What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Matt Bickerstaff

Corkie292

Juniors
I'm ticked off to say the least. Fresh off the back of wasting god knows how much on an injury prone, suspension prone hasbeen like Woolford I feel that we are in real danger of losing Matt Bickerstaff. My info his that he has been offered a 2 Yr deal but for LESS money than he is on now. What a great reward for a sensational season so far. Why in heavens name are we wasting money on players like Woolford and "shafting" proven performers who have busted their guts to get a revised contract and what's more richly deserve one ? We would be far better served giving slightly more money to proven players rather than buying someone elses problems for above market prices. Am I alone in my view guys or what ?

Drew-Sta

Staff member
Not alone in your views regarding Woolford, but you'll need to give us a source for the Bickerstaff rumour or it's just here-say.

Like it's been said, many supporters disagree with the Woolford signing; Losing Bickerstaff would be another frustrating aside to his signing.

Goshawk

Juniors
We have plenty of depth and numerous players who can play in many positions. I think we should be developing the talent we've got in PL and the likes. Its something the Dragons do so well at.

I can't see why we bothered with Woolford. Unless Baz and Bailey will really free up more $ than was expected for next year.

Corkie292

Juniors
Further to my earlier reports re Matt B, the situation hasn't improved any and has in fact worsened considerably. I would go as far as to say I am resigned to the fact that he won't be with us next year. He has basically been told that there will be no increase in the previous offer made (less than last year) and to look elsewhere. Offers have been made by the Rorters, Broncos and at least 2 other NRL Clubs. My source, as close "to the horses mouth" as you can get, I'll leave that up to your imagination.

Wobbygong

First Grade
Oh well Bickers and Isemonger have been great back up players, but I certainly wouldn't be retaining those two over plenty of others still not re signed.

We need to concentrate on Creagh and Gorrell and extending Wicks deal.

Corkie292

Juniors
Gregstar, no dude I don't talk to horses, but I'm hung like one. :D
RWD05, My name's not Ed it's Wilburrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr :D

gregstar

Referee
Corkie292 said:
miniature-horse-0009.jpg

i'm so sorry.

Father Ted

First Grade
Corkie292 said:
RWD05, My name's not Ed it's Wilburrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr :D

Damm that must make me Little Joe .

Corkie292

Juniors
The final insult. Spoke to Matty yesterday re his desire to remain with the Dragons for the next 2 yrs (at least). Matt advised me that he was talking to Browny that afternoon in the hope of negotiating renewal of his contract at a reasonable figure. Have since learned that he has been told by Browny that he can remain at the Dragons but again for less money than he is on this year. Matt is absolutely shattered. He is also filthy that he was not listed by the Dragons as off contract in 07 after the 30/6 deadline. I know this may seem to be a bit of a fixation or crusade for me but I honestly feel for the bloke. He's given his heart and soul this year and been a consistent performer who deserves better than what he's got. It seems incredible to me that after losing players of the likes of Bailey, Barrett, Henderson, Millard, Best and in spite of retaining Head, Creagh, Sims, Poore etc that we can't find enough funds to reward Matt and to a lesser extent Sammy for solid seasons. I'm all for the youth policy of the Club but I still insist that we need "old heads" to take us to the next level. These young blokes are gonna absolutely sh*t themselves when they walk out in front on 40 - 50,000 at finals time and players like Matt are what we need to "do the hard yards" and settle them down; provide leadership. I for one think that Matt is worth more than $50,000 a year and that Browny & co have dead set dudded him. Hollow words from Peter Doust on Talking Sport yesterday, I don't think they had any intention of keeping them and if they did they weren't prepared to up the ante to do it. That's it, the Bickerstaff Bandwagon" has ground to a halt.

The Preacher

First Grade
I would really like to see something worked out with Bickerstaff as he has been great this year, and I agree that I would have him signed, sealed and delivered before I even thought about signing "The Germ". :(

Wicks

Juniors
We shouldnt be offering a two year contract even if its at a lower level to manage risk. I think it would be a poor decision to overextend. Hes over 30 isn't he? A year and an option would make sense. What offers are on the table from Brisbane Roosters and the other two teams? Multiple years?

The Preacher

First Grade
Wicks said:
We shouldnt be offering a two year contract even if its at a lower level to manage risk. I think it would be a poor decision to overextend. Hes over 30 isn't he? A year and an option would make sense. What offers are on the table from Brisbane Roosters and the other two teams? Multiple years?

Bickerstaff should have been signed before "The Germ" was thought about.:x