What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Matt Burton and Jarome Luai

WestyLife

First Grade
I've been hyping Burton and wanted him at 6 but I'm happy to say it looks like Luai is sorting himself out and remembering he can play as a half after spending so much time on the bench behind Maloney. You can't take the 6 off him while he's doing well so it begs the question. What do they do with Burton?

The way I see it they have 3 options:

Fullback
Centre
Ball playing middle forward

Fullback I'm not sure you can move Edwards considering his form and we have an awesome forward pack which is performing some amazing feats so it seems centre is the odd one out with Whare.

Backline would/Could be:

1. Edwards
2. Naden
3. Burton
4. Crichton
5. To'o
6. Luai
7. Cleary

soc123_au

Staff member
I think injuries will decide it tbh. I can see Luai getting a rest in the next week or 2. He has been doing a lot of work (very admirably) in defence lately. Given he hasnt really played 80 that often he is going to need a spell I think. Great chance then for Burton to stake a claim. Ivan isnt going to want to get to the end of the year & have one of the halves get injured & have to bring Burton or May in with no game time.

John Hamblin

Juniors
I've been hyping Burton and wanted him at 6 but I'm happy to say it looks like Luai is sorting himself out and remembering he can play as a half after spending so much time on the bench behind Maloney. You can't take the 6 off him while he's doing well so it begs the question. What do they do with Burton?

The way I see it they have 3 options:

Fullback
Centre
Ball playing middle forward

Fullback I'm not sure you can move Edwards considering his form and we have an awesome forward pack which is performing some amazing feats so it seems centre is the odd one out with Whare.

Backline would/Could be:

1. Edwards
2. Naden
3. Burton
4. Crichton
5. To'o
6. Luai
7. Cleary[/QUO

I think this is the backline most of us would like to see

WestyLife

First Grade
I think injuries will decide it tbh. I can see Luai getting a rest in the next week or 2. He has been doing a lot of work (very admirably) in defence lately. Given he hasnt really played 80 that often he is going to need a spell I think. Great chance then for Burton to stake a claim. Ivan isnt going to want to get to the end of the year & have one of the halves get injured & have to bring Burton or May in with no game time.

Yeah even more likely with the extra fatigue in games causing more niggling injuries and fatigue.

ACTPanthers

Bench
I honestly think IC intends to use him as a super-sub for the foreseeable future - The fact he can pretty much play ANYWHERE on the field means this may be the best use for him, given Luai is finding his feet and seems to compliment Cleary.

The_Frog

First Grade
I would rest either Nathan or Luai, whoever most needs it, next week and maybe the other the following week or against the Titans. This gives Burton a run in the halves and May a run from the bench.

soc123_au

Staff member
Yeah even more likely with the extra fatigue in games causing more niggling injuries and fatigue.
It makes the most sense. The backline you listed is very talented, but very inexperienced. We dont want to end up like Brisbane & have too many young players in the side in one hit. They will need to rotate in & out for a little while I think.

WestyLife

First Grade
It makes the most sense. The backline you listed is very talented, but very inexperienced. We dont want to end up like Brisbane & have too many young players in the side in one hit. They will need to rotate in & out for a little while I think.

I would rest either Nathan or Luai, whoever most needs it, next week and maybe the other the following week or against the Titans. This gives Burton a run in the halves and May a run from the bench.

That's smart on both counts.

soc123_au

Staff member

Nath is pretty seasoned now & only just came back. Barring injury I think he will cope fine without a break for the rest of the season. The 9 day turnaround this week should see him shake elephant man headitis.

Centre first then Fullback if he can’t get the 6 jersey.

Edwards is playing well, but he’s not good enough to command the position if someone better comes along. There seemed to be a feeling he was already a placeholder for Staines or Laurie. I reckon only genuine stars are unmovable.

Burton has all the attributes of a fullback with the added ability to be a ball player. He’s tall, quick and has good hands & vision.

The_Frog

First Grade
Burton has all the attributes of a fullback with the added ability to be a ball player. He’s tall, quick and has good hands & vision.
If Burton as a fullback were an option it would have been tried already. It's unfortunate that there isn't a reserve grade where these sort of experiments could be done.

If Burton as a fullback were an option it would have been tried already. It's unfortunate that there isn't a reserve grade where these sort of experiments could be done.

According to Nathan Cleary, Burton has been training at fullback. So it’s not just me.

plus he played on the wing in juniors just a few years ago. So experience under the high ball and with returning kicks.

franklin2323

Immortal
You have to sold entirely on Luai in 6 before you look other positions for Burton. The other issue is no lower grades to have a run it 1st.

I think the best chance is a centre going down in the game. Burton to fill in and go so well that Ivan keeps it as it is

You have to sold entirely on Luai in 6 before you look other positions for Burton. The other issue is no lower grades to have a run it 1st.

I think the best chance is a centre going down in the game. Burton to fill in and go so well that Ivan keeps it as it is

He could slip back into 5/8 easily if needed.

Right now we’d be a better team if both Luai & Burton were playing, Luai has 5/8 locked up for the next 5-10 rounds I’d say.

franklin2323

Immortal
He could slip back into 5/8 easily if needed.

Right now we’d be a better team if both Luai & Burton were playing, Luai has 5/8 locked up for the next 5-10 rounds I’d say.

can he switch from right centre to left 5/8th easily though? Crichton and Kikau are going well together so they should stay left

You’d say the next 10 rounds or so is when we will start to rest guys anyway. The last 5 rounds would be where you ramp up for the semis. By that time you would see guys mixed around and can pick the best 17

WestyLife

First Grade
can he switch from right centre to left 5/8th easily though? Crichton and Kikau are going well together so they should stay left

You’d say the next 10 rounds or so is when we will start to rest guys anyway. The last 5 rounds would be where you ramp up for the semis. By that time you would see guys mixed around and can pick the best 17

You'd assume he'd go to left centre regardless due to his left foot kick and step.

WestyLife

First Grade
The left side is carving up though. Surely the right is what needs help. To’o would get much better ball

Crichton debuted on To'o side. Both have a good pass so Crichton won't let To'o down or anything.

The main thing will be how Ivan is getting them defending at training and both are talented enough to do whatever they're prepared for which I'd guess is Burton on the left as it's similar to 5/8 for us but it's a guess.