What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Matt Ballin

Terry-Randal

Juniors
Balin is no better than lesnack but i feel lesnail has untapped potential especially at half back or 5/8 . Lestranger has a brilliant passing game an elegent kicking game and could easily make a super half back. The problem is desi hazler has not had the time to give him a descent experimental run yet. If alford is out of the finals game manly will rue the day they didnt give lesnak 3 or 4 games at half to see how he went or at least give him some experience at half.

Tommax25

Bench
Balin is no better than lesnack but i feel lesnail has untapped potential especially at half back or 5/8 . Lestranger has a brilliant passing game an elegent kicking game and could easily make a super half back. The problem is desi hazler has not had the time to give him a descent experimental run yet. If alford is out of the finals game manly will rue the day they didnt give lesnak 3 or 4 games at half to see how he went or at least give him some experience at half.

Ballin>Lestrange

Ryan

Juniors
Still nothing? I am of the belief Manly cannot fit him under the cap.

Mate, we have lost:-

Menzies - UK
Bell - UK
Bryant - UK
Afamasaga - No new contract

and gained:-

Bailey - reportedly on 150k per year
T Williams - $150k per year

We can definitely fit Ballin into our cap. I'd hope for a 4 year contract.

Cletus

First Grade
I hope we can keep both of them. Best hookers we've had for ages. I actually prefer Lestrange as he seems more creative than Ballin, hopefully Des can give him a bit more game time.

Terry-Randal

Juniors

Menzies - UK
Bell - UK
Bryant - UK

I dont think a team needs 2 hookers its a waste of space since lesnak is as good as balin we will have to sell balin unfortunately. Manly should use the money to get a few forwards that may be for sale.

sass

Juniors
how much is ballin on now? I'll see if I can find enough change in the couch to pay him that much to be my personal trainer.

rrrawr.

MSIH

Bench
Def wouldn't be on too much.

f**k you're good with names Terry-Randal. Haven't seen you spell a player's name right yet. Buy a few forwards with Ballin's money? Who do you want, Ben Czilowski, Gary Winter and Dragan Durdevic?

Ballin > Le'strange quite comfortably.

sass

Juniors
sweet! thanks msih. I might buy myself a bargain *high kick*

meanwhile I rate both ballin and l'estrange ... I know a team doesn't necessarily need both but it would be a hard choice. heathy will keep getting better I think, and their styles are different enough that it's a little like choosing between apples and oranges.

Menzies - UK
Bell - UK
Bryant - UK

Also signed Hodgkinson from the Eels,and is supposed to be in our top 25 players for 2009.Part of Beavers money is exempt from the cap.With a couple of upgrades(like Perry and G Stewart if picked for the world cup) there wont be much left.

Last edited:

gong_eagle

First Grade
Ballin is a happy hooker at Eagles

Jason Avedissian

20 August 2008
http://manlydaily.com.au/article/2008/08/20/11646_sports.html

MANLY hooker Matt Ballin is set to knock back offers from rival NRL clubs and remain at the Sea Eagles.

Ballin's manager George Mimis is currently in talks with the Sea Eagles about a four-season deal which could see the rake remain at the club until the end of the 2012 season.

The Broncos' junior has generated interest from several clubs but is tipped to knock back all overtures and remain at Brookvale Oval.

"It's certainly very close," Manly boss Grant Mayer said yesterday of negotiations.

"It's a matter of working out the length of the contract.

"I think he's made it quite clear he wants to stay and we want to keep him.

"It's a matter of making it all fit within the salary cap."

Ballin made his top-grade debut for the Sea Eagles with a man-of-the-match effort against the Wests Tigers in round two last year.

But with ex-Manly captain Michael Monaghan in the pack, the Kingaroy junior was always going to play second fiddle.

Monaghan's departure in the summer to Warrington in the English Super League paved the way for Ballin to find a permanent place in Manly's pack this year.

Ballin has previously expressed interest in returning to his junior club at some point, but has always wanted to remain at Manly.

"It's always been a home for me up there (Brisbane), but at the moment I really want to stay at Manly," he said.

"Definitely at the moment Manly is my team and I'm happy here."