What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Match Discussion: Round 4 vs Melbourne @ AAMI Park, Melbourne

Who will win? Round 4: Melbourne v Wests Tigers

• Melbourne Storm 13+

Votes: 4 50.0%
  • Melbourne Storm 1-12

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Draw after Golden Point

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Wests Tigers 1-12

Votes: 1 12.5%
  • Wests Tigers 13+

Votes: 3 37.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

League Unlimited News

Administrator
Staff member

NRL 2023 - Round 4
Melbourne Storm v Wests Tigers
AAMI Park, Melbourne, Melbourne (TICKETS)
Friday 24 March 2023

Gates 5pm / NRL kickoff 6:00pm, broadcast live on Fox League & Kayo Sports

MEL2022TEAM.png

1. Nick Meaney 2. William Warbrick 3. Reimis Smith 4. Justin Olam 5. Xavier Coates 6. Cameron Munster 7. Jahrome Hughes 8. Tui Kamikamica 9. Harry Grant 10. Christian Welch 11. Trent Loiero 12. Eliesa Katoa 13. Josh King 14. Tyran Wishart 15. Alec MacDonald 16. Tariq Sims 17. Bronson Garlick 18. Tom Eisenhuth 19. Grant Anderson 20. Aaron Pene 21. Sualauvi Faalogo 22. Jonah Pezet

WST2022TEAM.png

1. Adam Doueihi 2. Charlie Staines 3. Brent Naden 4. Asu Kepaoa 5. Junior Tupou 6. Brandon Wakeham 7. Luke Brooks 8. Stefano Utoikamanu 9. Apisai Koroisau 10. David Klemmer 11. Isaiah Papali'i 12. John Bateman 13. Fonua Pole 14. Daine Laurie 15. Alex Twal 16. Shawn Blore 17. Alex Seyfarth 18. Starford To'a 19. Joe Ofahengaue 20. Justin Matamua 21. David Nofoaluma 22. Jake Simpkin

A-REF-Y-2022TEAM.png

Referee: Ben Cummins
Sideline Officials: Matt Noyen, Darian Furner
Video Referee: Grant Atkins

LOWER GRADES:
PNG v Brisbane^ at Port Moresby, Sat - QLD Cup 4pm AEDT
Sunshine Coast^ BYE

Melbourne^ v Wests Tigers^ at Comely Banks, Sat - Flegg 2pm
Western Subs^ v Norths at Lidcombe, Sat - NSW Cup 3pm​

Last edited:

Tiger Ted

Bench
I can’t believe im saying this but I reckon we can win this especially if Wakeman can do for 80 mins what he did yday for us in the 2nd half.

Trollhammaren

Juniors
Hughes is facing a week out which would be a big boost. Storm losing three in a row is unheard of, but they're on a bit of a decline I reckon. Just play for 80 mins. Stop throwing the ball to other team and maybe we'll have a chance.

Ned Kelly

Juniors
Storm on a bad day are heaps better than us on one of our best days.

I agree with Tiger Ted, Wakeham is looking like our best chance for improvement.

Storm having players out, now think of the Newcastle game where their key players were dropping like flies and we still lost, at no time does the WT deserve to be complacent against any side regardless of their predicament, we are the current holders of the wooden spoon and the tripe that has been dished out so far this season suggest we might retain it unless things change.

big hit!

Bench
Hughes is facing a week out which would be a big boost. Storm losing three in a row is unheard of, but they're on a bit of a decline I reckon. Just play for 80 mins. Stop throwing the ball to other team and maybe we'll have a chance.

The issue is, Storm have a young half in Pezet who is streets ahead of any 6 or 7 at Concord right now. Melbourne also troubled GC much more than the Tigers did at Leichhardt a few weeks ago.

With Munster and Hughes signed long-term, Tigers should make a play for Jonah. He will be a star, mark it down! Also can't believe they let Maddon go. I understand Jock's frustration in sitting behind two numpties on the depth chart, but he's got no chance of playing ahead of Reynolds and Mam. He would most likely be starting this week if he stayed at Tigers.

I agree with others, Wakeham has to be 7. Three games, three loses, and no improvement in the attack until Wakeham came on vs Bulldogs. I have my doubts about him as a longer term fix, but the club has no one else!

What I'd like to see named.
1 - Douehi
2 - Staines
3 - Naden
4 - Kepoa
5 - Tupou
6 - Brooks
7 - Wakeham
8 - Utoikamanu
9 - Koroisau
10 - Klemmer
11 - Papali'i
12 - Bateman
13 - Pole

14 - Simpkin
15 - Blore
16 - Twal
17 - Ofahengaue

18 - Matamua
19 - To'a

Let's see what AD can do at FB. I recall he played fairly well there at Souths, and was only let go when they signed Latrell. I was going to put Laurie on the wing, but the back 5 needs to be strong these days. Unless you've got the finishing prowess of an Alex Johnston, there is no room on the wing in the modern-day for under-sized players. I also think Nofa is done.

Whatever way you shake it, it's an awful top 30 at the moment. You have to make do with what you've got.

WA Tiger

Bench
The issue is, Storm have a young half in Pezet who is streets ahead of any 6 or 7 at Concord right now. Melbourne also troubled GC much more than the Tigers did at Leichhardt a few weeks ago.

With Munster and Hughes signed long-term, Tigers should make a play for Jonah. He will be a star, mark it down! Also can't believe they let Maddon go. I understand Jock's frustration in sitting behind two numpties on the depth chart, but he's got no chance of playing ahead of Reynolds and Mam. He would most likely be starting this week if he stayed at Tigers.

I agree with others, Wakeham has to be 7. Three games, three loses, and no improvement in the attack until Wakeham came on vs Bulldogs. I have my doubts about him as a longer term fix, but the club has no one else!

What I'd like to see named.
1 - Douehi
2 - Staines
3 - Naden
4 - Kepoa
5 - Tupou
6 - Brooks
7 - Wakeham
8 - Utoikamanu
9 - Koroisau
10 - Klemmer
11 - Papali'i
12 - Bateman
13 - Pole

14 - Simpkin
15 - Blore
16 - Twal
17 - Ofahengaue

18 - Matamua
19 - To'a

Let's see what AD can do at FB. I recall he played fairly well there at Souths, and was only let go when they signed Latrell. I was going to put Laurie on the wing, but the back 5 needs to be strong these days. Unless you've got the finishing prowess of an Alex Johnston, there is no room on the wing in the modern-day for under-sized players. I also think Nofa is done.

Whatever way you shake it, it's an awful top 30 at the moment. You have to make do with what you've got.
You must have seen Maddon on a good day and AD at Fullback for WT not at all..

Last edited:
That was spot on big hit! for the 13 at least.

Brooks with 7 on his back means nothing as he will just be the left side 1st receiver but hopefully Wakeham is the one who is allowed to go where he & Api see fit.

Moving Kepoa back to his 2nd position will give the team some additional aggression out wider, he certainly has been a surprise in the 2nd row.

Laurie on the bench puts AD on notice,
Joe Ofa & Nofa dropped shows that at least for them, they have to lift their game.

Ned Kelly

Juniors

Brooks with 7 on his back means nothing as he will just be the left side 1st receiver but hopefully Wakeham is the one who is allowed to go where he & Api see fit.

Moving Kepoa back to his 2nd position will give the team some additional aggression out wider, he certainly has been a surprise in the 2nd row.

Joe Ofa & Nofa dropped shows that at least for them, they have to lift their game.
Yep. All good.

I think Laurie is just there as a back up. He can play just about anywhere in the backs. Not brilliantly perhaps but not bad. AD is not there for his skills as full back more as someone to give direction. Hopefully that pays off.

Maybe not a win but definitely a chance of decent improvement.

Tigerm

First Grade

Team List:

1. Adam Doueihi - sponsored by Australian Track Services

2. Charlie Staines - sponsored by Leumeah Shopping Centre

3. Brent Naden - sponsored by Murray Kennedy Real Estate

4. Asu Kepaoa - sponsored by APN Compounding

5. Junior Tupou - sponsored by The Meat Man

6. Brandon Wakeham - sponsored by Club Menangle

7. Luke Brooks - sponsored by Momenta Advisors

8. Stefano Utoikamanu - sponsored by LP Construction

9. Api Koroisau (c) - sponsored by Exclusive Estate Agents

10. David Klemmer - sponsored by Brae Group

11. Isaiah Papali'i - sponsored by Spectrum Pools & Spas

12. John Bateman - sponsored by Kwikflo

13. Fonua Pole - sponsored by Ultra Building Works

Interchange:

14. Daine Laurie - sponsored by AJ Engineering Group

15. Alex Twal - sponsored by Mater Dei on behalf of The Kirk Family

16. Shawn Blore - sponsored by LC Wealth

17. Alex Seyfarth - sponsored by Xpertise Construction

18. Starford To'a - sponsored by Wests Tigers Foundation

19. Joe Ofahengaue - sponsored by Wests Tigers Foundation

20. Justin Matamua - sponsored by Wests Tigers Foundation

21. David Nofoaluma - sponsored by Wests Tigers Foundation

22. Jake Simpkin - sponsored by Wests Tigers Foundation

A good looking forward pack, Stefano just needs to lift a bit more?

Not sure what Brooks has to do to be removed from the 7 jersey?

Of course Munster is returning this week:(

Wizardman

First Grade

Team List:

1. Adam Doueihi - sponsored by Australian Track Services

2. Charlie Staines - sponsored by Leumeah Shopping Centre

3. Brent Naden - sponsored by Murray Kennedy Real Estate

4. Asu Kepaoa - sponsored by APN Compounding

5. Junior Tupou - sponsored by The Meat Man

6. Brandon Wakeham - sponsored by Club Menangle

7. Luke Brooks - sponsored by Momenta Advisors

8. Stefano Utoikamanu - sponsored by LP Construction

9. Api Koroisau (c) - sponsored by Exclusive Estate Agents

10. David Klemmer - sponsored by Brae Group

11. Isaiah Papali'i - sponsored by Spectrum Pools & Spas

12. John Bateman - sponsored by Kwikflo

13. Fonua Pole - sponsored by Ultra Building Works

Interchange:

14. Daine Laurie - sponsored by AJ Engineering Group

15. Alex Twal - sponsored by Mater Dei on behalf of The Kirk Family

16. Shawn Blore - sponsored by LC Wealth

17. Alex Seyfarth - sponsored by Xpertise Construction

18. Starford To'a - sponsored by Wests Tigers Foundation

19. Joe Ofahengaue - sponsored by Wests Tigers Foundation

20. Justin Matamua - sponsored by Wests Tigers Foundation

21. David Nofoaluma - sponsored by Wests Tigers Foundation

22. Jake Simpkin - sponsored by Wests Tigers Foundation

A good looking forward pack, Stefano just needs to lift a bit more?

Not sure what Brooks has to do to be removed from the 7 jersey?

Of course Munster is returning this week:(
I didn't think Sheens would do it....but he has shaken up the side.

On the whole, I think the changes are worth a go.
*Douhei has his limitations at fullback, but I think we need a bigger body than Staines/Laurie there. This has to be a positive for Bula to hit his straps.....an opportunity is there for him to take if he is good enough.
*For the first time in his career, Asu actually impressed me last week. He seems to have put on a LOT of bulk. I hope we don't get a bad drug test from him. Hopefully, he carries it on this week at centre.
*I do think despite the number on their jerseys, Wakeham will play first receiver a lot. LOVE the selection.
*Our second row all of a sudden looks quite imposing.
*Two underperformers in Nofo and Ofa given a kick up the butt. Nofo is a long serving player, Ofa our player of the year last year. That sends a message.

On the selection front, well done Tim. Lets see how it translates to the park.

Munster will be good for 4 tries and assists combined. Hughes will probably get off his charge as well. We look to have a much better pack and bench though.

I also saw Cummins in as ref for the first time this year, just to butt f**k us for old times sake

I didn't think Sheens would do it....but he has shaken up the side.

On the whole, I think the changes are worth a go.
*Douhei has his limitations at fullback, but I think we need a bigger body than Staines/Laurie there. This has to be a positive for Bula to hit his straps.....an opportunity is there for him to take if he is good enough.
*For the first time in his career, Asu actually impressed me last week. He seems to have put on a LOT of bulk. I hope we don't get a bad drug test from him. Hopefully, he carries it on this week at centre.
*I do think despite the number on their jerseys, Wakeham will play first receiver a lot. LOVE the selection.
*Our second row all of a sudden looks quite imposing.
*Two underperformers in Nofo and Ofa given a kick up the butt. Nofo is a long serving player, Ofa our player of the year last year. That sends a message.

On the selection front, well done Tim. Lets see how it translates to the park.

Tim thought Doogie had a good game managing at the back and it’s a key position. There’s still a mistake or two in him. They will go after him.. But he has size, and we could use him up in the line in attack as the extra.

Agree Asu. Much bigger but also surprisingly still mobile.

Wakeham, still early days, but he’d be delighted to get into the starting side.

Second row is very very good now. Finally got there.

Nofo is cactus at the moment, Joe in decline.

From what we know, this side it’s approaching our best.

Munster is a miracle player, we have to contain him. They’ve otherwise had a poor season, they are not the old storm.

Naden is creeping back into some good form. He’s building slowly but steadily.

I still want to see the effort and if Tim wants to fiddle with the side during the game, I’d just ask the changes arrive earlier.

His selections and changes during the pounding going on last weekend bore fruit. It worked.

big hit!

Bench

Those guys out of the 18 aren't playing Cup either. Most likely travel on Friday, but send anyone who doesn't play back to Sydney early and make them play Cup. They won't play any games.

Latest posts