What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Matt Cecchin

Brutalitops

Juniors
I am absolutely disgusted by his treatment.

Whether you hold grudges against him for specific calls only you remember, he was actually one of the best referees in the NRL. And more so, I know a fellow who is involved in referee internships with the NRL, and by all accounts, Cecchin is the friendliest and warmest bloke you'll ever meet

It's really disgraceful that it's come to this, but the toxicity in our game towards referees has reached a point where the well-being and mental health of these human beings has become affected.

And you know what I hate the most? It's not the fans being toxic, or social media being shit. It's the shithead commentators that enable this week in week out. Flogs like Brandy and Anasta who spent an entire game bitching about a questionable call in the first 10 mins.

Do we sometimes have problems with refereeing? Absolutely. But the far bigger problem in my mind is the referee bashing.

At least a referee gets an excuse of making a snap judgement on the spot from one single angle with two teams of screaming footy players, a full stadium and aillion viewers at home watching him. They're allowed to make mistakes.

What is not acceptable is bunker f**kups after 5000 replays at every angle over several minutes. Spare the on field refs. So much of rugby league is discretion. No human being will ever ref the same game the same way.

Shit just look at this forum, or any forum on the internet. In a single game, you'll see countless disagreements about calls going one way or the other. And we have the benefit of a comfortable home environment and commentators laying everything out.

This post has spiralled out of control a bit. It has become somewhat of a release of my long held frustration at referees treatment in the NRL. Matt Cecchin is an excellent bloke, who is being crucified over a call that is actually correct anyway. f**k the fans, f**k the commentary, and f**k Todd Greenberg for hanging them out to dry.

TruSaint

Referee

Whether you hold grudges against him for specific calls only you remember, he was actually one of the best referees in the NRL. And more so, I know a fellow who is involved in referee internships with the NRL, and by all accounts, Cecchin is the friendliest and warmest bloke you'll ever meet

It's really disgraceful that it's come to this, but the toxicity in our game towards referees has reached a point where the well-being and mental health of these human beings has become affected.

And you know what I hate the most? It's not the fans being toxic, or social media being shit. It's the shithead commentators that enable this week in week out. Flogs like Brandy and Anasta who spent an entire game bitching about a questionable call in the first 10 mins.

Do we sometimes have problems with refereeing? Absolutely. But the far bigger problem in my mind is the referee bashing.

At least a referee gets an excuse of making a snap judgement on the spot from one single angle with two teams of screaming footy players, a full stadium and aillion viewers at home watching him. They're allowed to make mistakes.

What is not acceptable is bunker f**kups after 5000 replays at every angle over several minutes. Spare the on field refs. So much of rugby league is discretion. No human being will ever ref the same game the same way.

Shit just look at this forum, or any forum on the internet. In a single game, you'll see countless disagreements about calls going one way or the other. And we have the benefit of a comfortable home environment and commentators laying everything out.

This post has spiralled out of control a bit. It has become somewhat of a release of my long held frustration at referees treatment in the NRL. Matt Cecchin is an excellent bloke, who is being crucified over a call that is actually correct anyway. f**k the fans, f**k the commentary, and f**k Todd Greenberg for hanging them out to dry.

Excellent post.

Bunker ... nameless, isolated, protected.
Commentators can call crap all day and not cop any abuse.
Head of NRL sets and CHANGES directives on a whim. Hides behind his desk.

I thought Cecchin did well not to pass blame on to those above. He has had enough and I dont blame him for walking. Hope he gets a go in the ESL.

The Damo

Juniors

100% agree.

I had to kick off my slippers.
Get off the lounge.
Stand tall.
Raise my hands in the air.
And shout YES YES YES.

You have nailed it beautifully.
Well said.

NRL referees work in a very difficult environment.
The more rules that govern the play, the more room for subjectivity - which we (me included),sometimes see as bias or incompetence.
And get a little agitated.

What do we do about it?
As a fan - maybe as an old fan - I roll with the punches.
I bend with the breeze.
If SGI are good enough they will win.
Don’t get involved with personal attacks on referees.
That’s all I’ve got.

Life's Good

Coach
Plenty of truth in the posts here.
The carry on about refs is very ordinary to the point where I’m surprised there are people still willing to do the job.
Ben Hunt made an absolute howler in the 15 GF yet the media storm was over once the game stopped because he’s a player.
Refs don’t get that luxury at all.
Nowadays, the media just ratchet up the dialogue before, during & after a game where it validates keyboard warriors into taking to social media relentlessly.
It’s a game of footy FFS.

denis preston

First Grade
Yes, agree . Their job is not helped by:

* Coaches always trying to bend the rules & spirit of the game to their teams advantage.

*Commentators harping on about individual decisions during the game and during the week.

* Supporters who think these any one decisions by refs cost their team the game. No one eyed supporter looks back to the other 50 ref calls in these games and how they may have gone their way. Teams ultimately always decide their own fate.by their performance , not the ref

*Their job & KPI's is govered by the NRL not themselves so why the anst against the refs ?

The bunker for me doesn't help them and i would advocate a 2 x captain calls a game as better than going to the bunker virtually every try.I think keep the 2 refs on the field due to the pace of the game today.

We need to better protect this role. In the US in Baseball players get thrown out of the game for just questioning or showing disgust in a decision ! This is a great move by Cecchin by putting it out there.

Dragons22

Juniors
Agreed, Matt Cecchin was actually a decent referee. I feel sorry for the guy, death threats are too far. Good luck to him for the future.

Old Timer

Coach
The media are responsible for the attitude as they perpetuate the mistakes (often only found after 300 frame by frame replays)
Fans have always given it to the refs on the day but tomorrow it was done and dusted but the Ch 9 team & Fox with all their self appointed experts just keep harping on & on & on.
One thing to remember is if social media had of existed in bygone eras I suspect many refs would have copped plenty of abuse.

TruSaint

Referee
Todd Greenburg has the guts to implement new crackdowns whenever he choses. The refs and then left to deal with the consequences.

How about a crackdown on players / Captains getting into the face of refs, carrying on for what seems like minutes, debating a call whilst giving their team a breather , and so forth. Those actions incite their fans.

A penalty is called, the only player to ask the question is the Captain. Answered and move on. Continue chatting with the ref, and bin the Captain. It will stop the non-sense.

If a ref made a poor call, then like the players, he should be dropped next week, an announcement made by the NRL as to why and move on. The constant focus on refs is really deflection by the NRL to take control of the game.