What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Matt Dufty

giboz71

First Grade
The team was good enough to lead the comp for 16 rounds. We have gaps in our roster but I refuse to believe that we have fallen as far as the wooden spooners putting 40 on us. Our squad is solid enough to least be top 4.

Said it in JA, there is something else at play here away from the field. These was little intent, and it didn’t look like any of them were putting in (except maybe JG).

All starts with the coach and captan unfortunately. The team has no leadership whatsoever. Mary is just plain clueless and I’ve said for a while Widdop’s mind is somewhere else at the moment and has been for the last few weeks.

possm

Coach
with all due respect that's like shuffling chairs on the Titanic....They need to go back to basics....

I.M.H.O the McGregor effect has now taken place...( for this year )...can't see a way out...making up the numbers if we make the 8.
Other clubs see a problem and sometimes switch players around and make good, just like the Eels did last night. Dufty might just do a great job at 6 and we all know that Widdop did a great job at 1 during the World cup. And if that does not work out, maybe Hunt at 9, Lomax at fullback and Dufty at 7 with protection from Sims.

There are some players that for what ever reason, have not being playing well for about the last two months. Nothing has been done to address this and now it is time to shuffle the deck and deal out a new hand.

getsmarty

Immortal
The team was good enough to lead the comp for 16 rounds. We have gaps in our roster but I refuse to believe that we have fallen as far as the wooden spooners putting 40 on us. Our squad is solid enough to least be top 4.

Said it in JA, there is something else at play here away from the field. These was little intent, and it didn’t look like any of them were putting in (except maybe JG).

All starts with the coach and captan unfortunately. The team has no leadership whatsoever. Mary is just plain clueless and I’ve said for a while Widdop’s mind is somewhere else at the moment and has been for the last few weeks.

With all due respect, how is last night Widdop's Fault??? He went off around the 23rd minute we are down 10 - 0

Sterling/Fittler said on the footy show today, we are in trouble without both Vaughan and Widdop. Damien Cook especially said he rated Widdop one of the best players in the NRL...

BUCK STOPS WITH THE COACH.....not the players.

getsmarty

Immortal
Other clubs see a problem and sometimes switch players around and make good, just like the Eels did last night. Dufty might just do a great job at 6 and we all know that Widdop did a great job at 1 during the World cup. And if that does not work out, maybe Hunt at 9, Lomax at fullback and Dufty at 7 with protection from Sims.

There are some players that for what ever reason, have not being playing well for about the last two months. Nothing has been done to address this and now it is time to shuffle the deck and deal out a new hand.

Understand what you are saying possm but I.M.H.O will not make a difference because of who is coaching our side....

possm

Coach

So, do you think some of our players have been fielding offers from other clubs and therefore not concentrating on the job at hand. Or, maybe news of a possible coach appointment for 2019 that these players are not happy with e.g. Dean Young?

giboz71

First Grade
With all due respect, how is last night Widdop's Fault??? He went off around the 23rd minute we are down 10 - 0

Sterling/Fittler said on the footy show today, we are in trouble without both Vaughan and Widdop. Damien Cook especially said he rated Widdop one of the best players in the NRL...

I’m talking about the last 6 weeks since the Melbourne game.

Teams follow their captain and I’ve seen nothing from him the last 6 weeks. And you can’t pin the last 6 weeks solely on Mary.

He’s not the one on the field.

Red V for life

Juniors
I could only see what Foxtel showed, but in the 23 mins I was disappointed Widdop didn’t tear both the referees and our players a new a$$.

The first few penalties I thought were harsh (and the subsequent sinbinning) and the players...well enough said.

These 2 things have been my biggest problems with Widdop as captain. I like him as a player.

James Graham should be our captain with Widdop’s injury. The man was just pi$$ed off last night and the above things I mentioned would happen (and be shown on tv).

giboz71

First Grade
So, do you think some of our players have been fielding offers from other clubs and therefore not concentrating on the job at hand. Or, maybe news of a possible coach appointment for 2019 that these players are not happy with e.g. Dean Young?

I have no idea to be honest. It just seemed like few of them wanted to be there last night which is strange seeing they had a bonding session up north.

Friz in particular looked nothing like his usually self, same with Sims.

I think something’s up, I have no mail whatsoever but the dip in performance is just too big not to wonder?

getsmarty

Immortal

Teams follow their captain and I’ve seen nothing from him the last 6 weeks. And you can’t pin the last 6 weeks solely on Mary.

Respectfully disagree....last 10 weeks players have been in need of a rest...Coach has not rested any of them...forwards are not having the impact due to this and they are carrying injuries due to not being rested.

When our pack gets dominated , we end up going sideways ( Seeing the pattern yet ?) Same thing has happened for the last 4 years.

Coach cannot adapt game plan when we are behind..tactics remain the same...first 10 rounds refs kept the teams apart 10 metres which helped our game....this has gone by the wayside...Other teams have adapted as their coaches have modified their game plans...that is what a good coach does...

Our coach only has a Plan A..when that fails there is nothing...same thing has been happening for 4 years...

It all starts and ends with the coach.....

giboz71

First Grade
Respectfully disagree....last 10 weeks players have been in need of a rest...Coach has not rested any of them...forwards are not having the impact due to this and they are carrying injuries due to not being rested.

When our pack gets dominated , we end up going sideways ( Seeing the pattern yet ?) Same thing has happened for the last 4 years.

Coach cannot adapt game plan when we are behind..tactics remain the same...first 10 rounds refs kept the teams apart 10 metres which helped our game....this has gone by the wayside...Other teams have adapted as their coaches have modified their game plans...that is what a good coach does...

Our coach only has a Plan A..when that fails there is nothing...same thing has been happening for 4 years...

It all starts and ends with the coach.....

Fair points.

But Penrith have proven what can happen despite the coach. From all reports, Griffin was a dead man walking all year and it was so dysfunctional, Gus had to relay messages via assistants. Yet the players despite the drama are still top 4.

Jimmy Maloney yesterday with the game on the line threw the pass to Kikau last second to tie the game. He didn’t need a coach. Can’t ever recall Widdop doing that same for us. Ever.

We have a clueless coach I agree but some of our players aren’t particularly great either.

BankstownDragon

Juniors
Firstly, Dugan is gone no point looking back to the past and what might have happened. He was offered a contract and decided against it. End of story.

As far as Dufty is concerned there are 2 points that need "coaching".
1. Bombs: arent easy to take at the best of times, Slater for example has dropped plenty in his time at fullback. The issue with Dufty, IMO, is he is more concerned about getting smashed after taking it. Hence he lets it bounce to take that situation out. If I were coach, I would send him to a week or 2 with the Sydney Swans just to get an idea of how to take bombs, attacking the ball and how to protect yourself.
2. Sweep plays: always are McInnes to Hunt/Widdop then the Dufty. This worked for a while but easily coached against. Like to see him through the middle more but seems hesitant to join in through the tougher stuff.

He is 20 or so games into his career under McGregor, no development, no variation in him play. A decent coach woyld have been drooling at the prospect of taking him to an elite level.

Well said, agree with all except I'd like to add one thing ref Dugan.
He was offered a contract and didn't take it, he was disrespected by Millward publicly. This is why I believe he choose to leave Saints for practically the same money at Cronulla.
He would have made a much better right winger than the current one.
Millward has been praised by some on this forum, respectfully I have always said he is incompetent and a poor communicator and not fit for the position he holds...another one of the boys club. What basis did they choose him above any other candidate?? What was the criteria? Failed defence coach???

Let Dugan go.
Re signed Lafai.
Re signed Aitken.
Signed Graham (3 years???)
Signed McDonald
Signed latimore
Now released leeson....

getsmarty

Immortal
Fair points.

But Penrith have proven what can happen despite the coach. From all reports, Griffin was a dead man walking all year and it was so dysfunctional, Gus had to relay messages via assistants. Yet the players despite the drama are still top 4.

Jimmy Maloney yesterday with the game on the line hrew the pass to Kikau last second to tie the game. He didn’t need a coach. Can’t ever recal Widdop doing that same for us. Ever.

We have a clueless coach I agree but some of our players aren’t particularly great either.

Lets agree to disagree re Widdop...personally think he has been one of our best ( which is backed up with him continually winning players awards etc...our leading point scorer )...personally I would have someone like Graham as capt...

at the end of the day we both know little will change until we get a new coach...

We tank every year due to his inability to adapt....Re Widdop never winning us a game..go back to the parra game were he puts the kick through for Dufty and we win...close to the bell....

people have selective memories when it comes to certain players that they like or dislike...we all do it...

I personally think the supporters need to focus their displeasure towards the Board for hiring 2 rookie coaches who have down little....

Nothing will change until we out a broom through the coaching staff...at least penrith had the guts to do that even though Griffin got them in the finals or thereabouts every year...

whats our boards excuse this time ????

P.S Please don't misconstrue my comments as a personal attack on yourself...I am just so fed up with this B.S since Bennett left....the mind boggles at how badly run our club is in terms of amateur coaching.

JDHD

Juniors
He was offered a contract and didn't take it, he was disrespected by Millward publicly. This is why I believe he choose to leave Saints for practically the same money at Cronulla.
Millward has been praised by some on this forum, respectfully I have always said he is incompetent and a poor communicator and not fit for the position he holds...another one of the boys club. What basis did they choose him above any other candidate?? What was the criteria? Failed defence coach???

Let Dugan go.
Re signed Lafai.
Re signed Aitken.
Signed McDonald
Signed latimore
Now released leeson....
He didn’t publicly disrespect Dugan, he just said that they saw him as an elite centre rather than a fullback. Dugan got his knickers in a knot but now where is he? Centre, and a crap one at that.

Dragon Blood

Juniors

Actually the team has been playing Dragons footy since after the first Melbourne game this year

getsmarty

Immortal

Let Dugan go.
Re signed Lafai.
Re signed Aitken.
Signed McDonald
Signed latimore
Now released leeson....

He was not disrespected by Millward...Milward stated we will not pay him fullback money which indeed was correct. If Dugan stayed he would have been playing centre at around 750K per season ( Very Good Money )
Dugan wanted 1 mill...after going around in circles for over 6 months we pulled the deal...Dugan ended up at the sharks on around the same money and playing Centre.....

Have a talk to any sharks supporter about there thoughts on dugan...he is out injured regularly and is on good dollars....

Crush

Coach
He didn’t publicly disrespect Dugan, he just said that they saw him as an elite centre rather than a fullback. Dugan got his knickers in a knot but now where is he? Centre, and a crap one at that.
I think he's actually a winger now, and a crap one at that.

watatank

Coach
Dufty has the benefit of the doubt because of inexperience and because of McGregor. He should get better but at the same time, teams will also learn how to defend against him more effectively and exploit his weaknesses more frequently so he needs to learn quicker. He's got a grace period, interesting to see how long that ends up being

getsmarty

Immortal
Dufty has the benefit of the doubt because of inexperience and because of McGregor. He should get better but at the same time, teams will also learn how to defend against him more effectively and exploit his weaknesses more frequently so he needs to learn quicker. He's got a grace period, interesting to see how long that ends up being

May well be the case watatank, but other clubs came sniffing during his last contract extension. He will have no trouble finding another club he he wants to leave. He loves the club, biggest hurdle is the current coaching staff...should have him doing extras ; catching bombs/grubbers etc...

ozbuck

Juniors

Wow.

Cheap penalties given away... Coaches fault.

School boy dropped balls... Coaches fault.

Basic defensive errors that weren't there a the start of the year... Coaches fault, he obviously has coached them to defend this way.

Bad attitude... Coaches fault.

To say responsibility falls on the coach and not the players too screams that someone has a mission to have someone's head chopped off.

Players aren't digging in. Players have believed in the "hoodoo". There could be off field shit going on too.

Players are playing soft. They need to apologize to all involved.

watatank

Coach
May well be the case watatank, but other clubs came sniffing during his last contract extension. He will have no trouble finding another club he he wants to leave. He loves the club, biggest hurdle is the current coaching staff...should have him doing extras ; catching bombs/grubbers etc...

He wouldn't necessarily have a problem finding another club but it doesn't change what I said anyway. He would be stupid to leave anyway, he's in the type of situation that should help his development. He has a stable 6,7,9, not asked to do much and his position is safe for a while. He could leave but could easily move into a situation where he's one of many options, could be in and out of first grade, maybe end up on the outer like Bevan French at Parra (also was a highly regarded fullback, similar age as well).

Last edited:

Latest posts