and organiser. Now we need him to assume the kicking duties and avoid being caught on the fourth tackle each set.

A bad result today but we are capable of beating the Dragons you would think (hope).
Haha 1 loss doesn't make a bad season champ

Jono078

Referee
B. He's our best fullback behind Ponga who's currently unavailable. Putting anyone else back there means we are in a far worse position.
Think Mann or Watson would have done worse at the back today? (I'm not saying they definitely would, just a questions). Hoy did do some good things, but some crucial things were not up to scratch today - how would you like people to react? He's young and it's ok? I don't like that - that's exactly the mentality we've had for the past 20 years and where has it gotten us?

You think Bellamy says that about Hines or Paps after they had a few games at fullback? He demands much more.

Hoy will be there again next week and I hope he makes continued progress and works on correcting today's mistakes - because you take those out and he's had a fine game otherwise. But after bad performances fans are entitled to vent their frustrations.

What would we do on here otherwise? Each week would be "ah well, hope the kid does better next week". That's a bit boring isn't it?

Latest posts