What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Match Discussion: Round 9 vs Rabbitohs @ Bankwest Stadium

Who will win? Round 9: Rabbitohs v Wests Tigers

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

League Unlimited News

Administrator
Staff member

NRL 2020 - Round 9
South Sydney Rabbitohs v Wests Tigers
Bankwest Stadium, Parramatta
Friday 10 July 2020

Kickoff 7:55pm - Nine/9Now, Fox League/Kayo

TL-SOU20a.png

1. Latrell Mitchell 2. Dane Gagai 3. Campbell Graham 4. James Roberts 5. Alex Johnston 6. Cody Walker 7. Adam Reynolds 8. Tevita Tatola 9. Damien Cook 10. Thomas Burgess 11. Jaydn Su'A 12. Ethan Lowe 13. Cameron Murray
Interchange: 14. Liam Knight 15. Bayley Sironen 16. Patrick Mago 17. Hame Sele 18. Mark Nicholls 19. Steven Marsters 20. Troy Dargan 21. Corey Allan

TL-WST20a.png

1. Adam Doueihi 2. David Nofoaluma 3. Michael Chee-Kam 4. Moses Mbye 5. Tommy Talau 6. Josh Reynolds 7. Luke Brooks 8. Josh Aloiai 9. Harry Grant 10. Oliver Clark 11. Luke Garner 12. Luciano Leilua 13. Matt Eisenhuth
Interchange: 14. Elijah Taylor 15. Thomas Mikaele 16. Sam McIntyre 17. Chris Lawrence 18. Benji Marshall 19. Reece Hoffman 20. Billy Walters 21. Russell Packer

fevf2bE.jpg

Referees: Ben Cummins
Sideline Officials: Tim Alouani-Roby, Jon Stone
Video Referees: Steve Chiddy, Bryan Norrie

Last edited by a moderator:

leaguelegend22

Juniors
Benji absolutely has to be back for this game. I supported him being dropped but our attack is very limited without him. We have next to no shape on our right hand side without him and rely on kicks or 1 out plays for tries. No way can we match it with Souths firepower without Benji.

leaguelegend22

Juniors
BJ's suspension is a huge concern. We have no depth in the outside backs - why Madge let Corey Thompson, a solid first grader and a total professional on minimal coin, go to the TITANS beggars belief and is embarrassingly bad roster management.

We will now likely debut Kane Bradley on the wing, who in my viewing has been so far beyond first grade it isn't funny. The other alternative is Cheeks at centre which is a huge concern - remember that Kyle Lovett in the centres disaster in 2015? Very worrying signs.

Benji absolutely has to be back for this game. I supported him being dropped but our attack is very limited without him. We have next to no shape on our right hand side without him and rely on kicks or 1 out plays for tries. No way can we match it with Souths firepower without Benji.

I don't know we slaughtered the Dogs and put heaps on the Cowboys. Let's now forget Penrith are a super capable defensive team. Our attack is fine without Benji.

Our outside backs are thin thanks to BJ having his brain snap. Bradley will probably come in I'd imagine if not Jennings.

Our forwards are thin as well with Twal, Musgrove, McIntyre and possibly Lucy out.

leaguelegend22

Juniors
I don't know we slaughtered the Dogs and put heaps on the Cowboys. Let's now forget Penrith are a super capable defensive team. Our attack is fine without Benji.

Our outside backs are thin thanks to BJ having his brain snap. Bradley will probably come in I'd imagine if not Jennings.

Our forwards are thin as well with Twal, Musgrove, McIntyre and possibly Lucy out.

Those teams are honestly closer to Ron Massey Cup sides than first grade sides. We didn't need shape or structure or plays to beat any of them. They literally fall off tackles and we just run through.

Souths are a good-ish side improving each week. Unless they have a shocker, we will need a game plan to beat them. Benji is our best attacking option and this is the week to bring him back in refreshed and ready to go. Given Grub missed 9 tackles last week and was ordinary with ball in hand (to say the least), I think putting him back to the bench and bringing him on like an energiser bunny gives us the best of both worlds.

Also - the fact we've now lost the unsavoury BJ Leilua, we need attack in our team more than ever. We have no hope against Souths if we have Grub crabbing across field and dropping poor Kane Bradley on debut for an unders ball to be smashed by Liam Knight. It will be a long long long night unless we make some astute adjustments - do it Madge!

Trollhammaren

Juniors
Agreed, C Thompson sure would be handy right now.

So what's going to happen? Talau into the centres and a rookie (or possibly returning Jennings) on the wing? We can't have Chee-Kam in the centres and Rowdy is the better part of a decade past it out that way.

Bloody injuries. Would be so confident we'd pump Souffs at full strength.

leaguelegend22

Juniors
Agreed, C Thompson sure would be handy right now.

So what's going to happen? Talau into the centres and a rookie (or possibly returning Jennings) on the wing? We can't have Chee-Kam in the centres and Rowdy is the better part of a decade past it out that way.

Bloody injuries. Would be so confident we'd pump Souffs at full strength.

I imagine we will move Talau to the centres and bring in young Kane Bradley on the wing. Bradley is a tall, gangly, lanky customer with potential. He needs to bulk up before he could be considered a strong grade prospect - having him on the wing in first grade at this stage frightens me.

The other option is putting Chee Kam into the centres, which scares me even more. Letting go of Corey Thompson, one of our top 3 best players in the past 2 years is bizarre on so many levels. We have no outside backs! What the hell have you done, Madge-ic Mike?

Will05

Juniors
Team I hope for this game is
1. Doeuihi
2. Nofoaluma
3. Talau
4. Mbye
5. Hoffman
6. Reynolds
7. Brooks
8. Aloiai
9. Grant
10. Clark
11. Garner
12. Lawrence
13. Eisenhuth
14. Mikaele
15. Blore
16. Packer
17. Chee-Kam

glockers

Juniors
If both centres are out isn’t the best solution playing two players who have played centre. Talau and Doeuihi.

Then two options - Nofoaluma at fullback with Bradley and Hoffman on the wings.

Benji at fullback Nofoaluma and one of Hoffman/Bradley on the wings.

Team I hope for this game is
1. Doeuihi
2. Nofoaluma
3. Talau
4. Mbye
5. Hoffman
6. Reynolds
7. Brooks
8. Aloiai
9. Grant
10. Clark
11. Garner
12. Lawrence
13. Eisenhuth
14. Mikaele
15. Blore
16. Packer
17. Chee-Kam

Isn't Hoffmann a centre by trade? Why weaken two positions? Talau is doing well on the wing and is pretty confident fielding the high ball.

Mikaele, Blore and Packer all on the bench is probably "too much" punch, one will probably make way for Seyfarth. MCK doesn't warrant a spot either, he's been dogshit, his missed tackle on Koroisau is unforgivable, especially when a tired Eisenhuth made first contact and just needed him to read the step and take him high. Lawrence I don't think is the answer, and I'm not sure what the f**k is going on with McQueen. We're in even bigger trouble if LL fails his concussion protocol.

Last edited:
My preferred team (assuming McIntyre and LL pass concussion.)

1. Doueihi
2. Nofoaluma
3. Hoffmann
4. Mbye
5. Talau
6. Reynolds
7. Brooks
8. Aloiai
9. Grant
10. Clark
11. Garner
12. Leilua (Lawrence if not fit)
13. Eisenhuth

14. Mikaele
15. Packer
16. Seyfarth
17. McIntyre (McQueen if not fit)

Sure I read that Leilua was tested for possible broken jaw, anyway, NRL site has it as:

Young Wests Tigers forward Sam McIntyre has been cleared of serious injury after he went to hospital following a head knock against Penrith. With a six-day turnaround to Saturday's game against South Sydney, club officials believe McIntyre could play but needs to pass concussion protocols.

Luciano Leilua was helped from the field after copping a high shot in the second. The Tigers are awaiting on update on the second-rower.

• Luciano Leilua (head knock, TBC)
  • Sam McIntyre (head knock, round 9-10) and the good news is,
  • Robert Jennings (hamstring, indefinite)

Much prefer the team above by The Charlatan, basically 1 change in the 13 and give MCK the flick as he certainly does not warrant a spot.

The unknown

Juniors
My preferred team (assuming McIntyre and LL pass concussion.)

1. Doueihi
2. Nofoaluma
3. Hoffmann
4. Mbye
5. Talau
6. Reynolds
7. Brooks
8. Aloiai
9. Grant
10. Clark
11. Garner
12. Leilua (Lawrence if not fit)
13. Eisenhuth

14. Mikaele
15. Packer
16. Seyfarth
17. McIntyre (McQueen if not fit)

Don’t mind that at all, obviously the question mark is whether Hoffman can handle the step up to grade in a crucial position

Our depth is being tested big time, also hearing Twal is a possibility this Friday?

Pezz70

Juniors
I’d go with MCK this weekend, remember he hasn’t played much footy, the game is significantly quicker, he was probably shot in the first five minutes after he come on. The blowout will serve him well. He be better for it.

Pezz70

Juniors
Those teams are honestly closer to Ron Massey Cup sides than first grade sides. We didn't need shape or structure or plays to beat any of them. They literally fall off tackles and we just run through.

Souths are a good-ish side improving each week. Unless they have a shocker, we will need a game plan to beat them. Benji is our best attacking option and this is the week to bring him back in refreshed and ready to go. Given Grub missed 9 tackles last week and was ordinary with ball in hand (to say the least), I think putting him back to the bench and bringing him on like an energiser bunny gives us the best of both worlds.

Also - the fact we've now lost the unsavoury BJ Leilua, we need attack in our team more than ever. We have no hope against Souths if we have Grub crabbing across field and dropping poor Kane Bradley on debut for an unders ball to be smashed by Liam Knight. It will be a long long long night unless we make some astute adjustments - do it Madge!

Benji will need to be able to put on five or six tries as compensation for his defence. It ain’t gonna happen. I don’t know if he has been playing with an injury but his mobility against the Titans reminded me of myself playing oztag at 50, always three steps behind. If Benji plays Cody Walker will get to his outside shoulder every time and cause us real dramas (Unless Benji was injured and has now recovered). I love the Benjina, but I think he is done. :weary:

WA Tiger

Bench

No chance Madge will bring Benji back this week. ..(although he should ) He won’t because he has chartered his course and changing now is admitting he was wrong...(and he said in the post match interview the halves are playing well together) .
He’s thinking 8th on the table yip we’re good and on the improve...Wait until we are 12th then he will bring Benji back..Reactive vs Proactive as usual.

If a player is not prepared to put their body on the line in defence or attack then they can’t really expect to be playing NRL, which was Benjis problem against the Titans, virtually all he did was run across field in attack and miss tackles in defence.

Don’t mind that at all, obviously the question mark is whether Hoffman can handle the step up to grade in a crucial position

Our depth is being tested big time, also hearing Twal is a possibility this Friday?

f**k that would be awesome if he was. I'd still start Eisenhuth and give Twal a bench spot. Don't dump him in for huge minutes on return.

WA Tiger

Bench
Isn't Hoffmann a centre by trade? Why weaken two positions? Talau is doing well on the wing and is pretty confident fielding the high ball.

Mikaele, Blore and Packer all on the bench is probably "too much" punch, one will probably make way for Seyfarth. MCK doesn't warrant a spot either, he's been dogshit, his missed tackle on Koroisau is unforgivable, especially when a tired Eisenhuth made first contact and just needed him to read the step and take him high. Lawrence I don't think is the answer, and I'm not sure what the f**k is going on with McQueen. We're in even bigger trouble if LL fails his concussion protocol.
It may only weaken one position...Id prefer to see Talau have some time at centre imo he’s a natural. Under the circumstances tho I’m not that fussed. It’ll be good to see if Hoffman is any good I’ve heard he is...prob best to let him start in his favoured centre position. But you know Madge is selecting so ?????????!!!!!!