What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Match Discussion: Round 4 vs Canberra @ McDonald Jones Stadium, New Lambton

Who will win? Round 4: Newcastle v Canberra

• Newcastle Knights 13+

Votes: 1 20.0%
  • Newcastle Knights 1-12

• Draw after Golden Point

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Canberra Raiders 1-12

• Canberra Raiders 13+

Votes: 2 40.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

League Unlimited News

Administrator
Staff member

NRL 2023 - Round 4
Newcastle Knights v Canberra Raiders
McDonald Jones Stadium, New Lambton, New Lambton (TICKETS)
Sunday 26 March 2023

Gates 10:45am / Jersey Flegg U21 (NEW v CAN) 11:05am / NSW Cup (NEW v CAN) 1:35pm / NRL kickoff 4:05pm, broadcast live on Nine Network & 9Now, Fox League & Kayo Sports

NEW2022TEAM.png

1. Lachlan Miller 2. Hymel Hunt 3. Dane Gagai 4. Bradman Best 5. Greg Marzhew 6. Tyson Gamble 7. Jackson Hastings 8. Daniel Saifiti 9. Jayden Brailey 10. Leo Thompson 11. Brodie Jones 12. Lachlan Fitzgibbon 13. Kurt Mann 14. Phoenix Crossland 15. Jack Hetherington 16. Mathew Croker 17. Jack Johns 18. Dylan Lucas 19. Adam Clune 20. Thomas Cant 21. Enari Tuala 22. Tyson Frizell

CAN2023TEAM.png

1. Sebastian Kris 2. James Schiller 3. Matthew Timoko 4. Harley Smith-Shields 5. Albert Hopoate 6. Jack Wighton 7. Jamal Fogarty 8. Josh Papali'i 9. Zac Woolford 10. Joseph Tapine 11. Hudson Young 12. Elliott Whitehead 13. Corey Harawira-Naera 14. Tom Starling 15. Pasami Saulo 16. Corey Horsburgh 17. Emre Guler 18. Matt Frawley 19. Brad Schneider 20. Trey Mooney 21. Semi Valemei 22. Peter Hola

A-REF-BW-2023TEAM.png

Referee: Gerard Sutton
Sideline Officials: Kasey Badger
Video Referee: Grant Atkins

LOWER GRADES:
Newcastle^ v Canberra^ at McDonald Jones, Sun - Flegg 11:05am, NSW Cup 1:35pm​

Last edited:

mozza91

Coach
Brailey back. Frizell a chance I’d imagine same with Johns. No idea about Ponga.

Gonna be hard to compete with their pack but Canberra always have trouble with us so who knows. Just want to see the same effort we’ve got the last 2 weeks and abit of luck would be nice too.

Jono078

Referee
Saulo, Tapine and Starling will have fun in the middle against us.. How sad. Knights of old past coming back to haunt us.

Bonus points if you can guess who gets injured this week.

PhilGould

Bench
Dom Young’s immediate future at Newcastle is set to come under scrutiny amid talk the English winger is fighting to retain his place in the Knights side to play Canberra on Sunday.

Young, who has already announced he will join the Sydney Roosters next season, has had an unhappy start to the year on the wing for the Knights.

He now looks set to pay the price as he struggles to hold onto his spot to play the Raiders at McDonald Jones Stadium.

Former Gold Coast winger Greg Marzhew is believed to be in contention to force his way into the side at Young’s expense.

Jono078

Referee
Perhaps the right move but it shits me because I’ve seen plenty of average games over the last few years and AOB has stuck solid. So this wreaks of purely dropping him because AOB has an excuse. Crossland will retain his spot no doubt.

Yosh

Coach
Maybe trade Young for a really solid wide backrower from the Roosters. We even need a good middle forward. Roosters have plenty!

PhilGould

Bench
Marzhew’s stats through 2 games

Round 2:
18 runs for 192m, 74pcm
1 try
1 line break
5 tackle breaks
4 tackles, 1 ineffective tackle
1 error

Round 3:
19 runs for 236m, 92pcm
1 try
1 try assist
2 line breaks
8 tackle breaks
1 offload
2 tackles
1 error

Burwood

Bench
So this is what it feels like to be able to drop a player, and replace them with someone who’s in form and demanding selection?

When’s the last time that happened?

Apey

Staff member
Perhaps the right move but it shits me because I’ve seen plenty of average games over the last few years and AOB has stuck solid. So this wreaks of purely dropping him because AOB has an excuse. Crossland will retain his spot no doubt.
Yeah... Young deserves to be dropped after that performance but so have countless others throughout AOB's tenure. Players that have hell of a lot less upside than Young, too.

Alex28

Coach
So this is what it feels like to be able to drop a player, and replace them with someone who’s in form and demanding selection?

When’s the last time that happened?
I reckon this is Peter Parr keeping everyone honest.

ryan.a87

Juniors
Marzhew’s stats through 2 games

Round 2:
18 runs for 192m, 74pcm
1 try
1 line break
5 tackle breaks
4 tackles, 1 ineffective tackle
1 error

Round 3:
19 runs for 236m, 92pcm
1 try
1 try assist
2 line breaks
8 tackle breaks
1 offload
2 tackles
1 error
What’s that like vs doms stats?

I know nsw cup vs nrl is apples and oranges, but would be interesting

PhilGould

Bench
Marzhew has him covered across the board though obviously different competition levels. Dom's are still pretty solid for his role, the 7 errors so far (6 vs the Dolphins) is what's done him in.

Spot On

Coach
Marzhew has him covered across the board though obviously different competition levels. Dom's are still pretty solid for his role, the 7 errors so far (6 vs the Dolphins) is what's done him in.
We had a centre miss 10 tackles in 1 game last year.

It does not get any worse than that. That’s record breaking stuff.

Walk up start the next week.

And the form continued.

Week after week after week ….

So, I hope the media reports are correct re Young. A pleasant change and great message to send to the playing group as long as it’s used when needed going forward.

Young should have been demoted after jumping ship.

Last edited:

Knight Tales

Juniors
i hope O’Brien told Young that his performance was not a good look when speculation about his future has been rampant. It also shows that getting Marzhew was an astute recruitment move by the club. Finally we actually have a player who can readily step in seamlessly. Do we dare say that Dom has played his last FG game for the club?