What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Match Discussion: Round 8 vs St Geo Illa @ WIN Stadium, Wollongong

Who will win? Round 8: St Geo Illa v Wests Tigers

• St George Illawarra Dragons 13+

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • St George Illawarra Dragons 1-12

Votes: 4 36.4%
  • Draw after Golden Point

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Wests Tigers 1-12

Votes: 5 45.5%
  • Wests Tigers 13+

Votes: 2 18.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Speedy Gonzales

Juniors
Also as a player and captain on the field feeling and reading the game id be absolutely embarrassed an filthy to be overruled from above .. particularly with the club wanking on about leadership and owning the team .. this imo could be a bit of a relationship buster.. Im sure Hastings has heard the stories.. now he gets to live it..
100% agree mate

Game was going nowhere at that stage...a free 2 points up for grabs in a tight affair, reset and focus on the next set.

Phil Gould

Juniors
Madge must have felt like a tragic on the pokies knocking back those penalties, “ Don’t collect, there’s a try coming, I can feel it”.

Those repeat sets on the line is where staints beat the tigers for me, they defended well there, they seemed to defend better as the game wore on.

Gildart made a good tackle on Sims when he looked to be through and he also made a couple of good runs from dummy half but he gave away more than he contributed.

I was swearing at the Telly by the end but for some reason I still feel better than I did three weeks ago.

It defies belief that a team that has trouble scoring points refuses to take the gift of two points from a penalty, unfortunately on several occasions.
I can not fault the effort today just the execution, stupidity aside, the lack of attacking ability out wide is clearly evident, Garner is a fill in and while he defends well his attack is limited, the Pom is not first grade let alone NSW Cup.

WA Tiger

Bench
Tamau stood with his hands free ready to pass in the tackle forever.. Liddle and the rest wernt ready or even looking for it..If what looks like a tackled ball is passed, again noones ready for it so it’s going to be fumbled,noones anticipating those opportunities despite the fact they win games. Instead the backs are automatically blindly getting in position for the next play..

Did Liddle think Tamau had eyes in the back of his head early in the game running from behind to be in the perfect position to take the ball .. that was a missed try when we needed it.

That’s attitude imo ..no excuse for lack of confidence today

Last edited:

Tigers1986

Juniors
I want to like Liddle but I think he's just not a long-term first grade option. I rate Simpkin higher and next year we've got Korisau coming in which is going to be amazing (hopefully).

Luciano is playing his arse off for us which is commendable and I'm shattered we lost him (thanks to imbecilic recruitment). Papali'i is a good egg but man, imagine both he and Luch in our middle?

WA Tiger

Bench
If Luch ran at the line as hard as Nofo always does with no self preservation a guy much smaller than the forwards, and at the opposition forwards we’d do better..(Nofo paid for it tonight) I couldn’t fault the forwards tonight but that’s just me about Luch. I never liked his little jiggle he does before the tackle…he does it all the time coz he gets an offload sometimes..and it’s less risk of getting hurt.. not like nofo. That doesn’t enter his mind..I may be wrong but I won’t miss him as much as you lot

Last edited:

macnaz

Staff member
Must be quite frustrating as a forward, putting in effort like that and have your hooker and backline standing around with their fingers in their arse waiting for the next play.
Never mind Liddle wont be here next year. We can watch him play with a better team unfortunately

gordsy

Juniors
As long as Liddle doesn't play better and our hookers do I'm not too fussed. You can say idiotic recruitment re Luch but he was playing shit last year when the decision re his future was made.

WA Tiger

Bench
Also as a player and captain on the field feeling and reading the game id be absolutely embarrassed an filthy to be overruled from above .. particularly with the club wanking on about leadership and owning the team .. this imo could be a bit of a relationship buster.. Im sure Hastings has heard the stories.. now he gets to live it..
Hastings should have overruled Madge back.. now that would set things straight. Esp if we won from it..

All Of our starting forwards have been great the last couple of weeks, Tamou has been really putting in and he looks good. The only I don’t really rate is Tuilagi, yeah he looks dangerous when he has the ball but he just doesn’t do enough in my opinion, he did spend a bit of time off the park today though so I’ll cut him a break off that. Twal was awesome, Mikaele is looking big, he has really beefed up and was pretty good when he came on. I don’t think we can keep running Madden off the bench. Anybody no how far away Talau is. Talau and Douehi will add a bit to our squad
Douehi yes, but don't think Talau is the answer. He's definitely an improvement on the imposter that played 4 yesterday, but we need a strike centre.

Wizardman

First Grade
Im not going to toss the toys out of the pram after that loss.

1. Our forward pack was effective again yesterday....in attack and defence. They definitely did enough for us to win that football game.
2. The come down: Playing against a lesser side (who is defending very well at the moment) was always going to have a comedown effect. We lost but were not outclassed in any way, shape or form.
3. Our hooker, inexperienced fullback (who I think could get better with time there) and centers played a massive part in our loss today. Unfortunately, Liddle, Toa and Garner are there out of absolute necessity and I don't blame the coach there. Gildart on the other hand....I think we need to make a change there. Defensively, he is not upto it. Mb Kepaora with a game under his belt might be a better option there.
4. Our defence was NRL standard. We played for 80 minutes and did not drop our bundle. I'd rather that nature of loss than some of Newcastle's losses recently.

Obviously disappointing to lose that one.....we can put that in the "what if" column of losses. But, Im not devestated by it....we showed some toughness again yesterday.

Maxxn99

Juniors
Tough game. But I suspect Hastings is a winner and wants to win every game. The big question is can others go with him. If they do we will win.
100% correct here… even though we have a lot out injured, Madge in my mind stuffed it up. The centre pairing alone was enough for me.
To be fair 3 players went with Jackson:- Tamou, Ofhengaue and Brooks. Musgrove Twal and our second rowers not far behind. All 17 had a dig, but at the end of the day I’SNT GOOD enough!

Phil Gould

Juniors
Im not going to toss the toys out of the pram after that loss.

1. Our forward pack was effective again yesterday....in attack and defence. They definitely did enough for us to win that football game.
2. The come down: Playing against a lesser side (who is defending very well at the moment) was always going to have a comedown effect. We lost but were not outclassed in any way, shape or form.
3. Our hooker, inexperienced fullback (who I think could get better with time there) and centers played a massive part in our loss today. Unfortunately, Liddle, Toa and Garner are there out of absolute necessity and I don't blame the coach there. Gildart on the other hand....I think we need to make a change there. Defensively, he is not upto it. Mb Kepaora with a game under his belt might be a better option there.
4. Our defence was NRL standard. We played for 80 minutes and did not drop our bundle. I'd rather that nature of loss than some of Newcastle's losses recently.

Obviously disappointing to lose that one.....we can put that in the "what if" column of losses. But, Im not devestated by it....we showed some toughness again yesterday.
I agree. I think If Laurie had played, Toa plays 4 then tigers would have won. Even if Kenny had been able to play, with Asu, it’s likely feild goal territory again.

Magpies Forever

Juniors
Hastings should have overruled Madge back.. now that would set things straight. Esp if we won from it..
Yes, these instances are aspects of Maguire's game management as coach that worry. His bench selections and usage has been questionable / bad for a long time, he got his fingers burnt a fortnight or so ago when we took gaol rather than go for try. Now in this instance he gets worried and doesnt let the on field captain make the call- as has been said the on field captain should have a feel for how the game is going. Not good.

I was disappointed losing but I'm hard pressed to fault the effort. Aside from a couple of defensive lapses (where saints got their tries) they worked really well as a unit. And hard. The forwards were great hitting the ball up. Musgrave had his best game that I can remember.

We did look pedestrian in attack though. We really need to be putting any attacking plays on about 30m and more from the try line because once we get down there we have nothing. In some instances I think saints were letting us get down there knowing it would be easier to defend.

At best, we don't have many players to choose from. Yesterday was even worse with injuries so I'm happy with the effort we put in. I don't expect miracles from the roster we currently have. But.......

1. Maguire needs to let Hastings make whatever decision he feels in best. He understands the flow of the game much better than the coach who is miles away in the box.

2. I'm sure it wouldn't be hard to get a stat on Nofo's career run metres. I'd also like to get a stat on the amount of metres he's run sideways for no gain or a loss. If it's not twice as many I'm a bad judge.

WA Tiger

Bench
Yes, these instances are aspects of Maguire's game management as coach that worry. His bench selections and usage has been questionable / bad for a long time, he got his fingers burnt a fortnight or so ago when we took gaol rather than go for try. Now in this instance he gets worried and doesnt let the on field captain make the call- as has been said the on field captain should have a feel for how the game is going. Not good.
It’s a perfect storm at WT..The coach has difficulty knowing when to pick and drop players. The suits have the same problem with coaches.

BrotherJim05

Bench
Our outside backs were the reason we lost. To'a is a way better Centre than Fullback. Gildart needs a long stint in reserves and Kepoa has never been a good winger (and only just came back from injury). Garner defended well but doesn't offer anything in attack at centre.

Once Laurie and Malo are back:
1. Laurie
2. Nofa
3. To'a
4. Kepoa
5. Malo

We would have won that game with that backline.