What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Match Discussion: Round 4 vs St Geo Illa @ McDonald Jones Stadium

Who will win? Round 4: Newcastle v St Geo Illa

• Newcastle Knights 1-12

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Draw after Golden Point

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

League Unlimited News

Administrator
Staff member

NRL 2021 - Round 4
Newcastle Knights v St George Illawarra Dragons
McDonald Jones Stadium, New Lambton (TICKETS)
Sunday 4 April 2021

NSW Cup 1:30pm -- NRL kickoff 4:05pm

NEWCASTLE-2021.png

1. Tex Hoy 2. Starford To'a 3. Enari Tuala 4. Gehamat Shibasaki 5. Hymel Hunt 6. Kurt Mann 7. Mitchell Pearce 8. David Klemmer 9. Jayden Brailey 10. Daniel Saifiti 11. Tyson Frizell 12. Mitchell Barnett 13. Connor Watson
Interchange: 14. Sauaso Sue 15. Jacob Saifiti 16. Josh King 17. Blake Green 18. Brodie Jones 19. Dominic Young 20. Simi Sasagi 21. Pasami Saulo

STGEOILLA-2021.png

1. Matthew Dufty 2. Cody Ramsey 3. Brayden Wiliame 4. Zac Lomax 5. Mikaele Ravalawa 6. Corey Norman 7. Adam Clune 8. Blake Lawrie 9. Andrew McCullough 10. Paul Vaughan 11. Josh Kerr 12. Tariq Sims 13. Tyrell Fuimaono
Interchange: 14. Poasa Faamausili 15. Trent Merrin 16. Daniel Alvaro 17. Jackson Ford 18. Kaide Ellis 19. Jordan Pereira 20. Max Feagai 21. Eddie Blacker

9haLtxR.jpg

Referees: Peter Gough
Sideline Officials: Phil Henderson, Rickey McFarlane
Video Referees: Steve Chiddy

NSW Cup match as a curtain raiser - 1:30pm Knights v Dragons at McDonald Jones​

Last edited by a moderator:

Jono078

Referee
Somewhat important game. You would definitely rather be 3-1 than 2-2.

Dragons have built some confidence whereas we had all the hype for the occasion last week, so there is a fear of being flat for this game - once again, it's usually how the story goes.

Hoping we win and we don't shoot ourselves in the foot again.

To'a and Lee possibilities of returning? Kalyn an outside chance if doctor clears him today?

Saulo probably gets his first game this week too in place fo JSaifiti.

Curious to see who OBrien keeps out of Shib and Young.

slotmachine

First Grade
Just cramp they said in the presser.

Dragons have been pretty decent with ben hunt in good form. Looks like he and Jack bird are out injured and suspended though.

Burwood

Bench
They have a forward pack that can match ours, so it’s up to our halves and backs to give us an edge. No Hunt and Bird will be a positive.

Does Brodie Jones get named on the bench, but not given any minutes for 3 consecutive weeks?

slotmachine

First Grade
Probably. He's only there as injury cover for Barnett and Friz, or the centres at a pinch. And they are better in the 79th minute than Jones is fresh.

Jono078

Referee
St George paying $3.00 in the odds at the moment, I chucked a $20 on them just in case we derp it again.
I'll call it now - there's a super big chance we'll be flat in this one after the huge build-up and let down of yesterday.

Them missing Hunt and Bird is huge though.

Jono078

Referee
I was just thinking.. If OBI isn't going to use Jones off the bench, wouldn't we be better off with someone like Johns who is a bit more versatile?

slotmachine

First Grade
jones or johns, you're not taking off friz or barnett (who have been 2 of our 5 best players) to give minutes to a reserve grader. unless they are injured, badly.

Jono078

Referee
Well that’s my point. If jones is just there as injury cover then you think you’d go Johns instead as he can cover more positions.

slotmachine

First Grade
Titans and Panthers are probably the two best.

I think we're in the next tier with Storm and Roosters if Cordner is ever fit again

Well that’s my point. If jones is just there as injury cover then you think you’d go Johns instead as he can cover more positions.

Johns might get picked this week just so Jones can play NSW Cup for fitness. He's had 10 minutes all season.

Yosh

Coach
When Fitzgibbon comes back, does he slot into the bench role and just sits as injury cover?

slotmachine

First Grade
Fitz might play a bit of middle too. But with how good our pack is going he shouldn't expect any handouts in terms of playing time.

K-Man

Bench
I'd say it's far more likely that Barnett spends time in the middle and Fitzgibbon on the left. Whether that's from the start with Sue dropping to the bench, or during the game with Fitz coming off the bench to have an impact in a way Jones isn't getting the chance to. Barnett might have even started the season at 13 if everyone was fit. Either way Jones would be the fall guy from the squad, but injuries will likely mean we never get to find out.

Burwood

Bench
Barnett has been going great, but we still miss that explosiveness in the backrow that the other top clubs have. If you look at what he has done in attack, it hasn’t been too dissimilar to the role Fitz has played the last 2 or so years- the short ball from Pearce close to the line. He does have bit of a nicer offload though.

Full strength, I think I’d like to see:
11. Frizell
12. Fitz
13. Barnett
14. Watson
15. JSaf
16. Sue
17. King

Sue on the bench will allow him to play short stints when the starting props are off and hopefully a bit more impact in attack. Barnett/Watson are able to cover an injury in the backrow, and King used in the front row if needed. It’s a bit sad that we don’t really have a single forward outside the top 17 who can come on and provide an impact off the bench.

Latest posts