What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Match Discussion: Round 7 vs Penrith @ McDonald Jones Stadium, New Lambton / Awabakal

Who will win? Round 7: Newcastle v Penrith

• Newcastle Knights 13+

Votes: 2 40.0%
  • Newcastle Knights 1-12

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Draw after Golden Point

• Penrith Panthers 1-12

• Penrith Panthers 13+

Votes: 3 60.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Yosh

Coach
What I found most alarming was that our attack in the second half pretty much devolved back to what we had gotten used to the last 2-3 years. We played the entire half trying to attack straight through the middle and the panthers found it easy to number up and limit our metres.

I thought it was more due to the dropped balls in play 1 or 2. We kept giving back possession and was either gassed when it was time to attack or we dropped the ball play 1 or 2. Probably was trying to hold possession and complete a set or two in a row before going back to expansive attacking footy.

mozza91

Coach
I just want to add; we can complain about certain situations not being fair, but at the end of the game the champions stood up.

Cleary nailed not 1, but 2 relatively long distance field goals to take the game to extra time and then to win it. The Panthers’ set to start extra time was incredible. We didn’t have the energy to match them and keep them out of range.

So kudos to the Panthers, they showed championship qualities to hang in there and get it done at the end.
Absolutely. They iced the game because they know how to win and are a great team. We shit the bed in the 2nd half.

Doesn’t change the fact that their 2 tries came off the back of incorrect decisions.

Yosh

Coach
Personally I'm not a single bit bitter about the result. Very proud and happy about how we stayed in the fight for 80 minutes against a lot of adversity.

Also, loved the crowd. I don't remember a Newie crowd being that vocal in at least a decade. Loved the boos and chants, really added to the experience watching from home!

mozza91

Coach
Personally I'm not a single bit bitter about the result. Very proud and happy about how we stayed in the fight for 80 minutes against a lot of adversity.

Also, loved the crowd. I don't remember a Newie crowd being that vocal in at least a decade. Loved the boos and chants, really added to the experience watching from home!
The chant at the end of the game was fantastic. I think most of them will be back after he effort they saw.

Woody90

Juniors
Hey Guys, first post here. Been a Knights supporter for a long time and I've obviously been really impressed with how we've started the season.

Was quite gutted by the loss last night in that nature. I'm not going to try and pick it apart too much as at the end of the day we were beaten on goal kicking (and Cleary's experience in tight games). The multitude of errors to start the second half were obviously disappointing, but I think they were reflective of fatigue due to all the effort from the first half. They had Penrith absolutely rattled and probably gave the rest of the comp a blueprint to beating them...we just need to keep developing to be able to keep it up for the whole game.

As gutted as I was by the loss, I actually think we probably gained more from losing that game than if we had won it, as crazy as that might sound. I remember at times over recent seasons we'd be showing good effort and were building but after beating some of the top teams in consecutive weeks their effort and commitment dropped off and so did the performances (reading their own press a bit maybe). They'd suddenly get a lot of praise if they had beaten Penrith where now I'm happy with everyone continuing to think we're a shit side. Keeps the team hungry.

I'm absolutely loving Hastings and Gamble. Not sure what it is but I think they were born to play together. Hastings might not be the best halfback in the game, but he's perfect for us. He's a real competitor and is organising the rest of the team well. I think he really compliments Ponga's weaknesses. He's really gotten behind the club and the fans.

Speaking of Ponga, I think we might have some teething problems when he first comes back. I certainly don't subscribe to the view that we're better without him though. Hoping now that we've shown that we can attack without him we'll keep playing the same style as we have been and Ponga can just chime in when something's on and be the icing on the cake. I think bringing him back in will be a bit of "short term pain for long-term gain" as someone else put it.

Just as an aside, did anyone catch how much Michael Ennis was death riding us in the commentary box last night?You would have thought that the Knights weren't even fit to play in the same game as Penrith and Cleary were by the way he was carrying on, where in reality it was a really even game.

Apey

Staff member
Hey Guys, first post here. Been a Knights supporter for a long time and I've obviously been really impressed with how we've started the season.

Was quite gutted by the loss last night in that nature. I'm not going to try and pick it apart too much as at the end of the day we were beaten on goal kicking (and Cleary's experience in tight games). The multitude of errors to start the second half were obviously disappointing, but I think they were reflective of fatigue due to all the effort from the first half. They had Penrith absolutely rattled and probably gave the rest of the comp a blueprint to beating them...we just need to keep developing to be able to keep it up for the whole game.

As gutted as I was by the loss, I actually think we probably gained more from losing that game than if we had won it, as crazy as that might sound. I remember at times over recent seasons we'd be showing good effort and were building but after beating some of the top teams in consecutive weeks their effort and commitment dropped off and so did the performances (reading their own press a bit maybe). They'd suddenly get a lot of praise if they had beaten Penrith where now I'm happy with everyone continuing to think we're a shit side. Keeps the team hungry.

I'm absolutely loving Hastings and Gamble. Not sure what it is but I think they were born to play together. Hastings might not be the best halfback in the game, but he's perfect for us. He's a real competitor and is organising the rest of the team well. I think he really compliments Ponga's weaknesses. He's really gotten behind the club and the fans.

Speaking of Ponga, I think we might have some teething problems when he first comes back. I certainly don't subscribe to the view that we're better without him though. Hoping now that we've shown that we can attack without him we'll keep playing the same style as we have been and Ponga can just chime in when something's on and be the icing on the cake. I think bringing him back in will be a bit of "short term pain for long-term gain" as someone else put it.

Just as an aside, did anyone catch how much Michael Ennis was death riding us in the commentary box last night?You would have thought that the Knights weren't even fit to play in the same game as Penrith and Cleary were by the way he was carrying on, where in reality it was a really even game.
Fox Sports really don't give a shit about 'little' clubs, they don't get ratings.

Rod

Bench
While we certainly got some weird calls against us (particularly the Gagai and Luai penalties), I'm also pretty sure the refs called Hastings out of the chase on the field goal Cleary fluffed, and Hastings just kept running and they ignored it.

SamSepi0l

Juniors
Ennis was having trouble getting his words out as he deep throated Cleary all game. You'd think not a single other player stepped on the field.