What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Matt Cooper Signs Until 2008

gregstar

Referee
wonderful news.

we should be hearing about barrett this week as well.
hopefully the gasnier crap will be settled within the next fortnight.

Slippery Morris

First Grade
Cooper Re-signs
28 February 2006

28220061314coopermatt.jpg

Kangaroo centre Matt Cooper has today agreed to terms with the club for two years until the end of the 2008 season.

Cooper is the second of the club’s off-contract players to make a formal commitment to the St George Illawarra Dragons for the next few seasons following the announcement of Dean Young (2009) last week.

The Shellharbour junior has played 99 first grade games with the Dragons since his NRL debut in Round 1 of the 2000 NRL season and is looking forward to not only his 100 game milestone but many more with the Dragons over the coming years.

“The Dragons is a great Club and I am very happy to be staying,” said Cooper. “I am a local junior and have always been given great opportunities here.

“We have a great group of players here that I enjoy playing with, a group that I want to continue to be a part of.

“Aside from the football, I like the area and all my family and friends are here”.

Cooper, 26, has played four NSW Origin Games and six Tests for his country and is hoping there is more representative football ahead.

“I will certainly be hoping to play representative football again this year, but I will be concentrating on the Dragons and my performances each week,” said Cooper. “Representative honours are a reward for consistently good performances”.

Dragons Chief Executive Officer Peter Doust said he was pleased to finalise Cooper’s arrangements with the club.

“Matt is a significant contributor to our organisation and key component of our team moving forward,” said Doust. “I am very pleased that he has chosen to stay with our Club and I am sure our fans will be too.

“I also need to compliment both Matt and Dean and their management companies on their understanding of what the Dragons stand for,” added Doust. “Both have agreed to stay with our club for less than what they would no doubt have attracted on the open market”.

Slippery Morris

First Grade
From the Dragons website. Great news. A few more players to resign and we donb't have to worry about June 30 tampering. Creagh, Baz, Gaz, Head and Sims.

Dragons_#1

Bench
i think u can kiss sims goodbye and maybe even head? im sorry to say but creagh baz n gaz are three big guns for the dragons to sign up!

Collateral

Coach
Baz is already signed up, we wont be paying him anything extra to stay if he doesnt decide to goto England.

Gaz and Creagh on the other hand are players we will struggle to keep, along with Matt Head.

I would go for Creagh, Head and Gaz in that order.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
It wasn't that many years ago that Cooper was the ropes form-wise and had to prove himself if he wanted a contract.

The Club were still 'trialing' him in 2002 when he was put in a pre-season side to play Brothers-Valleys, and he was hardly setting the world on fire.

But Cooper delivered in 2002-2003 and hasn't looked back since.

Collateral

Coach
I remember that. It was when he was playing wing and not looking too crash hot. Since he got the move to the centres that he wanted he has been killing it.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
I've always been impressed by his speed. When he gets going, its really quite deceptive. You don't think he can run that fast but he used to leave a few 'faster looking' blokes in his wake. Unfortunately we don't see much of him in open space anymore and he seems to getting noted for his defence.

The Preacher

First Grade
RedDragon said:
I remember that. It was when he was playing wing and not looking too crash hot. Since he got the move to the centres that he wanted he has been killing it.

The R2K game against the scum, I think was his "turnaround". He had a blinder that day.
Then again, according to reports received later, I had a blinder also. The Mrs. says it was the only time she saw me cry, then good full of squirt and then start laughing !!
Whenever I need to put a smile on my face, thinking of that day, my sons first trip to Kogarah for a game, it will bring a smile 'til the day I tail'em.
:thumb

Latest posts