What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Match Discussion: Round 9 vs Penrith @ Carrington Park, Bathurst / Wiradjuri

Who will win? Round 9: Penrith v Wests Tigers

• Penrith Panthers 13+

Votes: 4 80.0%
  • Penrith Panthers 1-12

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Draw after Golden Point

• Wests Tigers 1-12

• Wests Tigers 13+

Votes: 1 20.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Well well well, who would have thought.

Dally M votes:

• Panthers v Wests Tigers: 6 - Luke Brooks, 2 - Stefano Utoikamanu, 2 - David Klemmer, 1 - Fonua Pole, 1 - Apisai Koroisau

Pezz70

Juniors

Dally M votes:

• Panthers v Wests Tigers: 6 - Luke Brooks, 2 - Stefano Utoikamanu, 2 - David Klemmer, 1 - Fonua Pole, 1 - Apisai Koroisau
Brooks had a solid game, the two 40/20’s set us up but I thought Klemmer played his best game in years and probably shaded Brooksy for MOM. I can’t get myself past the inability to convert red zone dominance into points, hopefully it’ll click soon, by far the biggest concern atm, the teams were outstanding in pretty much all other facets, especially good given the conditions

Pezz70

Juniors
On another note, where’s the moderator? Those other two blokes need sometime in the bin to cool heels. The fella eluding to the other being a paedo needs a real slap, it is unacceptable on every level.

Tigerm

First Grade

Dally M votes:

Well deserved, though I had Api at 3, Brooks 2 and Klem 1, but everyone finally played well.

I assume Brooks has played himself into a contract extension:(

Last edited:

Iamback

Coach
It’s funny how over the last few years Penriff fans have been crowing about all their local juniors and how they could field just about anyone and still win. Yet we beat them on the weekend and they are all crying about having a couple out :rolleyes:

That was the past. There is a pretty handy list of ex Panthers doing the rounds at other clubs

The current depth is non existent currently

Tigerm

First Grade
That was the past. There is a pretty handy list of ex Panthers doing the rounds at other clubs

The current depth is non existent currently
I guess that's what happens when you are so successful, the salary cap bites you?

As well as the fact everyone wants to beat you bad. The Pennies are the yard stick.

The other thing is, maybe Cleary senior is not the messiah we thought he was? It’s happened before, our coach is a classic example of this?

But for us, we just gotta hope it is a start for us and not just a fluke like last year?

Last edited:

WA Tiger

Bench
mom to consider

Brooks deserved 3: The other 3 was the standard sympathy vote similar to his last Daly m award.

Backs: Bula - try assist for Nofo and saved a certain try by Cleary - potential 12 points and collected two very dangerous high balls in the wet. Add a smooth in goal kick
Forwards: I’ll show you another forward that could have done what Klemmer did. You show me another forward in the NRL that could scatter the defence like stefano did. Negatory. What does seeing that do for you as a player.

Last edited:

Tigerm

First Grade

NameTriesRMTcklPCM
10D. Klemmer01822078
3S. To'a0163647
16A. Twal015036
11I. Papali'i01122441
15J. Ofahengaue01091950
2D. Nofoaluma1109524
13F. Pole01082647
8S. Utoikamanu01061548
They all played well.

Last edited:

Ron's_Mate

Bench
‘Couldn’t have done much more’: Tigers baffled by Bula Dally M snub
Christian Nicolussi
By Christian Nicolussi
May 1, 2023 — 7.45pm

Wests Tigers officials were on Monday questioning how rookie fullback Jahream Bula failed to register a single Dally M vote in the epic victory over Penrith.

Two anonymous judges voting on a 3-2-1 basis awarded Luke Brooks six votes for his outstanding performance in the Tigers’ first win of the year over the premiers on Saturday night.

Props Stefano Utoikamanu and David Klemmer both received two votes, while Fonua Pole and skipper Api Koroisau received one vote.

In just his second NRL game, Bula set up a try, denied Nathan Cleary from scoring a certain four-pointer, and held his nerve under Cleary’s high balls in driving rain.

Cleary himself said afterwards of 21-year-old Bula: “He’s a good player ... he’s definitely built for first grade.”

Dally M voting has always been subjective, but fans are always quick to complain if an excellent effort such as Bula’s in Bathurst is completely overlooked.

Injured Tiger Adam Doueihi was surprised by the voting snub and told this masthead on Monday: “To come up against a team like Penrith and save a try, set up another, he couldn’t have done much more.”

Matthew Elliott gave Bula two votes during his call on the ABC, while Jamie Soward gave Bula one vote on 2GB.

Soward, who gave Koroisau three votes and Isaiah Papali’i two, said of Bula: “He’s silky. The way he moves around the park, I was calling for him to get more ball the whole game. You could have given votes to a number of guys, but Bula was definitely one of them.

“There’s a young wave of players coming through, guys like ‘Sloany’ [Tyrell Sloan] and Bula, these guys move with ease. He seemed like he belonged there.”

Elliott said of Bula: “He went after the game. And when you a win a game by that margin, you need to look at key plays, and if he doesn’t show up when Cleary was going to cross the line – and adjacent to the sticks – that’s game over.

“For a young player to do that against one of the best players in the game, if I was coaching him, I’d be optimistic about his future, just by that demonstration of desperation and attitude there. I thought he was really impressive.”

The NRL introduced two judges rather than one to their voting system this year, but opted to keep the identity of judges a secret.

Brisbane’s Payne Haas missed the weekend’s action because of suspension but sits at the top of the Dally M leaderboard heading into Magic Round on 23 votes, two clear of Cleary, and with Harry Grant, Reece Walsh and Nicho Hynes, last year’s winner, all on 20 votes.

WA Tiger

Bench
The logic: Must have been a fluke. Bula can’t be that good.
That Cleary tackle Bula turned him just enough, so the ball came out the top of his grip so he couldn’t ground the ball. He’s got some head on his shoulders

Last edited:

Tiger Pedro

Juniors
I didn't hear Sheens say anything other than what's obviously true...stick to the game plan and we have an ok football side...pretty straightforward.
Watching the game again I think a bit of light sledging might have got to Naden ...plus coming back into the side against his old club he looked to be trying too hard to make an impact anyway he could...tough lesson but I wouldn't over read it. Also watching Paps again...boy..he's putting some sting into his runs and tackles..he's one tough SOB and I think his best is coming soon...I did have my doubts though.
The big thing about last night's win for me though was winning in that manner in THOSE conditiins...belting down rain in the freezing cold is where experience and disciplined control pretty much always wins out over enthusiasm and any individual brilliance...the journos all mention that the rain brought the panthers " back to the pack"...really? .. it rains for everyone and it should be where experience wins out....then again maybe it did? Our forwards you could make a case for that but Ivan was also outcoached last night
I know right...
Before the game the journo's all saying Cleary's kicking game in the conditions would be the difference.
After the game they say the rain brought the panthers back to the pack and evened up the contest. You can't have it both ways boys ?!?!

I feel like I watched a different game to everyone. While I won't deny I had tears in my eyes at the full time siren and was so impressed with the defensive effort we displayed, our attack in their 20 was still terribly uncoordinated by Brooks and without the rain helping the ball slip out twice for the Panthers at the perfect moments we would have lost 20-12.

View attachment 73504
Over twice as many tackles in their 20 and only won by 4. Not taking away from the win, it was a great effort but I feel like that unless our halves do more again we'll still lose way more than we win.

Latest posts