What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Match Discussion: Round 6 vs Storm @ AAMI Park

Who will win? Round 6: Storm v Knights

• Draw after Golden Point

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Newcastle Knights 13+

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Noname36

First Grade
Also look at the Broncos game last week as a prime example.

For most of that game we had equal or slightly less possession than the Broncos but were were tackling very hard, playing with a lot of aggression and kept them to nil for most of the game.

It wasn't until the later part of the game when the Broncos got a big run of possession through those SKD errors and some penalties that the Broncos started scoring any points. It wasn't that they suddenly couldn't defend like they were earlier in the game - it was because they were fatigued from the run of possession Brisbane had.

Spot On

Coach
No Name

The Broncs are utter trash atm and were last week.

Milford had us on the rack but his finishing was pathetic.

Yeah sure we are ill disciplined at times, as are many sides, but our defensive structure and technique is for the most part .... awful. That is our main issue/problem.

We are better at home as per results have shown and that is great. But we are only just getting the win at home. We are far from impressive. The teams we have beaten have won 5 of 15 games combined at end of R5. Hardly a good formline.

If our defence can't get us out of trouble then we deserve to be beaten.

Errors and penalties were not a blow out for either side last night. The home team got a few gifts along the way but we get those at home too.

Surely you don't believe we've dominated the ruck in any way during the games we've played this season? Not last night? I can't blame that on ill discipline nor should the coach. I blame it on what is obvious - our shit defence.

Last edited:

Old dog

Juniors
This year we haven't got the depth, no pressure for positions, some of our forwards need a good kick up the rear, need reserves performing better which actually means we need 4-5 new players of high quality including big hard props, that in turn means that reserves get 4-5 players dropping back therefor improving them and our overall strength.

macavity

Referee
4 to 6 more buys hopefully.

That is hard - you don’t generally get huge roster churn two years in a row.

We have Ramien, desperate for two big angry props.

Even with the try last night I am mystified as to why we would be interested in Glasby. More of the same.

Noname36

First Grade
No Name

The Broncs are utter trash atm and were last week.

Milford had us on the rack but his finishing was pathetic.

Yeah sure we are ill disciplined at times, as are many sides, but our defensive structure and technique is for the most part .... awful. That is our main issue/problem.

We are better at home as per results have shown and that is great. But we are only just getting the win at home. We are far from impressive. The teams we have beaten have won 5 of 15 games combined at end of R5. Hardly a good formline.

If our defence can't get us out of trouble then we deserve to be beaten.

Errors and penalties were not a blow out for either side last night. The home team got a few gifts along the way but we get those at home too.

Surely you don't believe we've dominated the ruck in any way during the games we've played this season? Not last night? I can't blame that on ill discipline nor should the coach. I blame it on what is obvious - our shit defence.

I think I'm going to have to agree to disagree with you on most of your post but the highlighted bit in particular I really don't understand.

Mate, they had 80% possession for a very long time early in the game. Possession always evens out during the game making it look like it was more even but no side comes back from that (unless of course the opposition completely capitulated but this was Melbourne), the fatigue was always going to get them later in the game...made even worse when we had a bloke sinbinned. That's why we saw blokes that are usually good defenders making poor misses. To me that's "what is obvious" but let's agree to disagree.

Spot On

Coach
That is hard - you don’t generally get huge roster churn two years in a row.

We have Ramien, desperate for two big angry props.

Even with the try last night I am mystified as to why we would be interested in Glasby. More of the same.

I'm including Ramien and assuming we replace Heighno and Lillyman in the 4 to 6 more buys Mac.

Last edited:

Spot On

Coach
I think I'm going to have to agree to disagree with you on most of your post but the highlighted bit in particular I really don't understand.

Mate, they had 80% possession for a very long time early in the game. Possession always evens out during the game making it look like it was more even but no side comes back from that (unless of course the opposition completely capitulated but this was Melbourne), the fatigue was always going to get them later in the game...made even worse when we had a bloke sinbinned. That's why we saw blokes that are usually good defenders making poor misses. To me that's "what is obvious" but let's agree to disagree.

No worries.

I have been banging on about what I consider piss poor defense from R3 on.

I understand the importance of possession but do not subscribe that our problems in defence are because of it. To me, we our defensive issues are bleeding obvious, before fatigue has any effect.

Mate, they had 80% possession for a very long time early in the game. Possession always evens out during the game making it look like it was more even but no side comes back from that (unless of course the opposition completely capitulated but this was Melbourne)
Totally agree.
Stats will show possession, and penalties a bit closer but when you get burnt like that early on it's way difficult to come back.
How did we give away so many penalties early on? Poor discipline yes but I reckon there was bias there. Damn Melbourne always lay on players and are consistently offside so it's normal for them.

Old dog

Juniors
We hang on to the ball in that first few minutes, attacking there line, grubber kick and they struggle out of own end, we are on top, hand ball over, try, kick off, try, game gone.
That was the ball game.

Spot On

Coach
Defend and stop the try, you get the ball back.

Defence can win you games - see the Wests Tigers 2018.

Noname36

First Grade
Defend and stop the try, you get the ball back.

Defence can win you games - see the Wests Tigers 2018.

I really don’t want to keep arguing with you about this but you’ve actually just proved my point using the Tigers example. They controlled possession against Manly yesterday brilliantly and had 80% of the ball for a lot of the first half and were up 24-0 at the break. Surely you don’t think it’s a coincidence that the side on the back end of no possession became fatigued, started missing a lot of tackles, and the score line blew out?

Spot On

Coach
No I don't and have said so already but it is definitely not the only factor No Name.

The Tigers have the best defence in the comp atm and are winning games because of it.

Happy to disagree.

Last edited:

Spot On

Coach
https://www.newcastleknights.com.au/news/2018/04/18/coachs-say-round-72/

Here you go No Name.

Brown saying the Tiger's defence is very aggressive, continually pressuring their opposition with their defence, taking a lot of time off their opposition attack and opposition completion rates with their good ball attack has been low due to the Tigers defence being very aggressive and keen. They are forcing the issue and forcing the errors with their defence.

Exactly what we are not doing and haven't done pretty much the past month.