What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Matt Elliot gone!?

dubby

Bench
I find it ironic that teamSatan is praying!

I applaud the Panthers for having the courage to sack this myth of a coach. I only wish the Raiders did it circa 2005 when he signed Adamson and JSmith.

Leary must be feeling a right tool for releasing Johnny Lang for this guy to hand you a wooden spoon and to alienate the players.

murraymob

Coach
it was not leary that hired him.Glen mathews was running the show then and hired hi without going to the board .Leary had no power then .He only got the power a few months ago

Caged Panther

First Grade
it was not leary that hired him.Glen mathews was running the show then and hired hi without going to the board .Leary had no power then .He only got the power a few months ago

the board were a bunch of dills for letting a bloke with zero football experience have control of the football club

flash

Juniors
Penrith still deciding on Elliott

September 05, 2008 PENRITH were unable to confirm or deny the sacking of coach Matthew Elliott.
Speculation was rife Elliott had been shown the door after a disappointing NRL season, the Panthers slumping to four losses in their last five games missing the finals.

“I spoke to the CEO (Mick Leary) at about 7.50pm and he said there hadn't been any further decisions made on Matthew Elliott's future at the club,'' a Panthers media spokesman said.

“At this stage we can't confirm or deny it.''

Leary was at a referees' function and wasn’t contactable.

The Panthers play their last match for 2008 against frontrunners Manly at CUA Stadium Saturday night.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,24301679-23214,00.html

Caged Panther

First Grade
“I spoke to the CEO (Mick Leary) at about 7.50pm and he said there hadn't been any further decisions made on Matthew Elliott's future at the club,''

That qoute puts the writing on the wall (if it wasn't already) given just last week our chairmen was saying he will be our coach next year.

murraymob

Coach
we should not laugh but how often when a board member comes out in the press giving the coach full support within days he is sacked :lol::lol::lol:

Dave Q

Coach
The board were allegedly white-anting ME a number of weeks ago as a saftey net in case the season ended in utter tragedy.

That didnt quite happen but the team is still considered as having underperformed and restless fans are becoming more questioning of overall management as another year passes without a finals appearance and a bleak outlook for the season ahead without signings, players wanting to leave while some retained players simply arent going hard enough.

Hence Elliot becomes the latest Panther scapegoat to keep the masses appeased for another season or two.

I dont think there should be any doubt in anybody minds that Elliot tried his heart out and that he did achieve a lot at the club. He can rest easy on that front.

Whether Project Elliot was the right policy to adopt is the question as is where do the panthers go from here?

I think the Panthers have to have a good close look at the top 8 clubs and how they used their resources to accomplish that finals outcome.

Bear in mind that these clubs dont have the masses of juniors the panthers have. Its been almost a curse to have such a strong junior area. When the panthers have bad and less than spectacular seasons, you'd wonder whether they had a single junior team of Under 7's.

Elliot will be tapped on the shoulder and probably heavied to resign. But all that will achieve is a changing of the deckchairs on the Titanic whilst the current management continues to underperform and remains more or less unaccountable.

And another season dissapears into the oblivion.

For every failed year with more lame excuses costs the panthers more credibility and more fans. The club has to pay overs to induce talent out west and falls further behind.

No wonder the AFL sees our region as easy prey. Us league fans of western sydney. We are the frontline grunt troops of the NRL out here. I have confidence in us troops, but not the officers, especially the local area commanders.

Sons and daughters of the Panther Player catchment, neighbours and friends, why are we not winning this war?

Last edited:

mxlegend99

Referee
Matt Elliott did achieve a lot. He got rid of Rhys Wesser, Luke Rooney, Craig Gower, Luke Priddis, Tony Puletua, Shane Rodney and Joel Clinton from our 2003 Grand Final team. The only players he has brough in of similar quality are Petero, Adam Woolnough and Brad Tighe.

Otherwise he has brought guys like Joe Williams, Richie Williams, Josh McCrone... who he has then let all go before their contracts were up at a time we were desperate for halves. Throw in letting Peter Wallace go and you can see just how little he has planned ahead.

I have no doubt he gave our club 110% and tried his best. The fact is he is just a terrible coach who was lucky enough to have a group of great players who were all no names at the Raiders, make him look like a good coach. He arrives at a club with players who are well known to have a lot of potential, fails big time and is caught out for the fraud that he is.

I'm just dissapointed that i was one of those people who rated him as a good coach, and honestly believe he could take our club somewhere. The Raiders fans were all spot on.

The Nature Boy

Juniors
Panthers deny Elliott sacking

By Brent Read
September 06, 2008 A DAY after Matthew Elliott said he would happily coach Penrith for a decade, Panthers officials were forced to deny the club was ready to sack him.
Elliott's position has been the subject of speculation for weeks but it reached fever pitch on Friday night when Channel Nine interrupted its football coverage to suggest he could be replaced by Melbourne assistant Stephen Kearney.
Penrith chief executive Mick Leary, who has grown weary of discussing the situation, denied the allegations.
"I have no idea where the rumour and innuendo has come from," Leary said.
"There is no basis to it."
Melbourne officials also said they had no knowledge of any plans by Kearney to leave the club. Privately, they believe he could remain with the Storm until his tenure as national coach of New Zealand comes to an end in two years.
Elliott was also unaware of any suggestion he would be sacked.
Conjecture over his future has coincided with an alarming slump at the Panthers. They have won only once in the past five weeks and have dropped out of finals contention.
Against that backdrop, Elliott has dealt with rumours he would be replaced by an assortment of coaches, including St Helens' Daniel Anderson, Penrith under-20s coach Steve Georgallis, St George Illawarra's Nathan Brown and Kearney.
As if that wasn't distracting enough, he has also had to confront speculation over the future of star Frank Pritchard, who has been linked with a switch to Europe despite being tied to a long-term deal.
Elliott is ready to dig in his heels. While he is aware coaches are judged on results, he believes there are other factors at play.
"My intention is to be here for another 10 (years)," Elliott said. "I'm here to do a job. The club has been very understanding and supportive. I'm not saying that because that's the party line - they have been. They're disappointed.
"There's a lot of passionate people involved with rugby league and Penrith is no exception. The disappointment there is acute.
"I don't expect people to come and hold my hand and tell me it's OK because it's not OK.
"The truth is the team is playing poorly and my job is the exact opposite - to get the team playing to its best."
As for the speculation, Elliott accepts it's part of the job. What he doesn't accept is the impact it has on his family.
"'I know this is a tough period," he said.
"It's the gig I signed up for. All right, this one has turned out to be a tougher gig than I first anticipated no doubt about that. If it was easy, as a good mate of mine told me, a journalist could do it."
Asked what was to blame for the results of the past month, Elliott made it clear internal issues had played a part.
While refusing to go into details, the former Canberra coach has made significant personnel changes during his two years at the club, encouraging players such as Tony Puletua and Luke Priddis to explore their options elsewhere.
Both will play their final games for the club tonight when Penrith meets Manly, which could determine whether the Sea Eagles finish with the minor premiership.
As for the on-field capitulation, Elliott has no hesitation pointing to the round-22 thrashing by Canberra as the moment the Panthers' season went south.
"If I was of the expectation that we were going to come up with a performance like that and I was going to skate through as a cleanskin, I'm kidding myself," he said.
"As a coach, you have to accept responsibility for the way your team performs.
"From that particular day the team I coach has not been great. I'm not sitting here feeling like a victim and thinking people are picking on me. I understand where it's coming from."
While the season has been a wash-out, the Panthers have the opportunity to finish on a positive note against Manly, a side which will be looking for a big win given what is at stake.
Manly needs a decisive victory to make certain it edges out Melbourne to claim the minor premiership. "What I can say is we can play well enough to challenge any team in the comp," Elliott said.
"I still think they have to find a little bit of improvement. That's what they will be looking for this weekend. They won't be talking about points. They'll be talking about what they have to do to win."
Penrith officials will then set about attempting to pacify Pritchard, although it appears a lost cause.
Elliott declined to comment, although in all likelihood the New Zealand international will leave for either England's Super League or French rugby union in the off-season, stripping the club of one of the NRL's most influential players.
"What we need to make sure is that every player from this point is going forward with us," Elliott said. "Every player has to be 100 per cent committed."

http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,...-23214,00.html

Not looking good

abpanther

Staff member
Article from Ninemsn

http://wwos.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=626917

"Speculation is rife that Panthers' coach Matthew Elliott will not return for season 2009 having been sacked by the Penrith club.

The club at this stage is unwilling to confirm the rumours.

"I spoke to the CEO (Mick Leary) at about 7.50pm and he said there hadn't been any further decisions made on Matthew Elliott's future at the club,'' a Panthers media spokesman said.

"At this stage we can't confirm or deny it.''

Heading into tonight's match against the Manly Sea Eagles, Penrith have won just one game from their last five appearances. The western Sydney club has failed to meet the expectations that their playing roster would suggest over the last two seasons.

Rumours this afternoon suggest that Elliott won't even attend the match against Manly.

Should Elliott resign or be sacked, it would cut his contract short by one year having signed with the club in 2007 for three years following his tenure at the Canberra Raiders.

The man most likely to fill Elliott's role is current assistant coach with the Storm and New Zealand head coach, Stephen Kearney.

Another possibility is former Dally M coach of the year Daniel Anderson who is heading back to Australia following a highly successful stint with St Helens in the UK Super League. Anderson is yet to secure a job but is sticking to an agreement with his daughter that she be allowed to start high school in Australia.

Anderson's manager Jim Banaghan told News Limited earlier this week that clubs should give the current St Helens coach serious consideration.

"Daniel doesn't want to undermine any current coach but at the same time it is down to due diligence that clubs look at their options," he said. "

*Sandy*

First Grade
Lots of club officials respectfully stood in the middle of the ground whilst the boys did their lap of honour ... yet funnily enough both Adamson and Elliott were nowhere to be seen. Could this be a telling factor of what the future holds? ;-)

bigfoot

Juniors
Lots of club officials respectfully stood in the middle of the ground whilst the boys did their lap of honour ... yet funnily enough both Adamson and Elliott were nowhere to be seen. Could this be a telling factor of what the future holds? ;-)

I think Elliott wasn't there because he was at the post-match press conference. Not sure where I read/heard that though.
Regardless, I hope it's a telling factor of what the future holds! :)
I think we'll find out within 24 hours.

maple_69

Bench
Either way the coach should be there to see off his players. Poor planning or Elliott is just a wanker, or perhaps the players didn't want him there.

murraymob

Coach
a board meeting is being held tommorow .One thing is on the agenda .By tommorow we will know if he is gone.Elliott has been told of the meeting and what is to be discused