What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Match Discussion: Round 9 vs Parramatta @ CommBank Stadium, Parramatta / Burramattagal

Who will win? Round 9: Parramatta v Newcastle

• Parramatta Eels 13+

Votes: 2 40.0%
  • Parramatta Eels 1-12

Votes: 1 20.0%
  • Draw after Golden Point

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Newcastle Knights 1-12

• Newcastle Knights 13+

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

League Unlimited News

Administrator
Staff member

NRL 2023 - Round 9
Parramatta Eels v Newcastle Knights
CommBank Stadium, Parramatta / Burramattagal, Parramatta (TICKETS)
Friday 28 April 2023

NRL kicks off at 6pm. Broadcast live on Fox League and Kayo Sports.

PAR2022TEAM.png

1. Clinton Gutherson 2. Maika Sivo 3. Viliami Penisini 4. Sean Russell 5. Haze Dunster 6. Dylan Brown 7. Mitchell Moses 8. Wiremu Greig 9. Josh Hodgson 10. Junior Paulo 11. Shaun Lane 12. Ryan Matterson 13. J'maine Hopgood 14. Bryce Cartwright 15. Brendan Hands 16. Matt Doorey 17. Makahesi Makatoa 18. Jakob Arthur 19. Jack Murchie 20. Ofahiki Ogden 21. Daejarn Asi 22. Isaac Lumelume

Out: Bailey Simonsson (centre), Reagan Campbell-Gillard (front row)
In: Haze Dunster (wing), Makahesi Makatoa (bench)
Changes: Sean Russell (wing to centre), Bryce Cartwright (second row to bench), Ryan Matterson (lock to second row), J'maine Hopgood (bench to lock), Wiremu Greig (bench to front row

NEW2022TEAM.png

1. Lachlan Miller 2. Dominic Young 3. Dane Gagai 4. Bradman Best 5. Greg Marzhew 6. Kalyn Ponga 7. Jackson Hastings 8. Daniel Saifiti 9. Phoenix Crossland 10. Leo Thompson 11. Tyson Frizell 12. Lachlan Fitzgibbon 13. Kurt Mann 14. Tyson Gamble 15. Jacob Saifiti 16. Mathew Croker 17. Jack Hetherington 18. Simi Sasagi 19. Hymel Hunt 20. Jack Johns 21. Dylan Lucas 22. Adam Clune

Changes: Tyson Gamble (five-eighth to bench), Kalyn Ponga (bench to five-eighth)

A-REF-R-2022TEAM.png

Referee: Chris Sutton
Sideline Officials: Drew Oultram, Matt Noyen
Video Referee: Chris Butler

LOWER GRADES
Parramatta^ v Newcastle^ at Kellyville, Sat - NSW Cup 1pm / Flegg 3pm​

Last edited:

Old dog

Juniors
Bit concerned that Ponga might need another game to be fully ready meaning we might need Gamble in 17 as well as Mann and Crosslands leaving us with just 2 fwds on bench

Jono078

Referee
Our seasons have kind of mirrored each other, however the Eels have no doubt had the tougher schedule.

They've only won 3 games yet have a positive for and against.

I'm positive if we can take them to deep waters but we really need to improve our discipline.

PhilGould

Bench
1. Lachie Miller
2. Dom Young
3. Dane Gagai
4. Bradman Best
5. Greg Marzhew
6. Kalyn Ponga (C)
7. Jackson Hastings
8. Daniel Saifiti
9. Phoenix Crossland
10. Leo Thompson
11. Tyson Frizell (C)
12. Lachlan Fitzgibbon
13. Kurt Mann

14. Tyson Gamble
15. Jacob Saifiti
16. Mat Croker
17. Jack Hetherington

18. Simi Sasagi
19. Hymel Hunt
20. Jack Johns
21. Dylan Lucas
22. Adam Clune

Old dog

Juniors
Croker to 13, Mann to 9, Crosslands to 14, Gamble to 18, Johns 16.
Ponga, Mann & Crosslands to share 6 & 9 during game

Old dog

Juniors
I think if a forward gets injured we would prefer a like for like, I like Gamble and what he brings just don’t like having Mann, Crosslands and him in 17 any two is ok but we have needs other than he gives

Yosh

Coach
It's been a while since we named the same team two weeks in a row. Usually we get 1 or 2 injuries at least and have to mix it around!

Burwood

Bench
And to think I laughed in the pre-season when AOB said that he’d try to fit Mann, Crossland and Gamble into the top 17 somehow. At least it’s only because of injury that all 3 find their way into the side.

I think if a forward gets injured we would prefer a like for like, I like Gamble and what he brings just don’t like having Mann, Crosslands and him in 17 any two is ok but we have needs other than he gives
Thats my point. I dont think Johns is a "like for like" swap with any of our current forwards. Hes basically a less dangerous Gamble

No reason why Tyson cant play in the backrow

Woody90

Juniors
I don't have a good feeling about this game at all, but if we can complete at more than 69% and improve our line speed we can't be as bad as last week. We've looked completely gassed though since the second half of the Penrith game which worries me as fatigue won't make completions or line speed better. We need our bye.

Agree that there's no reason to choose Johns over Gamble. I don't like the idea of carrying Mann, Crossland and Gamble over a big body but if the alternative is Johns then I'm happy for Gamble to stay in the side. He's not significantly bigger or more effective and made some terrible errors against Penrith. One of the 3 will definitely need to go when Elliot is back though. We really need some size on the bench, particularly since Hetherington has been pretty underwhelming.

Surely Ponga or Gagai couldn't be any worse as goal kickers?

Last edited:

Knight Tales

Juniors
so all it took was two narrow losses against 2022 top four sides to start to look for negatives. Yes we were off against the Cows but it is the toughest road trip in the game physically. I am stoked where we are at. You cannot even come close to any of these performances last season.