What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Match Discussion: Round 5 vs Manly @ Glen Willow Regional Stadium, Mudgee

Who will win? Round 5: Manly v Newcastle

• Manly-Warringah Sea Eagles 13+

Votes: 2 66.7%
  • Manly-Warringah Sea Eagles 1-12

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Draw after Golden Point

• Newcastle Knights 1-12

• Newcastle Knights 13+

Votes: 1 33.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Yosh

Coach
I think in previous seasons, Ponga was trying to make a line break or get a line break assist every time he touched the ball. It looked like he felt as if he had to make something happen every touch. Hopefully that isn't the case now and he can insert himself when it is needed and most of the time just get ball to where it needs to go first.

Just another note, how good was Brailey this game. His defense and effort is always top notch but his attack today was outstanding. Made excellent decisions out of dummy half every single time. He was running the ball more than ever and was making 15 metres each run. He was also using the hooker head fake and going the other direction and opening up the ruck for us all 90 minutes. I hope he stays fit and builds on yesterday's game because he has never looked so dangerous.

Woosh

Head Moderator
Just another note, how good was Brailey this game. His defense and effort is always top notch but his attack today was outstanding. Made excellent decisions out of dummy half every single time. He was running the ball more than ever and was making 15 metres each run. He was also using the hooker head fake and going the other direction and opening up the ruck for us all 90 minutes. I hope he stays fit and builds on yesterday's game because he has never looked so dangerous.

Depleted middles has been a blessing in disguise.
It forced O’Brien’s hand to play to Newcastle’s strength which is their back 5.
It allows Brailey to jump out of dummy half off quick play the balls.
Who is this old man with the quickest play the ball speeds?

Miller 27 runs 282 metres 3.12s avg play the ball speed
Marzhew 23 runs 234 metres 2.94s avg play the ball speed
Gagai 18 runs 214 metres 2.43s avg play the ball speed
Best 21 runs 177 metres 3.10s avg play the ball speed
Young 18 runs 227 metres 3.06s avg play the ball speed

Zoidberg

First Grade
I didn’t get to see much of the game.
Did we have any decent shots at field goal in golden point?

Yosh

Coach
I didn’t get to see much of the game.
Did we have any decent shots at field goal in golden point?
Not really but we didn't derp it. Both sides were defending hard and well and even DCE couldn't get a good shot off either.

Woosh

Head Moderator
Tyson Frizell was immense too.

Caught up with Frizell at Dane’s bbq in the preseason.
To paraphrase he thought Klemmer had a bit too much say on how Newcastle played.
Cody also met up with Parr about coming to Newcastle before he extended at Souths.

C39A0827-69F1-4D57-B11D-A02315283460.jpeg

HarVeeGee

Juniors
Cody’s one of my favourite players to watch as a neutral but I’m glad that didn’t happen tbh. He’s a bit old and not really a halfback.

The plan should be to try to turn KP into an even better version of Cody Walker.

mozza91

Coach
Walker has a very unique skillset and would be a huge asset in some areas but as mentioned is getting abit long in the tooth and has a short fuse that would be punished alot more playing for a non glamour club.